Trailer Trash

It's all about the Buckle - Possum’s Revenge Race Report (Read 27 times)

That buckle and shirt are certainly "special."

Yikes on the barfing, heat, and humidity.  None of which I do well.  

But great TRT training for sure.  Nice job!

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Sandy-2

But great TRT training for sure.  Nice job!

Thanks Gatsby. Any inside scoop on the TRT?

Chances of it getting hot?

Direct sun?

I see that we should plan for cool at night.

Rocky or smooth?

Here's a photo from last weekend so you can recognize us at TRT.  Ha ha ha.

tbd.

Sandy, I did the 50 last year and I do have some thoughts and pics to share.  I'll post when I'm back from my jaunt to Lassen this weekend.

drock69

thanks for the race report! Races have such different challenges in different places, I have a hard time imagining that kind of heat and humidity

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Nice picture...I’ve never run TRT but I have run the whole Rim Trail.  My reasoning fir not doing that race is I do think you get a lot of direct sun and it was pretty hot when I’ve ran up there.  I also find the trails to be fairly smooth...there are places with rock but ones you step around...not have to run over or through.

Direct sun?

Rocky or smooth?

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Daydreamer1

I love that belt buckle.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Congratulations Sandy, well done! That heat and humidity sound awful, it can certainly do one in.

Potatoes are a great ultra food when the stomach is sore. Another one that works for me is melon. Both also contain a lot of potassium, so that helps with muscle cramps as well.

I am sure Devan will get her buckle next year. Saving her knee for the goal race is certainly a wise decision.

Run for fun.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Nicely done Sandy!  Glad you were able to overcome the heat issue, I've never had much luck.

Curious how does your DD tolerate the heat?  I wonder if younger folks have an easier time?

umm............yeah........... that's a nice looking belt buckle;  of course there are many areas of the country probably best to keep it locked away 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Direct sun?

Rocky or smooth?

Nice pic of you guys!

TRT will be hot (80s) during the day but not humid.  More the opposite, air at that altitude is dry so you should be extra vigilant about staying hydrated.   The climb out from Diamond Peak is a killer (and you get to do it twice!).  It's a fire road from ski lodge to the top of the ski lift.  You do it at the hottest time of the day, there's no shade, it's steep, and it's endless.  See mile 30 & 80 in the profile.  Load up with ice at the Diamond Peak aid station -- bandana, hat, sleeves, whatever you have.  At the top of the climb, make sure to stop and turn around to take in the best view of Lake Tahoe that you'll get.  The other hard climb is the Red House Loop, around mile 12, when you drop down and then come up another slog of a hill.  Aid stations are great -- these volunteers are real pros.  You will not want for anything.  Yes, it will be cool at night.  I was out all night on this course pacing a friend a couple of years ago, and I wore 2 light jackets, gloves, and a warm hat.  Of course, we were moving pretty slowly too.  Trails are not too technical -- maybe a few rocky stretches.   You guys will start an hour before I do so I'm not sure I'll see you out there, but it's possible.  Good luck!

Some pics form the course.  That's me at the bottom (at TRT, above Marlette Lake, with Lake Tahoe in the hazy background).  It was a little smokey last year from fires, hopefully that doesn't happen this year.  Didn't bother me during the race.

Sandy-2

Gatsby, thanks so much for this info.  It really helps!!  I’ll be studying it along with the maps.

By then temps in the 80s will feel cool!!!  I hope.

tbd.