Trailer Trash

Woodside Ramble 50K Race Report (Read 194 times)

runfastandie

First- Thanks for all the responses to yesterdays Dailies! A great read!!!

Summary: 50K. Rain. Cold. Pain. Hurt. Horrible. 7:10ish. Sharp contrast to my wonderful 7:13 Quad Dipsea 3 weeks ago.

2012 was a year of first runs- Rim to Rim through the Grand Canyon, the Quad Dipsea- my first ultra, and wrapping it up with my first 50K through Woodside, California.

Leading up the race the weather forecast changed daily and the morning of the race I still didn’t know what I was wearing or the hydration system I was going to use so I packed it ALL up and went on my merry way. The first sign, a block of ice on the windshield, had me realize what I might be in for. This race goes through the woods and over the hill so I knew it wasn’t going to warm up.

Fully dressed in snow gear I picked up my bib and tried to scout out what everyone was wearing. I  interrogated experienced runners  and decided on  a tshirt, warm arm panties, ball cap and light gloves.  I also chose my running vest which in hindsight was even more brilliant than I realized. 

At 8:30AM everything was a go! I met up with Eric who told me great stories and we made our first 5 mile climb up. There were a slew of runners that had run the Quad Dipsea too  on Thanksgiving weekend and it was great fun hearing stories. Hit the first aide station and fueled to the max. For the next 5 miles a group of us ran together through the flats and it was great to get my mind of the trail but unfortunately I couldn’t convince any of them to go long and at the next aide station they went back at the 35K turn around.

From here the trail went straight down for  5 miles.  I was getting tired, which was strange, it also was extremely cold and my right arch in my foot was telling me hello. I tried ignoring all these things and smiled along but by mile 17 and the return up that second hill I could no longer walk.  Some muscle I’d never felt before in my inner leg was screaming. When I walked up, the pain was misery- if I jogged, it was ok. This then created a problem in my Achilles.  And…….then it began to rain.  I cried. And that would be far from my last tear.  As I climbed I thought “This is what it feels like to be injured on a race.”  I thought back to all those race reports and novels I’ve read of people that hurt, and continue to run.  Oh and it sucks.  I started walking duck like and that took a break off my inner thigh but within a mile my outer hip was on fire.  Racing and injured just plane S.U.C.K.S.

After cresting the mountain and blubbering again I really wanted to drop out.  The volunteers at the aide station didn’t even ask- they were having a party, taking pictures of runners and being super helpful.  They sent me on my way and I decided to take the ibuprofen I brought. By the next aide station my inner thigh problem was gone but the foot was insane. Every step hurt and there was no way of changing, or moving so it wouldn’t.  At this point it was pouring, miserable, and I was so thankful I had my vest as it kept my back nice and warm.  I loaded up on food and begged the aide volunteers to check for my number at the end- I wanted to make sure I didn’t get lost and left out in the cold all night.  I was certain to make no mistakes in following the yellow flags back to the finish. 

As I ran I leap frogged with a few people. I tried to just keep the pace but my blubbering tears, the rain, the puddles and the cold took a toll.  Every time I thought of dropping out I kept saying, “Tell people for weeks why you DNF or suffer the pain and crawl your way in.”

In the end, I ran/walked with a very nice fellow who was secretly running his first 50K. If it was a secret, I would have called it a day and turned around at the 35K mark. 

I’ve had a lovely season. My running experiences have been “epic” as my kids would say.  I wish I could have gone out strong, but in the end if I had, perhaps I wouldn’t take the well needed break and I’d be going for a 50miler. I’m glad to be done. The hobbling will last a few days I’m sure. There was certainly no ice bath yesterday- I was freezing from the inside out so I took an Epsom salt hot bath instead.   While yesterday was not my day in the least, I have the most amazing pictures of my other adventures, local and afar.  I’m not sure what next year will bring, but the gym with its roof and heating system is looking mighty fine in the meantime.

Congrats on finishing your first 50K! Sorry it turned out so miserable, but despite all the tears along the way--YOU FINISHED A 50K! Yay you! Pay attention to the hobbles, and see a doctor if the pains don't start subsiding soon. 

You've had a great season! I'm looking forward to reading a lot more reports from you in 2013.

RabbitChaser

Sorry you had a tough race, but congrats on battling through and finishing your first 50K! Thanks for sharing the RR.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Congratulations, Andie, you toughed it out and made it to the finish line! What a race, what a battle!

Rain and cold can be really  bad, I had that experience just a few days ago, and I also shed some tears along the trail. I think your body just tells you strongly that this could be a dangerous state, and this slams your spirits without mercy. No shame in crying, as long as you pick yourself up again and keep going.

I hope your foot and leg will recover soon again. Take it easy for a few days. I am sure some cookies will work just fine as a medicine!

Run for fun.

Watoni

Andie,

I know you did the Quad, but this is a tough course under any condition, much less wet and on the verge of freezing!

Two other things come to mind. That Skyline trail section has significant climbing and is never flat, and in the wet erosion is an issue and it is very easy to pick up a knock on the foot you do not notice at first. I have done that a few times.

Also, those longer climbs can really sock it to you, epseically when you are coming off a run as hard as the quad. Since my 50k two weeks ago I am definitely dragging and my endurance is down. Perhaps the two events were too close together for you to rock them both?

Anyway, I am sorry I missed you out there, but if I had seen you in a state I would have packed you about 3/4 mile up the road at the Solstice party where the hostess would have had you taken a shower and put some food and mulled wine in you! Two women there did the 10k and the 1/2, and when I said I was looking for someone out there on the 50k they shivered just thinking about it.

Today is not much better here, but believe it or not it is sunny at the coast ...

AT-runner

Tim

Congratulations on finishing your first 50K.  Not the day you wanted, but you soldiered through and that is nothing to take lightly.  

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Andie great job toughing it out.  The 50K I quit this year still brothers me when I think about it.  It was your first and you did awesome.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

runfastandie

Thanks everyone.   I appreciate all the comments and perspective.

Watoni- thanks for the comment- That section was actually the worst in terms of soggy, muddy rocky.  The last 5.6 down back to Hubbart was wet and cold but the footing was much better (despite feeling there was a knife in my arch).

Pretty sure it is pot tibial tendonitis. It hurts

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

first -a big congrats completing your first ultra! (although I think I'd count the quad as a legitimate ultra as well Smile)

second- wow!  way to tough it out, very (very) inspiring

third- hope yours ills are short lived and you mend quickly

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Birdwell

Congrats on toughing it out for a finish! 

Ultra Cowboy

Andie were you running with my buddy Dan?  Triathlete from Santa Rosa?

Glad you finished despite the emotional toll it took on you. 

Atta girl...

WYBMADIITY

Save

runfastandie

Rocky 2- Yes! I was!!! If it weren't for him I'd still be out there. He was some serious motivation and he finished very strong.  As I was losing all hope he just jogged right past me and up the hill! Amazing!

Ultra Cowboy

Dan is a good guy.  His wife didn't even know he was doing the 50k.  She did the STTS last June with me. 

WYBMADIITY

Save

mecrowe

Computer Geek

Great job Andie...great job!