Trailer Trash

Thor's Day Thursday (Read 38 times)

sugnim

I was able to sneak out for a 6.5 mile run on Cooked Trail and Crazy Canyon yesterday afternoon while my SO & 1.5 week old son napped. And as I ran, I noticed that things on the familiar trails seemed somehow different. It wasn't just the season-change, the tall grass turning to straw, the shimmering cottonwood trees like flecks of gold against the hillside, or even the brilliant larches changing the looming mountains from deep green to glowing amber as autumn settles in. The difference was miles back, past the trail head, back through our town, and swaddled at home in a soft cotton blanket. Having a child has quite literally changed everything, as if at the moment of his birth, some part of my brain which had always lied dormant was awakened for the first time, giving me access to new emotions and thoughts which before were inaccessible, inconceivable. Becoming a parent is like being let in on some secret knowledge and special aspect of the universe that is shared only among those who are fortunate enough to call themselves parents. Now everything is different. And I love that.

QOTD:  Any plans to hit public, federal lands now that they are re-opened?

Not yet for me.  But I will be taking my son to Glacier Park next summer for sure.

Occasional Runner

I just got back from a very leisurely trail run in the mountains behind the house. A lot of hiking and picture taking with some running mixed in.

We're loading up to head south for the Pony Express 100. I think this is going to be a really good race for me if I play things right. I'm going head to head with a lot of local talent and we're all pretty evenly matched. It's going to be a very interesting race.

QOTD: Nothing planned for the immediate future but I'll be in Moab in a few weeks.

runtraildc

Morning!

got in my planned run last night and will get in 5 or 6 tonight with the running group.  The world here in DC is sunnier today (literally and figuratively).  All those folks you asked to leave your town, region or state to come here finally got enough of their act together.  Ok, enough politics and back to the topic at hand.

sugnim- glad to hear parenthood is settling in nicely!  congrats

Lace-good luck this weekend!

qotd:  plan to get to Rock Creek (NPS) in the next few days for a run.  I feel lucky to live minutes from a number of public lands and parks.    It was also good to see photos of rangers removing signs at our local monuments.

XtremeTaper

Had a decent but short run on the trails of Monocacy Hill last night with the gsp while the wife walked the springer. Just 5 miles. Sometimes I feel sad for my old springer. He used to be my trail bud but he's shifted to walking in his older age. Towards the end of my run he must have sensed me coming as I could hear his barks through the forest. My wife was just finishing up coming from another direction. So I ran down to him, and had him run in with me to the trailhead. He seemed to like that.

QOTD: No real plans. The places I normally run have all be open as they are state, county, or township lands.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Finally back at work today. Relieved to be on a schedule again, but not psyched to catch up on everything. I was quite spoiled by 10 AM wakeups everyday too :/

Managed to get in 2 runs and light yoga yesterday! Not gonna happen now that I'm working again. However, still plan to get in an easy 6 or 7 tonight.

QOTD:  Currently occupying a federal office.....but no big plans to head out to any national parks soon. Although, I suppose it will be nice to see the Philly landmarks open for business again.

runfastandie

A nice 7 miles at sunrise.   No wild turkeys today though, maybe the lions have been extra hungry!

QOTD: our cabin is at the south entrance of yosemite so I'm just thankful the town will be back in business.  It is a major tour bus stop as well as the thousands of people going through daily.

Wandering Wally

8 gloomy misty miles last night.  Late fall is upon us.

QOTD - No immediate plans as deer season is going on and lots of hunting happens in the national forest.  Fortunately, most of the places I run are State or local lands.  I don't recall any hunters saying they were barred from the national forest the last couple of weeks, so I'm not sure what happened there.  They probably just went and didn't say anything.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

Five trail miles for the pooch and me this gray morning.

QOTD:  I might go down to Shenandoah National Park some time soon to get in some fly fishing, hiking, and trail running.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

Watoni

Hopefully cycling this afternoon, and then either a midnight or 3-4 am long run

QOTD: Probably just Golden Gate National Recreation Area trails, which for the most part were unaffected by the shutdown

NorthernHarrier

Killing time, getting paid to sit in a McDonald's waiting. I used to say that you couldn't pay me to go to a McD's, LOL.

Did a nice 7 miler this morning on the roads in the rain. Felt good to stretch the legs after a couple 12 hour days. Have not had anytime to read thru the posts' of the last couple days, maybe tonight.

After working this gig for 10 weeks now I thought I would ask for a week off and low and behold I got it. Smile So next week I'll be up at my cabin with Cloe, the extraordinary springer chasing grouse and doing my end of the season chores like taking out piers, putting boats away, and the like. I've taken this week off for probably 20 years but I never had to ask before. Funny. So anyway it is about my favorite vacation I can take so I'm geeked. Don't worry Mandy as I'll be back for our race and my tapering will consist of only two beers the night before.Wink

QOTD--Has no bearing on me. I was up at Pictured Rocks last weekend and was able to get into the areas I wanted. There were a couple barricades up and some cones but everyone was just going around them. Saw one ranger type dude and he was ignoring all the activity.

Michael--What kind of deer hunting is going on?  I thought Michigan's gun deer season opened on Nov. 15th every year. Just bowhunting?

Were the National forest closed too and how in the world could you possibly control access to those? I had no idea.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

It's Thursday...Ladies night.  Meeting the girls after work for 7 miles.  Whateever happen to meeting for drinks after work!

Sugnim:  Very cool...

QOTD: No I have two nephews bumming around here somewhere and I am waiting for them to show up at my door.  I was thinking if they came this weekend I would take them up to Desolation Wilderness (Federal?)  But now I may be going to Blues Traveler's on Saturday.

Kelly:  I think you are EXTREMELY pleased with your decision to move to Utah. Good luck this weekend...does it begin Friday morning?

Xtreme: Cry it's hard when they get older.  I felt so guilty runninng with Earl while leaving my old girl Shasta at home.  That's why I usually walked her before running.

Northern: Was chatting with Mandy and Deana on another forum and we were talking Porcupine Marathon 10/14.  I coming this year!!

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

AT-runner

Tim

Late to the game today, but had a nice 90 minute run with DW on some trails that are popping with color right now.  I got off trail a few times because leaf cover was masking where the real trails were.  At one point I heard DW yell "where are you" as she ran off trail and was temporarily misdirected (we never say lost).

Sugnim - Very cool.  Kids do change your perspective, and I'm very happy for you and your wife.  I think we need a picture!

QOTD:  Gettysburg Battlefield run tomorrow with a friend at lunch.  Usually a SRD, but he wants to run some of the horse trails that were closed and there are never many horsey people using the trails during the week.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Short, easy recovery run with strides.

QOTD: Plan a Saturday morning run at Valley Forge NP.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Occasional Runner

Kelly:  I think you are EXTREMELY pleased with your decision to move to Utah. Good luck this weekend...does it begin Friday morning?

I'm quite pleased! The race starts Friday morning. They start us in waves, each separated by an hour. I go out in the last wave with the "fast" guys at 8:00 AM. It's going to be a battle.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

got 3.5 miles of hill training in, we got a couple inches of snow which was quite nice to run on Smile

qotd: evidently Forest Service and BLM lands weren't "closed"- unlike a National Park there are simply too many ways to access the numerous land masses; glad this ordeal is over (for now anyways)- my job was secure (law enforcement was deemed essential), but working w/o pay for a lengthy time wasn't appealing at all

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √