Trailer Trash

The Thursdaily (Read 18 times)

runtraildc

Site seems wonky again and is again causing us to post late! So here goes. No run yet, but am planning on 4 or so with Chowder during practice this afternoon.  Not sure the exact trail as the woods might be questionable after the rain we've had lately and the gale winds now.  I always worry about a tree coming down on me, yet don't worry about getting in the car and driving to the trail.

qotd: Trail worries-- real or imagined? or exaggerated? See above. And I usually forget  to tell anyone my running plans, even DH (who always tells me when he's off the water from kiting). I should worry about that more than falling trees, even though I'm not out in remote spots, I am usually running alone.

moonlightrunner

No run or swim today. I might have overdone yesterday's deepwater run with anke weights and higher intensity. My knee hurts and I feel like crap. I decided to take tomorrow off from work so I can have an extra day visiting my daughter and grandchildren. I just have not felt good lately and need an extra day. Looking forward to the drive there by myself.

Qotd: I worry about falling trees and branches when windy since I am always in the woods. I love high wind runs...but nowadays I worry after a runner ended up with a concussion during a high wind race. I had never really thought of the risk before. I am also very very afraid of big foot and alien abduction when I run alone in the woods at night. Warden...you spend lots of time in remote places...any bigfoot sightings? Aliens of the extraterrestrial types?

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Ultra Cowboy

QOTD.  I read something about the mindset when it comes to worries...

If something has less than 2% odds of happening....Don't worry about it.  So Snakebite, Serial Killers, alien abduction, bear attacks, Sexual Predators (remember this is ME we are talking about) I have a plan if it happens but i don't worry about it.

I've been in life threatening pickles before (usually with horses in remote locales) and come out of it reasonably ok.   I have faith in my ability to deal with adverse situations and I've been on the rescuer side a lot more than been rescued.

Last night ran 3.0 at the new Pub run location....Spent about 30 buck on beer and appetizers...

WYBMADIITY

Save

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Intervals in a little while if the wind isn't too bad.

qotd:  I've been ignoring the trails for months since all the races I've planned so far this year are on tracks or flat groomed trails.  I need to get back to some good trail running and hills if I'm going to be ready for the TT outing in August.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

AT-runner

Tim

Did an early TM run today since it was gusty winds with 50 mph max, and I had a funeral for a friends mother to go to. The wake was at an Irish pub, and they forgot to tell people it was a cash bar. I know the owner really well, so I offered to pick up the bar tab.  She's a great person, and she felt bad that they didn't let people know early enough that  it was a cash bar, so she discounted the bill quite a bit. My Granddad (from Kilarney) always said family shouldn't pay for drinks at a wake, so who's to argue with an Irish Granddad.  My friend offered to take DW and I out for dinner next week, so it's win-win on the pay-it-forward front since it wasn't a huge bill.

DC - I used to be good about letting DW know where I was with an approximate area, and then slacked off. Now after reading that article the other day, I promised her I'd be better.

Moon - I was wondering about your weights. Slow and steady.

Rocky - 3 miles run = ~ 400 calories burned. Beer and appetizers = ?.  I always gain weight on on Pub runs, how do you do?

George - No trails!!! Oh, don't, worry, you're still welcome here. Sounds like your training is going well.

QOTD:  See above. Wind keeps me off the trails. I thought maybe an exaggeration until someone died a few years ago on the AT when they were hit by a falling tree.  I've heard branches fall and have had some land nearer to me that I like, so it's a real concern now.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

XtremeTaper

Gym stuff today at lunch. Hohum. The freight train winds are still blowing so I think at most it will be 2-3 miles with the dogs through the neighborhood roads. Typically after my return from FL I go on strike with running in cold gusty winds but will get a few miles at least.

QOTD: Yes, typically stay out of the woods on days like today. 20mph+ steady wind with higher gusts after a day of rain. Creaking trees make me nervous and there is almost always something new blown down after days like this.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Trying to run intervals in the wind today was crazy. National weather service said there were gusts up to 45 mph and they almost stood me up in my tracks running into them, then when at my back almost pushed me on my face.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LB2

I didn't run Thursday, but I did end up walking about 2.5 miles.

QOTD: Lightning is my only real concern. However, I was in a race one time and the wind was so bad along the ridges that night that I was really concerned about falling limbs or trees.

LB2

Sandy-2

I couldn't get to this site yesterday, plus I was a bit busy.  I did 7 mi on Wed night and then 4 on Thus morning (it was a chilly 32 deg, really nice).

Today (Fri) is a rest day.

qotd: no worries here, although when I'm traversing an exposed area or going along a section with a huge drop, it does tend to get my attention. Oh yeah, early morning runs in bear/cat country also tend to wake me up. But both these things are in places that I have to fly to get to, so they don't happen that often. Although some people say I should be worried about the feral hogs down here in TX, but I don't because they usually run away.

tbd.

Ultra Cowboy

QOTD: Yes, typically stay out of the woods on days like today. 20mph+ steady wind with higher gusts after a day of rain. Creaking trees make me nervous and there is almost always something new blown down after days like this.

Cue up the Johnny Cash Song "Lumberjack"

...Learned from a logger named Ray

You don't cut timber on a windy day ... 

Rocky - 3 miles run = ~ 400 calories burned. Beer and appetizers = ?.  I always gain weight on on Pub runs, how do you do?

Oh I'm sure I don't have a caloric deficit from it.  A beer is 200 calories. and most of the time I'll have one and split.  But you have to look at it in the whole picture too.  I've got about 2390 calories to work with in a day before physical activity.  Now that I've said that I have gained weight in this training cycle and my short runs have gotten slower.  So don't think I am doing what a serious trail racer would do.

WYBMADIITY

Save

Negative degrees this morning. Drove to gym. Good 8 mile progressive run on indoor track.

qotd: I don't worry much about falling trees when in MN. I worry more about hunting season and predators. I don't feel 'safe' running anywhere here in northern MN. Maybe because I'm not from here and I don't belong here. But when in northern AZ, I'm usually alone on the mountain trails and I do worry about trees so I don't run during windy days. Funny how I don't really think about snakes, mountain lions, bears, etc. I carry pepper spray, knife, mini flashlight, whistle when I'm on the trail......yes, I always let someone know where I'm running.