Trailer Trash

Elkhorn 55k race report (Read 22 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

This is a toughy, you can ask George (wcrunner) if you don’t believe me Smile. Nearly 8000’ of gain on almost all technical single track trails. There is little to no opportunity to zone out, if you do you’ll likely be on the ground, trickling blood.

But it is pretty!

My history with this course is not favorable. My first year running it, I got very ill (stomach) about 20 miles in- I was in far enough I had little choice but to finish. My second go was a couple of years later and likely the hottest temps ever for this event. No heat training and too fast a start gave me about a 25 mile training run for my effort.  They had also changed the course this year, adding a couple of miles and more gain, something they definitely didn’t need to do.

The last couple of years I’ve run the 15 mile course instead, top third finishes and near top age group with not a lot of suffering and relatively speedy recoveries.

Evidently I’m a slow learner   I signed up for the 55(53)k this year, the 15 mile had already filled and I got the very last spot in the 55k.  An omen???

I had no real expectations or goals for the race. Plan was straight forward, go out easy and finish the damn thing.  Oh and pray for cooler temps.

As luck would have it, the weekend called for cooler temps, sandwiched between very hot weather. It was 45 degrees at the start (7:00 AM)- perfect. There were roughly 80 folks starting. I moved towards the rear at the start, as it’s single track right out of the gate.

Within the first mile, folks were getting sorted pretty well. About two miles in is the first creek crossing. It’s easy to tell who has run the course previously and who hasn’t. Those who haven’t look and look for a place to cross, hop rocks, etc, those who have wade right through. There’s probably two dozen creek crossings and keeping your feet dry is an exercise in futility. It’s 4 miles to the first aid station and almost all runnable. Just kept a nice easy pace, took a quick drink at the aid station and started the first serious climb up Jackson Ck.

This climb was one of the recent changes. It’s a long, steady climb to the top; one of those ones you think might not ever end. No running on this stretch (for mere mortals anyways). I made a little headway on this stretch, passing a few folks. I need to experiment with this climb- trying trekking poles and comparing time/effort to without. I didn’t bring trekking poles.

After all the effort to get to the top quickly becomes a longish downhill into Casey Meadows, which quickly becomes another tough climb towards Casey Peak. This climb quickly becomes a long and very technical downhill to the next aid station at Teepee Ck, mile 12.

Things are going pretty well at this point. The 15 mile course makes a hard right at this junction with only three miles to go, we make a hard right with 21.5 miles to go. A couple of slices of watermelon and a couple of little potatoes with salt and I’m off. My water is holding out and won’t need to refill until the Elk Park aid station.

The next 4.5 miles are really tough- no running here, straight climbing. This is the stretch that kicked my ass both previous years. This is one of those stretches if you go all out, you might shave 15-20 minutes, but the wheels might be coming off as well.  I’ve had enough of the wheels coming off, so eased off a little. Didn’t pass anyone, but didn’t get passed either.

Made it to Elk Park in better condition than previous years, a few small potatoes, little watermelon and filled the bladder and was off. 5.5 miles to Tizer Basin aid station. The course runs through some really pretty meadows with some nice views. The trail is only marked by large posts every 100 yards or so, with no discernible trail. The footing is very tricky- the grass grows in clumps and it would be very easy to turn an ankle.  It’s downhill, but needs caution.

The course eventually meets up with the only road section, hardly a road, more like a wide trail. After a couple of miles it turns onto another single track and makes a steep (but thankfully short) climb to the aid station. More water and a few fig newtons and I’m off for the last big climb- Moose Creek.

This is another stretch of almost no running, just climbing. While the temperature was probably only in the low 70’s, you’re exposed and it felt hot.  This is another climb that just won’t end. I can start to feel the wheels starting to come off at this point. Evidenced by being passed by a half dozen folks on the slog up.

Finally back to the Elk Park aid station, not feeling chipper in the least. A few potatoes and a glass of Coke to help settle my stomach and I’m off with 27 miles under my belt and 6.5 to go. This is a repeat of earlier, but thankfully descending. Although it’s steep enough that it hurts, even going down.  I didn’t make good time in this stretch back to Teepee Ck, but at least I knew I was going to make it.

I shouted out my bib number and didn’t stop. 2.5 miles to go. Most times this would be runnable even though it mostly climbs, this wasn’t most times and I was forced to walk a lot of it.

Nine and a half hours later and I finally made it to the finish line. Third out of seven in my age group, about 2/3 back overall.

I’m seriously considering sticking with 15-20 mile races in the future- less wear and tear, less suffering and quicker recovery- we’ll see.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Well done Warden...ya finished!    and third...not so bad.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

AT-runner

Tim

Nice job, Mike. Sounds like a fun run. Never say never again, it usually doesn’t hold true. Just 2 years ago Sue and Jamie were saying they were done with long races. 

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

dhuffman63

Trails

Congratulations and that is one awful pretty picture.  What's the cutoff for that?

NorthernHarrier

I’m seriously considering sticking with 15-20 mile races in the future- less wear and tear, less suffering and quicker recovery- we’ll see.

UltraRunners have very short memories. Just sayin'.   Nice job. Colorado running will be all downhill.

I think I'll look at that (the 15 miler ) for next year though I better pay attention if it fills fast.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Congratulations and that is one awful pretty picture.  What's the cutoff for that?

It's 15 hours, start at 7:00 am and finish by 10:00 pm, but don't let that fool you. That's a lot of climbing and it's run at 5300 - 8000 ft elevation.

Elkhorn 50K

Take a good look at the course profile. That's almost 3000 ft of gain in the first 10 miles with two more major climbs. The course is beautiful, but if you decide to go I'd strongly recommend the 15M/23K option for you. I was in way over my head and unprepared for the combination of vertical gain plus altitude. Here's my race report from two years ago.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Sounds like my kind of race!

And yes I have said on a few occasions I am done with longer races.  But...

Re the trekking poles - IMO they won't make you faster in any single climb but may help the legs in longer runs.  But even that is debatable.  I like them in longer runs/races because they help my back a little.

Thanks for sharing.  Beautiful pictures.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Hooo boy.  You really get your money's worth with that race, eh?

You achieved your goal -- you finished the damn thing.  Nice job!

As for never again, well, I'm with NH on ultra runners having short memories.  I know that I do!    Besides, the harder the race, the better the stories, right?

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Bert-o

I lost my rama

As for never again, well, I'm with NH on ultra runners having short memories.  I know that I do!    Besides, the harder the race, the better the stories, right?

Yep, count me in on what Gatsby said.

Nice job!  Your experience and knowledge of yourself paid off in that you knew when to take it easy and what lies ahead.  Too funny about the creek crossings and who knew and who didn't.  If you do that section of climb again with trekking poles, I'd be interested in your feedback.  I haven't used them yet, but I feel I may need to at some point.  Beautiful course.... just missing the warden smile.   Congrats on 3rd!

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Thanks all!

I agree our memories tend to be on the short side for sure 

It definitely is a race I would recommend for someone looking for cool country and a challenge. They tout their 50 (53) mile as one of the toughest in the nation if you were to be looking for even more of a challenge

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Sandy-2

Looks and sounds like fun!!!  Big congratulations on getting it done.

I figure that you'll be signing up for the 50 mile next year.

tbd.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Looks and sounds like fun!!!  Big congratulations on getting it done.

I figure that you'll be signing up for the 50 mile next year.

Thanks- if I use AT’s flow chart, you’re probably right 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

XtremeTaper

Congratulations on the race. Must have been a tough run as we don't have the customary selfie, but I get it... in a race, who wants to stop for photos. Glad you had favorable weather and I'm with Sandy. You can step up the distance next year!  Big grin

In dog beers, I've only had one.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Thanks.  I'm going from I'm not running anymore 50k's to better give a 50 mile a go next year 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

(good job guys - keep pulling him to the dark side)

Thanks.  I'm going from I'm not running anymore 50k's to better give a 50 mile a go next year 

My favorite day of the week is RUNday