Trailer Trash

Microspikes vs Exospikes vs Nanospikes (Read 19 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Thought I would give a brief overview of these traction devices as tis the season Smile

Kahtoola Microspikes are their top tier, hardcore traction devices- think mini crampons.  If there is a lot of ice to deal with, this is what I grab.  They have long aggressive teeth that really bite, good enough I've never thought anything of running full out when most folks are just trying to stand upright.

They are long lived, my last pair finally gave out after six winters and probably 2500-3000 miles.  I would give them a quick sharpen with file in the fall and were good to go all winter.  The rubber rands are what finally gave out.

Nanospikes in my opinion are what you want if you're traversing an urban area and not running.  I keep a pair in the pocket in my front door, if it's icy, I just slip them on.  They would do in a pinch for running, but don't have nearly the traction of the Microspikes.

Recently released, the Exospikes- they bridge the gap between Nano and Micro.  I've been using mine a lot this winter as it's been pretty mild and ice is intermittent.  This is where the Exospikes shine, still good grip on ice, but if you hit a mile of no ice, no big deal, just keep them on.  If you hit a stretch of heavily iced stuff, I exercise just a bit of caution as they are not as grippy as the Microspikes.  You could use Microspikes in these intermittent conditions, but you're overly wearing the big teeth and they simply aren't as comfortable off ice as the Exospikes with their shorter spikes.

So..

Microspikes- hard core ice

Exospikes- intermittent ice

Nanospikes- for around town

Also if you're on the cusp in-between sizes, go the next up.  They won't come off (have never had a pair come off!) and they'll be a little easier on/off.

Microspikes in action at last weeks trip to Casey Peak

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Sandy-2

Thanks!!!  By the way, it was about 75 degrees here yesterday.  

tbd.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I think it's been about 4 years since there's been enough winter precipitation here to need those.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

well just in case you guys winter vacation somewhere north-ish 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

The non-snow folks appreciate the visuals so we know what you’re talking about.  

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Pain is my friend

I have some mid range tractions that is good for about anything except ice and really steep. I plan to get some Kahtoola microspikes. But for now I avoid the ice. Most of the time I bring traction but do use it.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

my trails almost impossible to avoid it; the beauty of the Exos is I just leave them on- might be a 1/2 mile w/o ice, then a lot of ice, then no ice and back and forth.  the lower spikes of the Exos doesn’t bother me in the dry sections, microspikes would

but there are definitely times when you want the most traction and only microspikes will fill that bill

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Thanks Mike.  How do they feel wrapped around your shoe.  Looked at a pair and thought they would bother the foot (in a running shoe not boot) and may actually make your foot colder.  I have been “running” on icy patches but have been taking baby steps. If I got any it woukd be the nano spikes.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Sue- you won't even know they're on, except that your not slipping and sliding Smile- very comfortable and no influence on how warm (or not warm) your feet are.

Mike

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Sandy-2

On my run this morning my DD told me about this tragic story and how the father wrote about it later to caution other hikers. After reading it I thought of this mt post. 

Stay safe out there everyone.

https://www.pcta.org/2021/doug-lahers-call-for-safety-in-memory-of-his-son-trevor-87656/?fbclid=IwAR3WtssSzLHcbwx-mlkAyX1st334YoeTeyvD3v0y4bDoJaCQKpZfaipnj1I

tbd.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

thanks for posting that Sandy- lots of good advice in there, tragic story  Sad

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √