Trailer Trash

Lookout Mountain 50 Mile Trail Fiasco- RR and Blame Handed Around (Read 323 times)

Occasional Runner

Shit happens. That's my attitude at this point. Run enough races, and there's going to be the occasional mishap. 

What I fail to mention in the RR is that this actually a pretty cool race. The aid stations are a bit sparse (8ish miles apart) and they didn't offer much, but other than that, it was a really cool event. At least the first half was. I can't comment on the second half. You'll have to get those details elsewhere.

You can check it all out here...

http://www.slippingslowlyintopain.blogspot.com/2012/12/lookout-mountain-50-not-happy-camper.html

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Sorry to hear about your mishaps, Kelly, I am sure you still did a great race up to the point where you dropped out.

I know such pinching of a foot in between sharp rocks, this can be very painful. I have had that happen to me two or three times, and at least once, I thought my foot was broken. It wasn't, but it still took some weeks to heal up completely.

I hope that fall almost over the edge didn't traumatize you permanently, it sure it scary!!

Enjoy the holidays, recover well, and get ready for a great start into the new season!

Run for fun.

I'm so sorry to hear it wasn't your day.  I know you're disappointed you couldn't end 2012 on a high note, but you've had such an incredible year, this should in no way taint it (tee hee -- I said "taint").

BTW, I'll be seeing you at the American River 50!  (And by "see," I mean at the start of the race -- hopefully.  You'll be way ahead of me DURING the race Wink

I now understand the " bounce" seeing it was a bounce for lifeWink  Following you and Jo this past year has been fun - like I was at each race, nice to live life through others eyes and words  Have a Merry Christmas and a relaxed end of the year. 13 should be fun for all!

Uh oh... now what?

Oh.

I thought it was a DNS.

It is a DNF.

Now we have something in common, except at 50 miles my two DNFs

were at the 46-mile point.  You need to work on that part.

I am ahead of you (7 total)... 

There's always next year--think you can relax for 16 days?

Occasional Runner

Couch- I'll recover from my near death experience. I'm going to nurse myself back to health over the next few days and move on. I'm wiping the slate clean and excited about 2013.

EDRW- I am excited that you'll be at the AR50! That's so cool. I haven't seen you RR100. I hope you bring your boy toy with you. People don't use the word "TAINT" as often as I would like. I'm glad you were able to sneak it in. 

Runner61- Thanks for reading about all my misadventures. Sometimes, I would rather write about races than run them. But the two must go hand in hand I suppose.

John- I'll try to hold my DNF's to the last possible minute. I tend to drop mid race for some reason. I'm such a loser! 

Thanks to you all. I'm actually in great spirits about it all. But that might be the beer talking. We shall revisit in the AM.

Watoni

Lace,

Sorry you had a bad day out. Sometimes it is not just your day ...

Remember how much you generally ruled during 2012!

AR 50? I know folks that will be there but I will be at Lake Sonoma. Hey, I thought you preferred trail races Wink

Occasional Runner

AR 50? I know folks that will be there but I will be at Lake Sonoma. Hey, I thought you preferred trail races Wink

I do...there are some races you just have to do. Otherwise, you have no right to bitch about them later. I want that right.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

How did your wife do in the 10k

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

EDRW- I hope you bring your boy toy with you. 

Nope -- it'll be a girls' weekend!  But hopefully we'll cross paths some time during 2013.  And we've got to get you here to Washington state for a race one of these days <cough> White River <cough> Cascade Crest <cough>

Occasional Runner

Nope -- it'll be a girls' weekend!  But hopefully we'll cross paths some time during 2013.  And we've got to get you here to Washington state for a race one of these days <cough> White River <cough> Cascade Crest <cough>

I'm free the weekend of White River. I don't see a registration link on the website. What's up with that?

Great report on your mishap lace. You have a subtle way of making even the worse of situations sound funny in your writing. I could picture you falling as reading...all it takes is a split second taking your eyes off the trail. On to next season...it's been great reading your stories throughout the year. I can honestly say you've had a small part in my decisions to take on ultras. Hope I run into you at a race in 2013 (oil creek perhaps?)

RabbitChaser

Sorry the race didn't go as you had hoped. Recover well and 2013 will start off with a great race. Thanks for sharing the RR.

Maybe it WAS your day, lace_up. After all, you did NOT go crashing down the cliff to death or serious injury! Hope you recover quickly, and write many more awesome race reports.

jonferg67

Endless trails

Thanks for the report, Kelly. The look on your face in the final pic says it

all, probably could have finished but no need to run through the pain.

Good call, and good job to your crew for helping to make the right decision.