Trailer Trash

Wednesdaily (Read 22 times)

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Can you imagine how they feel now. 

if the people who were assaulted were thru hiking; they may not wanted to back track 100’s of miles or be delayed for a week or longer

in hindsight I’m sure they wish they had Sad

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Queen of Nothing

Sue

OMG how could I forget Mash!  and emergency

Emergency ranks right up there with MASH for being my favorite.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

NorthernHarrier

Queen -thanks!

Gatsby--safe travels and good luck.

Well, right on cue it's May 15th and the black flies are in full swing. 

Right after I read a few days ago about the AT attack I was wondering if I did a thru hike of that magnitude would I carry? Might be inclined to I guess. I'm like Daydreamer in that I'm always thinking the same way. Never plan on being a victim. I once drove the blade of a canoe paddle right thru a bad guys mouth.  Ended that nonsense in a hurry.  A story for around the campfire someday.   The other thing is maybe you take off the basket on a trekker pole and that may become a very penetrable weapon. Bear spray. IDK.  Something to ponder.  So tragic.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Getting ready to head out for a few miles. Looks like rain, but forecast says it's not going to rain until 5 pm, so that's what it has to be. 

I have not heard about the attacks on the AT, sounds scary. I might look that one up. From the outside, it's hard to tell how to best react to an attack when you're alone in the middle of nowhere - fight back, comply, plead,...? You can only guess what's going to happen.

QOTD: I grew up in Austria without a TV, but my friends had TV sets (black and white, of course), and when I was in the US, my sister and I watched TV almost every afternoon whenever we had the chance.

Flipper, Lassie, Bonanza, Mash, The Partridge Family, and then a series with a doctor on Hawaii (don't remember the name of the show). Starsky and Hutch was fun, especially when we watched it in Mexico, in Spanish, and the show was called "Starky y Hutch" (pronounced "starky eeh ooch").

Anyone remember Detective Kojak? The bald NYC homicide investigator with the lollipop?

Run for fun.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

6 miles easy and felt almost back to normal

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

dhuffman63

Trails

NH...oh my I think the same way not sure why but I always assess a situation from a threat perspective.  I vary my routine even though it's safe here, or relatively.  There was a lady who lived 5 miles away, met  a couple who were homeless or near about, she invited them to stay for a little while, fed them and they turned around and beat her to death with a hammer.  I try not to judge people but really don't feel comfortable around strangers.

George, have you ever done the Across the Years in AZ?  I'm playing with the idea of it but I'm not sure about flying in or trying to drive there.  I followed a lady last year's posts and it seemed it was quite chilly.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

George, have you ever done the Across the Years in AZ?  I'm playing with the idea of it but I'm not sure about flying in or trying to drive there.  I followed a lady last year's posts and it seemed it was quite chilly.

Yes I have, in 2015, day 1.  It can get quite chilly.  It dropped down to freezing, maybe a bit lower overnight the year I ran. It's quite an affair.  The aid station is incredible and they have a warming tent with propane heaters.  I stayed for the entire 6 days and hung out in the warming tent a lot listening to the veterans telling stories.  I had rented a tent and sleeping bag instead of getting a hotel room so I was on site except when playing tourist in the area and visiting with my brother.  I also had a number of friends in the 6 day whom I was cheering for.  I spent quite a bit of time volunteering in the aid station as well when they were shorthanded.  I'm thinking about going out this year, but any further race decisions are on hold until after all the follow up doctors visits to see if this last ER visit was anything more than exhaustion.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LB2

There was time that you didn't really have to worry too much about the chilly temps at night at ATY. You could run a loop, sit in a toilet for about the time it takes to run another loop, then go through the timing mat again. So bring a jacket. Smile

LB2