Trailer Trash

50 Miler Training (Read 220 times)

runner1304

Hi everyone. I've had this question for awhile and have meant to post it, but I just got around to it.

I'm toying with the idea of running my first 50 miler Fall 2013. I would just be trying to finish in the allotted time (12 hours). I've been looking at trailing schedules, UltraLadies and Relentless Forward Progress, and they both seem to have a 50k as the longest training run about 5 weeks before the race. I'm not sure about only going to 50k before tackling a 50 miler. It seems short to me. Ive done one 50k and it took me about 7 hours. I would think a 50 miler of similar terrain would take me about 11 hours. I feel like that 4 hour difference would make the end of the race very hard. But, maybe this is what higher weekly mileage helps with? I was thinking that trying for 40 miles/8 hours for the longest run might be good?

Some background on me for reference. I averaged 30mpw over the past year. Last year, I did 2 trail marathons, a 50k, and a road marathon. This year, I would plan to ease up to a 50 mpw base by June, then peak at 65-70mpw in August before a September 50 miler.

Any thoughts/comments/theories would really help.

Thank you,

Liz

03/23/13: Clinton Lake 10 miler

04/07/13: Chicago's Shamrock Shuffle 8k

05/11/13: DWD Gnaw Bone 50k

Occasional Runner

50k as a long run is plenty, but 5 weeks out may be a stretch. I would want it closer to 3 or 4, but you may not recover that quickly. 

Focus on getting your base above 40 mpw and higher if possible. I think 50 mpw is really ideal. Look around for a 50k race that you can run as a long supported training run before your 50 miler. Run the 50k slow and easy, focusing on training rather than racing. 

I've never followed the advice I'm giving you, but I can see how it might work.

Weegee

Nobody follows Lace_Up's example. They can't keep up with him.  His advice, however, is solid.

Totally sounds like you're right on track and I'd agree that you're likely to feel better about your 50-miler if you do sneak in a 40-miler sometime beforehand, and five weeks out.  Or actually, you'll feel really rough after finishing each, but the descent into the unknown on race day won't feel so rough.

If you suffer the extra mileage well and it doesn't hurt too much, go for it.

runner1304

Hi Lace_up. Thank you for responding. I've been following your blog and really respect your opinion. I'll see what 50k races are available to me in August.

Weegee, thanks for the response. I may join your and lace_up's advice. A 50k 3-5 weeks out from the 50 miler and a 40mile/8hour earlier in the year. I was planning on a Spring 50k and so a summer 40 miler might ease me up nicely and I would just the mental boost on race day knowing I've gone 40 before.

Thanks again.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

A name!  Hi, Liz!  Which 50 were you thinking about making your first?  Fall with a 12 hour time limit makes me think you're pondering Glacial Trail...

I never went above 50K before my first 50 miler and I was fine.  I did have plans to do a 35 mile training run, but an injury put the kibosh on that pretty quickly.  And what lace_up said about doing your last long run 3-4 weeks before the race.  (Due said injury, my longest was about 6 weeks pre-race and I still survived.  Not ideal training, but you make do.)

Running is dumb.

I too never went above 50K before my first 50-miler, BUT I had quite a bit of endurance built up.  My 50-miler was two weeks after I finished up a streak of 13 marathons/50Ks in 12 weeks.  I was also averaging 50-55 miles/week.  So if you can work in that 8-hour race, I'd highly recommend it!

runner1304

Hi Mandy!

I was originally thinking of Northface in Madison with Howl at the Moon 8 hour in Danville, IL for the last long run. But, I can't do Howl at the Moon anymore due to a friend's weddings. So, I just switched to looking at Glacial Trail 50 with Northface as a 50k 4 weeks before. But, I'm a little worried about the terrain. It may be rougher than I can train on and the 12 hour time limit seems tight given my Ice Age 50k time. Plus, if it's as muddy as I heard it was this past year, yikes!

I hope you can get off the injury list soon! Are you doing Ice Age again this year?

Thanks EDMW for the advice!

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

If I were you, I wouldn't choose to run Glacial Trail as my first 50.  It's a hard course with a tough time limit.  You're slightly faster than me.  My best Ice Age 50K was 7:07 and I wouldn't attempt the 50 at GT because I don't think I could finish in 12 hours.  Hell, I'm too scared to sign up for the 50 at Ice Age because I'm worried about something stupid happening like running a 12:06 and missing the cut off by 6 minutes and not having an official finish.

Northface would be a great option for a first 50 with a 13 hour cut off.  So would Farmdale (October, down in IL.)  To me, worrying about cutoffs during your first 50M would be really stressful.  And you don't need to find a race as your last long run.  Nothing wrong with heading out for a 7-8 hour training run in the Kettles or somewhere.  Heck, I'd do a 50K training run with you if you wanted.  (And I am not injured!)

I do plan on running the 50K again at Ice Age next year!  See you there?

Running is dumb.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I just checked my training log and found that before my first 50M, I also had never done a run longer than a 50k. However, my weekly mileage was between 45 and 70 mpw, and my routine runs were usually 12 to 18 miles in the two months before the race.

I ran a 27-mile run 8 weeks out, a 24-mile run 3 weeks out, and an 18-mile run one week before the race, and while those long runs were great, the 18-miler one week out was a stupid thing to do. Eventually, it did not hurt my race, but I had mixed feelings about that run - it was a confidence booster, yes, but 4 days before the race, I still felt tired from it, and that put the "confidence" into a slightly different corner.

I was shut down for quite a while (from late April through mid-August) by health problems before the 50M, but I still kept somewhat of a base, and seriously cranked up the training in the 8 or 9 weeks before the race. I was fine on the 50 miles, I actually enjoyed it.

But the terrain can make a huge difference, and the condition of the trail (dry, slippery, muddy,...). From my experience, I would chose a fairly gentle course for a first 50M, although for shorter distances, I did not mind jumping right onto quite difficult trails, e.g. for my first 30k and 50k. But a 50-miler is a different beast.

Run for fun.

runner1304

Hi Mandy, FTYC. Thanks for the response!

Mandy, I think you just confirmed my concerns about Glacial Trail. Sounds like its more than I should try this year. I think I'll hold off on deciding on all this until the Spring is here and I see how my winter training goes. I'll just focus on a Spring 50k for now. I'm heavily leaning toward running Ice Age 50k again next year, but haven't quite convinced myself. Part of me feels like I should try other courses. But, the other part of me wants to see how I would do on the same course with better training. Smile I'll definitely be there though! If I don't run, I want to volunteer. Plus, my husband wants to run the half. I hope to see you there! I'd be happy to run a training run in the Kettles with you. Its a bit of a hike for me, but if I plan a trip up there, I'll give you a shout.

FTYC, thanks for the advice. It sounds like consist weekly mileage is equally if not more important as the longest long run. I need to remember that.

Thanks again to everyone who weighed in!