Trailer Trash

Footwear for hiking (Read 13 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I stopped at REI yesterday and on the spur of the moment decided to check out footwear for my hiking vacations.  I've been wearing old road running shoes, but they aren't really adequate on some of the tougher and more demanding trails.  I was a little surprised that the employee in the shoe department suggested trail running shoes instead of hiking shoes or boots.  While there's a certain appeal to that option, since I could also use them for the one or two trail races I run each year, I'm wondering if regular hiking shoes would still be the better choice.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I am of the opinion that trail running shoes will be better than traditional hiking boots 99% of the time.  Unless you're doing sloppy, wet, cold, shoulder season stuff, please don't buy waterproof shoes.  Trail runners are also significantly lighter than hiking boots, which will help with fatigue.  Buying big hiking boots "for your ankles" will only make your ankles weaker over time.

For what it's worth, I have worn trail runners on every adventure I've ever been on - from backpacking to the Grand Canyon to climbing mountains to running ultras and everything else.

Running is dumb.

XtremeTaper

My Iceland trip last year was pretty much all hiking (60-70k). I used trail running shoes the whole trip. Had 2 pairs with me so I could alternate and have a dry pair. The trails were moderately rugged, sometimes easy, but I've also used them climbing up South Sister in Bend and the last section of that 5,000 foot climb was a steep slope of lava scree. Never noticed any issues. I sort of chuckle internally when I see hikers around here with what appear to be heavy looking hiking boots just to tromp around some muddy lakeside trails.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I fully agree with the others; even on the Bob Marshall Open I’m wearing (as is almost everyone else) trail runners. They are on the beefier end of trail runners though (La Sportiva Akasha).

I have a couple of pairs of hiking boots, but those are reserved for hunting season where I’m off trail, doing a lot of sidehilling and the potential for coming out with a 80-90 lb load.

2024 goal 2024 miles

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

La Sportiva Akasha

I really, really, really wish those shoes fit me.  I tried them on and they were amazing.  They would be so good for scrambling.  Alas, my feet are too fat and I need something wider. 

Running is dumb.

AT-runner

Tim

George, the only time I see usually see hiking shoes or boots on the AT is on day hikers.  Seems like all the thru hikers are wearing trail running shoes.

I like to wear Inov8's for any hiking as they have a rock plate on the bottom to help with stepping on those PA rocks.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I really, really, really wish those shoes fit me.  I tried them on and they were amazing.  They would be so good for scrambling.  Alas, my feet are too fat and I need something wider. 

that’s their widest shoe too, I’ve tried a half dozen La Sportiva’s and they were all to tight in the toe box, the Akasha’s are the only ones that are cut wider there, still snug enough in the mid foot and heel not to slip

have you tried a pair with one of the lower volume Superfeet insoles?  might give you enough room?

2024 goal 2024 miles

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

That's all great info.  I'll check at my LRS to see what they have.  They've been fitting me with running shoes for upwards of 15 years so they know my preferences and what will likely fit.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Prince of Fatness

I’ll add another vote for trail runners. Mine are Saucony Koas. They did just fine on a couple of rocky AT hikes (PA and NJ).

Not at it at all.