Trailer Trash

weekender (Read 16 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Greetings.  Got back from my elk hunt yesterday, two days and 20-ish very steep and tough miles later.  There is a severe lack of any running water in the drainage I was hunting, but I spied a small group of spring fed ponds so thought I might have hit pay dirt.  Spent the evening glassing from above (and camped there) and again at first light, but didn't find anything moving.  Oh well, had a fun outing nonetheless Smile

Legs were sore this morning, so got Tiny E out for a recovery hike (4 miles) and legs feel better- amazing how that works!

qotw: streaming stuff?  finished Vikings (but there are still several episodes of season 6 to go at some point), finished season 1 of Taboo (Hulu) w/ Tom Hardy- dark, but well acted and an interesting time (1814), definitely a season two coming at some point.  Found out Netflix has halted MindHunters- I think the director moved onto another project- too bad that was a dandy series.  Just started Hand Maidens, not sure at this juncture of what I think.  Did see a good movie though (Prime) Logan Lucky- kind of dark comedy about a heist at a racetrack in West Virginia- worth seeing if you haven't

These are the small spring fed ponds (also where I camped)- center of pic

bare bones camp

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

That's quite an operation, warden.  Sounds like a good adventure even if you returned empty-handed.

Elk: 1

Warden: 0

I did 11.4 miles at faster-than-easy pace.  Sort of tapering this week for a 50k in Oregon next weekend, although I can't say that I've done enough to need much of a taper.  

QOTD: We just got an Amazon Firestick so I guess I could start streaming stuff, but I haven't yet.  So far, I've been enjoying all the different sports channels.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

That's quite an operation, warden.  Sounds like a good adventure even if you returned empty-handed.

Elk: 1

Warden: 0

Too bad.  I had elk stew last year when I went out to Custer for Lean Horse.  Very tasty.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Hey WC, happy birthday!

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Ran 22 this morning on an overcast day. This weekend should have been my first hundred at OC100. It was cancelled of course so my attempt is pushed back another year. All is good though.

Happy bday George!

QOTD: DW and I are watching Blindspot on Hulu. We have way too many streaming services so trying to cut back. Netflix is the odd man out so it's gone.

Have a great weekend!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Sandy-2

Happy birthday George!!!

mt - looks like a nice spot, but I guess not so for the elk. 

Got a text from LB2 earlier, they made out ok with the storm but lots of rain and blowdowns. He said it was a rough ride.  He also doesn’t have power. They have a generator though.

I did a rare weekend sleep in. Felt great.  Then got up and did 15 mi at mid-day.  It was warm and I was low on energy.  I think I should have eaten something a little before I set off.

I did see a cool sight of about 40 pelicans circling over the lake, they have white backs and black underwings so the change color while circling.  Looked majestic.

qotd: we’ve been watching “Criminal” on Netflix. It’s different, only covers the police interview process. It’s slow but kinda cool at the same time.

tbd.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Thanks for the BD wishes.  Had a nice day, tilapia stuffed with lobster for dinner followed by a piece of cherry crostata and coffee for dessert.  Then a long chat with my DD on the phone.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LB2

Yikes!! That was a little more than I bargained for to be honest. I took a URD today, maybe another one tomorrow. Actually, I did hike about a mile and a half, so I may count that. The wind was hammering us here last night. I lost a few shingles from the ridge on the roof; I'll fix those next week, not a big deal. My father in law bought a new generator awhile back that runs their whole place, and he gave me two old ones he had. I think I will invest in a big one before next hurricane season. This is ridiculous.  We have lines and trees down all over the place. I've seen it a lot worse, but I haven't seen it worse in a long time.

Warden: I have never elk hunted, but I would be doing the exact same thing under the circumstances based on my understanding of ungulates.

QOTD: I am not currently streaming anything, but I plan to start looking for something as soon as I have full power. For now, we are keeping the beer cold (I think there is some more stuff in there, too) and what is left of the deer meat frozen.

LB2

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

George happy belated birthday!  Always sucks turning 50 

A nice (but crisp-mid 40's) 5 miles with Tiny Elvis this afternoon

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √