Trailer Trash

Another Marathon RR (Read 47 times)

Occasional Runner

I ran the Ogden Marathon today as a training run. It turned out to be a decent event for a road race. It's a fairly brief RR because what can really be said about a road marathon?

Thanks for checking it out.

http://www.slippingslowlyintopain.blogspot.com/2013/05/ogden-marathon-it-didnt-totally-suck.html

Birdwell

Nice job!

How did you become so good at pacing? Is it a constant stare at your watch kind of thing, or you're run so much you just know how certain paces "feel" for you?

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Congratulations, sounds like a good race!

Run for fun.

Occasional Runner

Nice job!

How did you become so good at pacing? Is it a constant stare at your watch kind of thing, or you're run so much you just know how certain paces "feel" for you?

I only looked at my watch every 3 miles, just to make sure I wasn't falling off my pace. I broke that rule twice during the race. Once when I stopped to talk to Jo and again after mile 14 after finishing a long climb. Both times, I was about 30 seconds off my pace.

Otherwise, I manage pace based on feel. This only works if you're conditioned well enough to not fall off pace as the miles build. The other key variable is nutrition. If you make a mistake on either issue, your perceived effort will stay steady but your actual pace droops off steadily.

It was really an experiment and I didn't know what to expect.

muppy

Nice job on another race, looks like a nice course for a road race!

Low_O2

Nice Job! Sounds like a solid training run. Impressive pacing for sure.

I had to chuckle at the picture showing the girl in front of you running in a tank top and skirt while the dude behind you is wearing a gigantic trash bag. Looks like he is catching a bit of wind....

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I had to chuckle at the picture showing the girl in front of you running in a tank top and skirt [...] 

I saw that picture and thought maybe that was the secret to even pacing Wink.  Nice run...cool to see the VIP treatment.

**Ask me about streaking**

Occasional Runner

I saw that picture and thought maybe that was the secret to even pacing Wink.  Nice run...cool to see the VIP treatment.

That woman was running her guts out. She faded after mile 17 when the big downhill started. I don't know if she was used up or if she had issues with running downhill. When I took my windbreaker off at mile 23, I froze my ass off.

Watoni

I ran the Ogden Marathon today as a training run. It turned out to be a decent event for a road race. It's a fairly brief RR because what can really be said about a road marathon?

Thanks for checking it out.

http://www.slippingslowlyintopain.blogspot.com/2013/05/ogden-marathon-it-didnt-totally-suck.html

Funny! Love it ....

Ultra Cowboy

Right before the race start, I had a chance to hang out with a few of my buddies from our local trail running group. I quickly realized that talking to badass trail runners at a road race is very much like talking to your buddies while standing in the tampon aisle at the grocery store. It's nice to see them, but it's a bit awkward. At least until we change the subject to running 100 mile races. That seems to break the tension.

Well said.

Nice to know about how the "pacing" feels.  You expressed that well.

WYBMADIITY

Save

Occasional Runner

Nice to know about how the "pacing" feels.  You expressed that well.

Thanks!

DigDug2

That woman was running her guts out. She faded after mile 17 when the big downhill started. I don't know if she was used up or if she had issues with running downhill. When I took my windbreaker off at mile 23, I froze my ass off.

She blew up because of the arm panties.

DigDug2

Nice pacing, great to hit your goal.

Ditto on the UD flask - very hard to drink out of, not easy to hold for such a small flask.

Ultra Cowboy

Question on the Flask.  Have any of you tried adding water to the gels to improve flowability and reduce viscocity?

WYBMADIITY

Save

Occasional Runner

Question on the Flask.  Have any of you tried adding water to the gels to improve flowability and reduce viscocity?

I always add water to my gels when I use a flask, especially in colder temperatures. I want it at a very runny constancy and it helps to mute the strong flavor.

I also add gel to my Perpetuem sometimes because I like to mix flavors. It gets really tiring when you taste the same flavor for 20 hours.