Trailer Trash

Good Vibes Saturdaily (Read 32 times)

moonlightrunner

Good vibes to all racers out there!

I am not sure what is in store running-wise today. Right now I am on Gramma Call...helping DD with her newborn and one year old. If I can get out there I hope to to 7 at the State Park.

qotd:  For your long runs of over 4 hours, what foods do u take with you in your pack?

I am planning a long run of 18 miles (thee will be hiking involved...I cannot  run 18 yet). It will be my first and will be over rougher terrain than I am used to...so I have no answer. Planning on some rice balls (recipe from Feed Zone Portables) but plan to take other things to try.

qotd2: Those of u who run with dogs....do u take fuel for your dog on long runs?

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Occasional Runner

Heading out to get this done!

QOTD1: I'm carrying 6 Hammer Nutrition peanut butter gels, 3 Snickers bars and a tube of Hammer Endurolyte Fizz Tabs.

QOTD2: Not applicable.

Birdwell

Morning folks!

Getting ready for a little trespassing on "public lands" this morning. (maybe)

due to the government shut down, our backcountry plans were change a bit, so I've got to find an alternate hiking route.

Better pics and explanation later on if it all goes well (Or at least an update fom jail if I get arrested Wink

Moonlight: an 18 miler? You're doing awesome!

QOTD 1: I like Clif bars, or any kind of granola bar, gels, PB&J sandwiches. Really anything I see around the house that looks appealing.

Sandy-2

Did a 20 miler this morning.  It was a good run under brutal conditions.  At 5am it was 79 deg and 100% humidity.  Good news was it started to rain after a while, bad news it stopped and then the sun came out and the whole thing turned into a steam bath.  We're supposed to get the first cool front of the year this evening, but I couldn't put the longer run off 'til tomorrow because I'm traveling again.  Looking forward to some cool morning temps in NYC next week though.

qotd: I'd take about 4 or 5 gels tucked into two handheld bottle holders. Bottles would be filled with watered-down electrolyte drink, ideally there would be a way to refill the bottles with water at some point.

tbd.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Ok I admit I have been a total slug this week.  One run so I am going to bag the week and do nothing today.  Next week I do better.  1/2 trail race tomorrow.

QOTD:  I'll bring a half PBJ or turkey sandwich and a couple of gus.  On my 32 this past weekend I had the Hammer Fizz caplets and enjoyed them more by biting a bit off and then downing some water.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Chnaiur

Doing weights today. Letting the foot rest, and going pack to the podiatrist on Monday to learn how to tape it. I think I'll do a separate write-up of the visits since I'm learning a bunch of useful things.

QOTD: my most recent long run was a bit over 7 hours. A nutrition pattern that worked great for me was this:

Every hour: Clif Builder's Bar (20g protein), sometimes substituted with Ham & Cheese Sandwich, a croissant or somesuch.

Every half hour in between: Hammer Gel

That added up to 430 kcal / hour for a 188lb person. (Also 0.15 g protein/kg/hr, which seems to be what my stomach can handle well).

EDIT: For four hours, I'd bring 1-2 protein bars and 4-5 gels.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

Watoni

Hoping to head out on a mellow run soon.

Hmmm. Over four hours. If it is 4-5 hours and I can refill water, I will start with some calories in a handheld (Tailwind or CarboPro + Enervit G). Then, just water and EFS gel in a softflask. Probably gives me 1000 kcal.

More than that, I bring a pack so I can re-up the liquid nutrition and have some flat coke, salt tablets and maybe Enervitene pouches as an alternative.

AT-runner

Tim

Hope all the racers and pacers are doing well.  It's unseasonably HOT in PA today, so I'm sure Oil Creek (today) and Blues Cruise (tomorrow) runners will have to adjust to the heat.

DW and I did 2 hours on the AT.  Luckily all the section near us cross State land and not Federal land, so they're open.

First day of deer bow hunting in PA, so we opted to stay out of the thick woods.

QOTD:  For 4 hours I'll take several gel blocks and a granola bar.  I'll drink watered down Tailwind or just water.  I aim for 300 cal / hr.

QOTD2 - N/A

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

jonferg67

Endless trails

QOTD:  I'll bring a half PBJ or turkey sandwich and a couple of gus.  On my 32 this past weekend I had the Hammer Fizz caplets and enjoyed them more by biting a bit off and then downing some water.

That's pretty hardcore, queen.

I had a crappy 12 miler this morning, I fell, feet were killing me, calf pain, and pace
                    was sluggish. The last half mile was nice though.

Looks like couch is off to a good start, I don't quite understand the numbers and

pace/segment breakdown on the OC100 site, but she's out there somewhere.

QOTD: I bring Hammer gels, Fizz and Perpetuem, Before that I used GU gels and

Clif bars. Haven't used real food in a while.

jbyram2

Eat to run, Run to eat

About 6 trail miles with HATR, got in some hill repeats.  Kept up with the group, which usually never happens.

QOTD:  Powerbar Gels (which are thinner consistency that GUs) every 45-60 minutes.  Maybe a cliff bar after 3-4 hous.

Queen:  Swallowing fizz tablets with water?  Sounds like an adolescent trick to create ear-splitting belches. Or projectile vomit.

Stone Mill 50m 11/16/13  12:42

Febapple Frozen 50k 2/22/14  9:20:55

DIrty German 50m 5/18/14 12:06:16

moonlightrunner

Birdwell: Running 18 would be way to much..as the longest I've done is ten. I hope to run 13 and hike the rest. Fortunately there is a choice of trails where one is 13 or u can take the longer one that is 18. It will likely depend on how beat up my feet get. It is not a trail friendly to my VFFs.

All these fueling suggestions are great. I do love Builders Bar and peanut butter and jelly.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Sandy-2

Looks like couch is off to a good start, I don't quite understand the numbers and

pace/segment breakdown on the OC100 site, but she's out there somewhere.

Agree the numbers are a bit screwy.  Looking at the guy in front, the way I read it is, Seg 1 (out) is 13.9 miles long, Seg 2 is 17.2 (back) for a total of 31.1 miles (that is one loop and there will be 3 of those loops plus a shorter loop at the end). For their first Seg 1 you have to deduct 5 hours because they started at 5am.  So the front guy did Seg 1 in 2:29:06 and Seg 2 in 2:59:43 totaling Loop 1 in 5:28:50.  Looking at past results the front guy typically runs at about 10:40 pace, so I guess that is about right.

Because of the messed up way they have added 5 hrs to Seg 1 and then the "total distance" seems to only be Seg 2....  as I said before the numbers look screwy.  You'd think that a timing company would be able to figure this sort of stuff out.  But I guess they will "fix" it up at the end.

Bottomline: yes you can see their progress and the general order of where they are.

Finally.....   GO FTYC !!!!!!!   Big grin

tbd.

XtremeTaper

Green Lane lake loopie  for me today. I guess 12 or 12.5 miles? My buddy Angus came up for the run and put up with my slowness. LadyB the gsp ran as well. Sort of warm for October, low to mid 80's, but not very humid. I did jump in the pool at the house afterwards and the water temp of 70 degrees felt pretty awesome.

You know, you hear these rants now and then about unleashed dogs and we had 4 or 5 encounters today and everyone is so pleasant. They stop, ask about your dog, pet them, smile, and just act human. These were people with dogs, without dogs, on horseback, even a mountain biker. I really don't get rants about unleashed dogs. Humans could take a tip from dogs if you ask me.

QOTD1: For 4 hours, just a couple of handhelds with fluid and a few gu's. Blech to Hammer gels. Salted Caramel gu is the best. Maybe some salt tabs if it's hot. For 5+, same as above but I'll plan my run to loop back to the car where I will usually have a pbj stashed, along with some fruit and yogurt or pudding. Usually save the yogurt for post run.

QOTD2: I limit my dogs to the most 2-3 hour runs. I took her on a 4-5 mile run once this year and she showed signs of it being too much. Maybe it was lack of fuel, but I think 2-3 hours is plenty of time for the dog to run.

Oops... forgot to add. GO GO Couch. Evening is coming and night with cooler temps.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

AT-runner

Tim

Agree the numbers are a bit screwy. 

Finally.....   GO FTYC !!!!!!!   Big grin

+1 - Very screwy way to post numbers.  Looks like with 5:00 start correction , Couch ran the first 50k in 7:07.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

valerienv

Thread killer ..

Hoping to get out and do 6-7 this afternoon

QOTD 1: Tailwind  & some VFuel

QOTD 2 : I don't offer him anything while running , although I don't know for sure I don't think they run well with a full belly,  maybe some dog racing lore . I often carry a pancake in the car for after for him or if we run from home I offer regular dog food when we get back.