Trailer Trash

the Thursdaily (Read 21 times)

Bert-o

I lost my rama

dhuffman - I'm with warden that free weights are better than machines for the reasons he stated.  And you can get pretty clever with free weights too.

Dr J - Nice surprise in your bank account!  Always a nice feeling to see it when it arrives.

LB2 - Go get that streak!

Daydreamer - Nice job on DW on her walks (now with some running)!  Looks like you're starting to pick up some nice consistency as well.

AT - Hope the timing works out with DD1 so you'll catch her in Portland.  Great news on her job!!!

XT - I'm also assuming SSI will stays solvent.  But it's so far off for me that the "ass" in assume will be quite large by then.

QOTD:  Don't consult with anyone.  We'll probably sell our primary home (mortgage free by retirement) for the nest egg, then live in our cabin (also will be paid off).  Will have some other smaller liquid accounts, but nothing big.  Also buy a Power Ball ticket every now and then.

Looks like I'll be discharged from the hospital tomorrow.  Still can't talk and can only eat/drink from a straw, but the symptoms are improving.  I have a nasty sore on the balls, but I have experience with that.  Doctor said I should expect to stay home for another week or so, as I'll be on recovery meds for another 4 weeks.  I told her that I have a marathon on Sunday and asked her if it's ok if I ran it.  She looked at me as if I was serious, and she said in an emotionless expression, "No."  Well then.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Berto__So sorry all this bullshit has happened to you over the last month or so.  Shit! When it rains it pours!!  Hope the storm has passed.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

runtraildc

Bert-- did they rule out Behcet's? You're new reported symptom triggered my memory of reading this WashPost article this week.  It is also more prevalent in those of asian descent.  Here's the article: WashPost medical mystery Behcet's

Looks like I'll be discharged from the hospital tomorrow.  Still can't talk and can only eat/drink from a straw, but the symptoms are improving.  I have a nasty sore on the balls, but I have experience with that.  Doctor said I should expect to stay home for another week or so, as I'll be on recovery meds for another 4 weeks.  I told her that I have a marathon on Sunday and asked her if it's ok if I ran it.  She looked at me as if I was serious, and she said in an emotionless expression, "No."  Well then.

Sandy-2

Every time I think I have it figured out someone will say "yea, but what about this?"   Then It's back to the drawing board to make sure things are covered.  From what I'm told waiting until your 70 to draw, or at least sign up for Medicare, can really leave you wide open to huge increases in your insurance premiums.

I'm quite certain that DW will sign up for Medicare at 65 both to lock in the premiums and to get away from the insurance she is in right now.

DD, sorry if I wasn't clear.  There are a few different things going on.

(a) when to start collecting social security. As I indicated you should try to maximize the total payout but it depends of a few variables.  You can collect more monthly payouts if you start early (say age 62) but the payouts are lower, or you can get them at your 'official retirement age' (around age 66 or 67), or wait until the monthly payout amount maxes out at age of 70. The longer you wait to collect, the higher the monthly payout, but the total number of payments if you start collecting early could be more.  That's why I mentioned the actuarial tables. They say to try and maximize the total payout.

(b) Although I didn't mention it, even if you aren't retired, they say everyone should register for Medicare at age 65 for the reasons you mention above.  This is totally different that item (a) above.

(c)  Although you can get Medicare at 65 as in (b) above, you should also get supplemental medical insurance that covers stuff not included in Medicare.  That's the thing I mentioned where if you start the supplemental insurance coverage premiums early they are less cost each month, but you're paying those premiums even before you're on Medicare.  But if you wait until later like after 65, the monthly premiums are larger. This is a case of the insurance companies getting you either way.

tbd.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Bert-- did they rule out Behcet's? You're new reported symptom triggered my memory of reading this WashPost article this week.  It is also more prevalent in those of asian descent.  Here's the article: WashPost medical mystery Behcet's

runtrail - Many Thanks for that article.  No they did not mention Behcet's, even though the head doctor said they have no conclusion as to the cause.  This is the first time I've ever had these types of symptoms (mouth uclers and eye sores) before.  If it happens again, I'll keep this in mind to ask.  The main medication they're giving me (prednisone) is what they ultimately gave the woman in the story for Behcet's.  They're also giving me acyclovir, even though I'm not tested positive for an active virus at the moment, but just in case.  Interesting though that there's no active virus, but the mouth sores tell the doctors that it's the primary suspect.  Even when I went to the doctors office last Friday, the PA suggested I get tested for STD's per protocol, which I did and was negative for all.  So you might be onto something.

Sue - Thanks.  When it pours like this, I just laugh and take it all in.  It's all good.  I just have to wander the halls of the hospital to easily see that it could be much worse and put it all in perspective. 

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

bert- glad that things are improving, albeit slowly- hope the improvement continues and picks up pace

Mike

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I told her that I have a marathon on Sunday and asked her if it's ok if I ran it.  She looked at me as if I was serious, and she said in an emotionless expression, "No."  Well then.

Hehe.  Definitely not a runner.  I really hope you continue to heal up quickly, Berto!

Running is dumb.

Sandy-2

Get well quick Bert-o!!!

tbd.