Trailer Trash

Green Monster 50k (Race Report) (Read 47 times)

Brian Runner

http://www.briankunkle.com/2013/10/2013-green-monster-trail-challenge-50k.html

Full blow-by-blow account at the link. What an awesome, insane, painfu,l beautiful day on some Pennsylvania trails. Put this race on your calendar next year for sure.

LB2

Nice report. It is an interesting perspective that you mention when you write about running too slowly as being part of your ankle problem. The closest thing I have to medical credentials is that I played a role as a cowboy opposite another actor who played the part of a doctor in a stage play in college (And that is not to suggest I have any acting credentials, either). However, lack of credentials has never stopped me from having theories and sometimes acting on them. I, too, think that sometimes running too slowly can put a great deal more pounding on the joints and ligaments than fast running. I think there has to be a balance, and of course, speed is a relative thing.

LB2

RabbitChaser

Congratulations on finishing your first 50K! It sounds like it was a challenging, but fun race. Thanks for sharing the RR and pics, it's always great reading about different races and experiences.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Congratulations, you beat the Monster! Fine race, way to tough it out, especially on low calories.

The leg cramps around mile 13 may be due to fatigue, and my experience is that the Endurolytes, with their high vitamin B content (not so much sodium after all, or potassium), help well, but it takes 1-2 hours for full effect.

Run for fun.

Daydreamer1

Thanks for the report. I was looking forward to this. It looks like your time was very respectable considering the course. One of these years I'll get up there to do it.

How did you make out with your ankle? I'm assuming that you didn't wear a brace of any kind.

Brian Runner

Thanks everybody.

No brace, but the ankle decided to play nice and was never a problem.

Been out of town for a few days, but I do have some revisions, images and additional thoughts that I plan to add to the report tonight or tomorrow.

muppy

Nice job Brian, sounds like it was a tough race, congrats!

Brian Runner

Thanks.

runfastandie

That is a CRAZY elevation chart! Wow! Great work.

Brian Runner

Thanks.

Yeah, its pretty nuts though not altogether atypical as far as that part of Pennsylvania goes. Pretty much all up and down.

jmctav23

2/3rds training

good work on a tough debut 50k.  I'll keep this race in mind if I ever want to travel back to PA to do a race.

Brian Runner

Thanks.

If you get the chance to run this event you won’t be disappointed.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Nice Job Brian thanks for sharing...running slower is harder I think my legs get more tired by not doing a natural stride.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Brian Runner

Thanks.

Yeah, I agree with you there. I've done a few 10 mile group runs where I came home feeling worse than 20 solo. That said, I still enjoy running with people of all ability levels and will continue to do so regardless of pace.

Brian Runner

Pretty sure this is what happened when they planned the route.....