Trailer Trash

Forecast Fiasco Friday (Read 17 times)

LB2

Well, our 1 to 2 inch rain forecast for the entire storm system changed to an actual 5 inches of rain in 3 hours last night, and the storm hasn't even made landfall. It was a forward rain band. I actually think we may be in a position to get less once the storm actually lands because of the dry air that should be sucked up into it. I am not a meteorologist, but I seem to be more reliable than they are by just looking at the radar on my phone. I don't even know why I turn the damned television on at all anymore. Anyway, I got out for a 3 mile run by myself, and I took the dog out for a 1 mile hike.

QOTD: What is the most incorrect weather forecast you can remember?

I think it was in 2007 or 2008 when there were some models that forecast significant amounts of snow. The weather people dismissed it as an outlier, and said we may get a few flurries. I think it dumped 6 inches of snow on us that night. Six inches of snow in SE Louisiana is going to shut everything down. We had fun, though.

LB2

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

No run yet, instead I had to go get some blood drawn. Fun times! But I will run soon on my lunch break.

QOTD: I remember one just last year where we were not supposed to get anything or maybe a very low percentage of a snow maker. We were at work and it started snowing. We all said it wouldn't last and also wouldn't stick. A few hours later, I was cleaning 3-4 inches of snow off my car and it took 45 min to get home (only 3 miles). Most of that was traffic being backed up as it surprised most people.

Have a great weekend!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Running later, but hopefully before noon.

QOTD:  Late January 1967, driving home for semester break the forecast for Chicago as I left Champaign was for 1-2" of snow.  I never made it home and sat out the storm in Kankakee as Chicago was hit with 29" in a 24 hour period.  O'Hare Airport was closed for 3 days.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Pain is my friend

6 easy taper miles this morning.

qotd: We could use some of that rain in the west LB2. It is so dry and it would put out the fires. I look at weather apps but then just go out side and see how it feels.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

Sandy-2

You don't need a weather man
            To know which way the wind blows.

Bob Dylan - Subterranean Homesick Blues

Got up early to get 12 miles in incase it gets crazy later (which it's not supposed to do).  It was very muggy, that pre-DELTA cyclic east-wind blowing in moisture from the Gulf and west LA/east TX swamplands.  Yummy.

qotd: I remember getting struck in an early fall snow storm in upstate NY when I was going on a weekend trip in college. It was probably a combination of a bad forecast, being in the mountains (near Lake Placid) and being young and probably not checking to carefully.  I ended up driving into a snowbank and having to get pulled out by a tow truck. I barely had any money and had to give it all to the tow truck driver, but I had a friend with me and he loaned a few bucks (so we could get some beers as I recall). 

tbd.

XtremeTaper

6 miles last night out at the lake in creaktacular fashion. Really slogged about, typical achey knee syndrome. I should take a rest day I suppose but the pandemic streak must roll on. Took the dogs out for their wog this morning, will run Baker tonight for 5 or 6 at a TTBD.

QOTD: Oh, I can't recall the specific occurrence or date but they frequently predict huge amounts of snow from Noreasters and we get nothing but rain or a few flakes.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Didn't get out until a bit after noon, but had a very nice light interval workout to stretch out my legs: 10 x 200m at about 8K pace.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

9 miles with intervals yesterday, 3 mile walk today.

QOTD: No one forecasted the apocalyptic conditions we experienced in September, when the smoke was above the fog and blocked out the sun for the entire day.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR