I hiked the race, I had my fun

And although i was late

I think that i won.

There were hills so high

With hard rocks all about,

I feared at times I might surely die..

The mud was so deep

It first sucked my soul

Then pulled at my feet as if it would keep.

But the company was fine

Full of laughs and good times

They inspired me greatly to tow that tough line.

The croak of the frogs turned to birds with bright song

When the dark of the night became a gentle soft dawn.

My weariness lifted, though the way to be finished was still very long.

Kettle Moraine 100 FUN RUN (38 Miles), June 1, 2019

Report to follow.

Qotd: pass.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

LB2

Congratulations Moonlight. I think that would be a wonderful course from what I have heard about it.

I ran a short loop this morning. It felt slow, but was one the higher end of my easy pace. Maybe I am improving a little. This is day 8 of the new streak.

QOTD: Best piece of gear you have ever purchased, and why, in the categories below:

1. Running: Still the flip belt. It allows me to carry what I need on longer outings without having to worry about a running vest. Plus, I carry handhelds, so I don't really need the hydration bladder.

2. Non-running: My TruGlo red dot shotgun scope. It is super easy target acquisition, and it just gives me a great deal of confidence in my shooting in the woods. I didn't shoot a turkey with it this year, but I did aim at a few that I let go.

LB2

dhuffman63

Trails

Congratulation moonlight.  I love the poem.

DH and I went down to DD's on Sat.  Her HOA sent her a letter requiring the lawn to be mowed and SIL was away so my DH mowed her front and back yard while DD and I went and I paid for the tornado shelter.  She needs to check with the county about building permits to have it installed in their garage.  Then we all went to the German place and had late lunch/early dinner.

Sunday I did my 15 mile long run and a bunch of my chores.  I finally got more than a few miles per week and ended up with 34.  Trying to get ready for Lhotse.  I did sign up for the UrbanICT July 26.  It's a multidistance run on an asphalt path in Wichita, KS.  Starts at 9pm on Friday.  I signed up for the 50k in order to get a long supported training run in at night to make sure I'm ok with it.

qotd:1. My Orange Mud vest.  It sits higher up so doesn't really affect my lower back.  It's pretty ventilated to and I can put ice in the pouch next to my back that doesn't have the bladder and ice in my bladder so really helps with heat.

2. My Sig P238, first gun I bought myself, fits my tiny hands and I can rack the slide easily.  It's a dream to shoot and I love to use it to shoot soup cans.

Congratulations Margaret.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I got in a long run yesterday.  5 miles.  About killed me as I ran in the middle of the afternoon in direct sun.  It wasn't a hot day but the sun seems to melt me.  But I got it done and feel good today.

moonlight - congrats.  Sounds like a blast.

QOTD: I am not much of a gear person so I can't really say I have a favorite.  I have contemplated investing in a Garmin but just haven't been able to pull the trigger on that yet.  Non-running gear - hmmmm...unsure if this counts but I got a nice ladder two Christmas' ago.  It's the little giant ladder.  I love it and it is so useful.

Have a great Monday!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Sandy-2

Nice moonlight, like we all said, you shouldn't do that race.....   looking forward to the RR. 

SRD today.

qotd: (1) My handhelds.  I have 4 old school UD handheld straps that I use on rotation all of the time.  I can use different bottles in them (i.e. plastic waterbottles from the hotels while overseas), but the straps are used a lot !!!!  The little pocket can hold lots of stuff.  Over time the strap-grip loosened up so I had a velcro sewn onto the strap and they work great.

(2) I guess my car.

tbd.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Yoga today.

qotd: Running shoes...had achilles tendonitis for about 3 years which was miraculously cured when I bought some Hokas.  I than moved to Salomon for over a year and just now started having a bit of foot pain   So got the Hokas again.

Non running: My Keurig—-perfect cup every time

Moonlight:  you just ran a hundy?  How’d I mis that.  Congratulations!

Jaime:  Another long run in the books!  I have a fairly simple Garmin 25 $120 new.  My friends have the fancy ones and were sprouting off all kinds of techy shit after our run; MVO, heartheart, max hr, and other stuff I don’t remember and didn’t really care about.

LB:  looky that looky that..... they call it the streak!

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

dhuffman63

Trails

Sue I have ther 235...it does stuff I don't really care about either...tracks bike and swim and I do neither but I do like the HR and RHR info. I had turned on the GPS when I did races and watched pace etc.  But I didn't for Possum, I just went with exertion, and there was a lot of that.  I was hitting 180 on the HR and that's when I knew I had to drop cause it just kept creeping higher.  With my thyroid issue it can easily hit 200 if I'm not careful and then I really have a problem.  Luckily I don't have any other heart problems but I don't want to be in the news for having died at a trail race...lol.  Of course I'd prefer to die doing something I enjoyed so there's that.

moonlightrunner

Ah...no...sorry...I edited. The Fun Run. I did decide that if I ever were to run a hundy... my first would NOT be Kettle. Damn gnarly out there. I would never make the cut offs. It would take me 3 days at least. Wisconsin is beautiful. I wish I had trails like that to train on every day.

Moonlight:  you just ran a hundy?  

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

XtremeTaper

Congrats moonlight on finishing the fun run. Happy you pulled it off. You seemed very conflicted and worried a few weeks ago. So yay for you!

The Lady and I ran about 7-8 yesterday down at Fair Hill trail in northern MD with a large group of traildawgs. Sunny and warm early on in the day but just a normal summer morning. Mostly shaded single track trail but a few sections of dirt/gravel roads. The Lady and I sucked on those parts. Kept falling behind. Followed that up with burgers and beer and some young hipster joint in Newark DE.

Gym stuff today at lunch, then a short run out at the lake this evening with the Lady.

QOTD:

Running: I have always been fairly minimalist with running gear. I can't think of anything there.

Non-running: We have a lot of perennial flower beds in the yard that need constant weeding so I will go with my hula hoe.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Ah...no...sorry...I edited. The Fun Run. I did decide that if I ever were to run a hundy... my first would NOT be Kettle. Damn gnarly out there. I would never make the cut offs. It would take me 3 days at least. Wisconsin is beautiful. I wish I had trails like that to train on every day.

Good to hear that you enjoyed Kettle and finished the fun run!  Those are some nice trails out that way for sure.  It's about an hour drive for me, so I don't get out there nearly as often as I should.  Sorry that I missed meeting you!  Maybe next year?

Running is dumb.

AT-runner

Tim

Short easy run at lunch time. No run yesterday, so adding a bit today.

Moon - congratulations on Fun Run.

Sandy - think we have 3 of those. I use them exclusively for timed events.

QOTD:  Running - my Books vest. It's probably from mid 90's and I have more miles in that than any other piece of equipment I own. Nylon front to block wind and rain and mesh back to breath, so never too hot.  Non running - my Honda Ridgeline. It's my trail vehicle, so could also be running related.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

moonlight congrats and nicely done with the poem Smile

its supposed to be in the low 80’s today, going to try and force myself out the day with Tiny E; it’s kind of funny but he suffers in the heat as bad as I do 

qotd: running- my windshirt(s)- used year round, pack up small, light and provide wind and precip protection

non running- could easily say the same about windshirts, but will say satellite tacket/communicator- first a SPOT which was nice, but now an inReach which is even nicer; the ability to community from the backcountry is a huge asset

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Daydreamer1

Good lord, I feel like crap for  some reason. Just in general, both mentally and physically. Took some vitamin I about 30 minutes ago and starting to feel better.  I think it's from my sleep being messed up and using too much caffeine .   Cold and windy here. Temp is about 62 with a stiff breeze.  Should be a little warmer so I could get my biking shoes to dry out. Have them laying out in the sun as they are still soaked from my last ride.

Probably will run for 4-7 miles. All depends on how I feel and what DW wants to do when she gets home.

Moon - Good job on not being smart enough to not run and not knowing when to quit .

Queen - You are sooooo unsophisticated. Keurigs are only for people who have no idea what good coffee is .  At least that's what the coffee snobs say.  It's amazing how much some people hate Keurig.  FWIW, DW loves hers.  I really have no opinion. She's the coffee addict, I'm clean .

QOTD:

Running:  A pair of warm up pants that I bought from Wal-Mart decades ago. I run in them every winter and they just keep going and going and going.  Kind of like my Cateye bike computer.

Non-running:  My Spenco insoles in my work shoes/boots.  Another item that I've had for decades, litterally. I switch them between shoes all the time so they get a lot of use. The covering under the heel area is finally breaking down so I ordered a new pair because for some reason it bothers me in one pair of shoes but not the other pairs.  I list this as a non-running because I tend to use Superfeet insoles in my Hokas.

Worst gear:  My Kahr P380. It's small and light. Made of polymer and stainless so it won't rust. But the slide randomly locks back and it likes to jam for no reason. Going to have to send it back to the manufacturer.  Supposedly a lot of cops like them as their hide away gun. Not sure why as this one is very unreliable.

Starting to feel better so I'm going to sally forth with my trusty sword, aka Stihl FS 90 weedeater and do battle with the weeds.

NorthernHarrier

Back in Madison after a nutty stretch of travel, wind blown lakes, etc. Got in from Utah last night with a 3yr old Springer. Now have 3 Springers laying at my feet. All psychotic.  I did manage a 4 hr run in the mountains while out there with some intense vertical and snow at 8000'. Feels good to be home though. Managed to get 7 miles in on the roads this morning here at tempo pace. It's an unofficial day one of my training getting ready for my Telluride mountain run in August. Luckily when we take the dog back to my daughter in 5 weeks we'll stay out for a week and I'll be able to get some good mountain running in the Wasatch range.

Congrats to the peeps that did their events while I was gone. When I get some time I'll read some of the back threads.

QOTD--Off the top of my head without a lot of thought I would say the Gaia app on my phone might qualify for both. Came in handy while running in the Wasatch a couple days ago as I was able to do a new trail in and was able to link into some old trails I had run before thru the maze of trails that exist there and created a great loop. All that old data is saved so real easy to pull up the maps with the old runs highlighted. This cheap little app has rendered my $500 Garmin handheld obsolete.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

welcome back Smile

gaiagps rocks- the sole reason I got a smartphone!

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √