Trailer Trash

shoe for rugged rocky/talus/scree course??? (Read 64 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I have three races this summer/fall that will all include a lot of very rocky/talus sections- last year I ran one of them with my Montrail Sabino Trails and felt they had enough protection, but while wide enough in the toe box, they were a little loose in the heel and midfoot.  I'm currently running in Brooks PureGrits which are a great shoe, but will be a little on the light side for these environs.

Shoe has to have a roomy toe box (long-ish toes) and have enough protection for multiple miles of rock

Cascadia? is the fit the same as the PureGrits?  Inov-8 255- fit???  Saucony Exos-fit???  others???

Danke

2024 goal 2024 miles

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

jmctav23

2/3rds training

saucony exodus comes to mind for the beefy protection (full length rock plate) and cushioning.  I've only tried it on in a store but it seems substantial.

Kalsarikännit

I've always been a big fan of LaSportiva's. They are protective on the bottom and the super sticky outsole they use (which is the same for their climbing shoes) is great on rock. The Raptors and Wildcats are a bit beefier, while the C-Lite's and C-Lite 2.0's (what I use) feel nimble and durable. Also, I like the roominess of the toebox.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Daydreamer1

I've been over some very rocky terrain in my Cascadia's and they do an adequate job for me in regards to rock protection. I have no Idea how the fit would compare to any of the others.

My Hoka Mafate's actually absorb the hits on the rocks a little better then the Cascadia's but the sole doesn't seem quite as durable on sharp stuff. My Hokas run big especially in the toe box so they would probably fit that criteria.

I ran a 25k in a pair of NB 1210's recently. There was quite a few rocks but not a lot of sharp stuff. They held up well and they are designed with a wider toe box to accompany the swelling of a ultra runner. NB designed them to stand up to courses such as Leadville.

under a rock

I've always been a big fan of LaSportiva's. They are protective on the bottom and the super sticky outsole they use (which is the same for their climbing shoes) is great on rock. The Raptors and Wildcats are a bit beefier, while the C-Lite's and C-Lite 2.0's (what I use) feel nimble and durable. Also, I like the roominess of the toebox.

Another fan of the cross-lites! I feel there is never a break in period and the heel is nice and snug with plenty of room in the toe box. I've used them on very rocky terrain, large scree, small scree, and sandbox like conditions and they do great. I move away from them every now and then to try something new on the market but I always come back home to my cross-lites.

Occasional Runner

I ran a 25k in a pair of NB 1210's recently. There was quite a few rocks but not a lot of sharp stuff. They held up well and they are designed with a wider toe box to accompany the swelling of a ultra runner. NB designed them to stand up to courses such as Leadville.

I was going to suggest the NB 1210's too. I think they have you covered in that type of environment.

AT-runner

Tim

I have some good experience with boulder and rocky trails (run in PA and MD) and my go-to-shoes are Mizuno Wave Ascend.  Not the lightest shoe, but good rock guard and nice tread and cushion and have an ample toe box.  If it's not too technical, I go to my Hoka Stinson Evo's but they may have smaller toe box than you want.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Occasional Runner

I have some good experience with boulder and rocky trails (run in PA and MD) and my go-to-shoes are Mizuno Wave Ascend.  Not the lightest shoe, but good rock guard and nice tread and cushion and have an ample toe box.  If it's not too technical, I go to my Hoka Stinson Evo's but they may have smaller toe box than you want.

I wore that shoe (ascend) for a while and kept getting terrible blisters on my toes and heels. I had to give them up, obviously.

valerienv

Thread killer ..

I run on that type of stuff and I'm currently wearing the Saucony Xodus , roomy in the toes . I just got some Altra Lone Peaks and so far I like them,  I haven't taken them on really rocky stuff yet as they have 0 drop and I have to adjust a bit to that . They are the very roomest shoe I have worn other than flip flops .

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Thanks for all the great suggestions!  I like the idea of the Exodus as it's a 4mm drop- same as the PureGrits, my wife runs in these and she likes them and they look pretty beefy- I had no clue on the fit, sounds like the toe box is pretty roomy, so that's good Smile

the La Sportiva's, the 1210's and Wave's look pretty beefy as well, appears they are a 8mm drop, 9mm and 11mm drop respectively- I don't mind a higher drop as my Montrails were 10mm, but am enjoying the lower drop of the PureGrits

I'm heading to the "big" city (MIssoula Big grin) this week, hopefully they'll have a few of these shoes to try on, if not I'll go w/ one of the online outfits that let you return shoes w/o conditions

2024 goal 2024 miles

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

In case you are still looking, the Cascadias are wider than the Pure Grits, and they run a bit on the large side (at least the women's shoe in the larger sizes). The overall fit/shape of the shoe seems to be similar, though. Maybe sizing up or down half a size will help with that.

And the Cascadia 7's are a bit soft, softer than the 6's, and feel similar to a road shoe in terms of cushioning, but they are great on rugged rocks.

Run for fun.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

if the fit is similar to the Puregrits- that would be outstanding Smile  I'll definitely try to find a pair

2024 goal 2024 miles

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

NorthernHarrier

My favorites for anything technical that I can run in all day including thru streams with quick draining--the Raptors, Awesome shoe.

I did just put a pair of Saucony Xodus(sp) into service. I think they could be a winner also but I just have not really put them thru any real technical stuff yet. I am optimistic though.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

My favorites for anything technical that I can run in all day including thru streams with quick draining--the Raptors, Awesome shoe.

I did just put a pair of Saucony Xodus(sp) into service. I think they could be a winner also but I just have not really put them thru any real technical stuff yet. I am optimistic though.

curious- are you able to notice the difference in drop between the two?  I noticed the 4mm drop (puregrit) vs the 10mm (montrail), the lower drop seems to add a little agility on technical stuff

2024 goal 2024 miles

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

NorthernHarrier

curious- are you able to notice the difference in drop between the two?  I noticed the 4mm drop (puregrit) vs the 10mm (montrail), the lower drop seems to add a little agility on technical stuff

In my limited time in them I was focusing on that very thing and I did notice it but maybe only because I was trying to. It didn't really amount to much but I still thought I would take it easy my first few times in them to acclimate so to speak. Tuesday I'll try them out on our Blue Mounds course and should have a lot better feel for them. I'll post again after that run.

They do have a nice roomy toe box that you'd like.