Trailer Trash

Cold Sundaily (Read 33 times)

moonlightrunner

Good afternoon. Everyone having great long runs today? Mine wl be later. It is cold today again. I wish Mandy and NH had some warm weather to send this way!

Qotd: did any one piece of equipment help you through a tough winter? Granted, my wi,ter running was limited, but a lightweight "heat generating" jacket was awesome.

Hope everyone has a great day!

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

No long runs for this girl today.  Mile Run Trail 1/2 kicked off my race season yesterday and aside from the frigid weather and the fact that a detour on route 80 resulted in some chaos and a late start, it was an awesome beautiful race.  Definitely inspired me! Though my body today is like no no no.

QOTD: this is the first winter I consistently ran through, and I still don't think I have the gear situation under control.  Been trying to transition from a bunch of bulky layers to more efficient lightweight stuff, and my wool zip up definitely saw its share of miles this year.  I'm in for answers because now's the time to buy with the seasons changing.

20 miles and 3800' gain this morning, last long(er) run before race day. Felt excellent! Somehow beat my 18 mile long run on the same course by almost half min per mile, and felt even better afterwards. Lots of animals out this morning! Saw about 3 coyote, a couple herds of mule deer and tons of western meadowlarks...one of my favorites.

qotd: only thing I can think of is my OR meteor mitten that are my winter climbing mitts, but I used the inner liners as winter running mitts. Nice flip back fingers for messing with my phone. Love em.

NorthernHarrier

Moonlight, just one more day then it looks like we'll get you some better weather but today is just a loser with strong winds, cold temps, and it just stopped the freezing drizzle. Nasty. But I will still be heading out in a little bit for 4-5 easy trail miles.    Long run in the Kettle Moraine yesterday. Pretty decent trail conditions and while physically I felt pretty good, mentally I am just not into running that long anymore.

QOTD--No new purchases or nothing magical. Just screw shoes. Conditions just seemed right for them this year more than micro-spikes and I think I logged more miles in them this year as maybe the last 4 years combined.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Harrier is a tougher mofo than I.  Freezing rain, really nasty winds, and cold temps today and I'm bailing.  Fuck this shit.  I'll run tomorrow when it's in the 50s.

QOTD: I bought a waterproof down jacket (OR Floodlight) this winter and it was amazing.  It kept me warm and dry during all my time spent outside and at the dog park.  Very happy with my purchase.

Running is dumb.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

back home; headed out for 6-7 miles in the hills- weather is near perfect- 45, cloudy w/ a light breeze

qotd: between my microspikes and running snowshoes, I was able to get good, tough miles in all winter- a couple of below 0 stretches where i was forced on the dreadmill, but it was just a handful

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

muppy

About 9 slow almost walking miles yesterday sweeping a race.

QOTD The best thing I do over winter  is carry a pair of rubber gloves, like the doctors use.  I use them either for a glove liner if my hands get really cold or the gloves get wet. I've also used them as a earmuffs under my sweaty hat  froze solid, and I stay toasty warm.

moonlightrunner

This is an idea I will keep in mind if I ever run another winter ultra in rain/snow.

About 9 slow almost walking miles yesterday sweeping a race.

QOTD The best thing I do over winter  is carry a pair of rubber gloves, like the doctors use.  I use them either for a glove liner if my hands get really cold or the gloves get wet. I've also used them as a earmuffs under my sweaty hat  froze solid, and I stay toasty warm.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Daydreamer1

Had a nice fast short run yesterday. Today I'm spending 24 fun filled hours at work. I just realized that I'm scheduled to work 94 hours between this past Friday to Thursday. Don't know how I did that .

Martha - I was wondering how the race went, especially with the fresh snow.  Waiting on the RR.

QOTD: First thing that comes to mind was back when I was biking through the winter. I actually enjoyed riding in the worst the weather had to offer. I picked up a cheap jacket at Wal-Mart. This was back in the day when they actually had some decent stuff. It had chest and pit zips and was almost waterproof. Never got cold while wearing that thing and it was a quarter the price of a regular cold weather bike jacket.

For running I'd have to pick my waterproof socks. Had several pairs from my biking days. I use them more to keep the wind out then to keep the water out but they really keep the toes warm.  And speaking of blocking the wind. I have two pairs of windproof underwear that keeps certain parts from freezing .

Daydreamer - I will try to put together a coherent one here eventually. It was much colder than I anticipated, my phone battery zapped pretty fast, so I sadly took no pictures, but I really enjoyed the race as a whole.  Definitely some good running there.  That's the thing that struck me the most about it... While there was some climbing, in my limited experience it was the most runnable Pennsylvania trail race course I've done thus far. There was a really bad detour on route 80 that got me all sorts of turned around, and I was just pulling in as everyone was crossing the starting line. (They even pushed the start back an extra 1/2 hour, and there was at least 5 others who started around the time I did as well) It's  depressing sitting in your car waiting for everyone to pass so you can get started, but I made the best of it.

I got bottlenecked behind a lot of hikers for the first 3ish miles, but after that, really good running. I will definitely do it again if my work schedule allows - even with those sadistic freezing culverts of death at the end. I finished in 3:11 which was a blow to the old pride, but within the circumstances I am not mad. Plus, it was a really fun race.

Taking my first stab at Dirty Kiln next weekend - just the 5 miler, just for fun.

also - best wishes on your upcoming hell week. Been there, done that... I feel your pain

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

12+ miles on the - gasp - paved bike path, and even though I crashed on the last 3 miles due to lack of food (I had started out several hours after breakfast), I beat my PR by at least 2 minutes.

Now I am not sure if I should run my "classic" Tussey Teaser, the 11-mile run to Whipple Lake. Last time, 2 years ago, I ran fairly fast and set my goal for "next time" at sub-1:35. So there's some work to do. I'll see if I'll get off work for that.

QOTD: The hi-viz jacket that I got for finishing ES100 turned out to be worth its weight in gold. It is rain- and snow-resistant, wind-blocking, and it adds just the right amount of warmth to wear it over a light fleece for temps between 20 and 35 degrees (depending on the wind and rain).

Happy with the YakTrax pro as well, this year, with the lots of packed snow, they were at least as valuable as the spikes.

Run for fun.

Ran the Naked Bavarian Marathon (27.3 miles) in 5:29.59 today at Blue Marsh Lake. I felt great the whole time, which was nice for a long run. I credit it to great weather, Tailwind, and good company. Trail conditions were pretty good, minus some muddy spots. The post race latkes were terrific, as usual!

QOTD: Best piece of winter gear this year was my smartwool neck gaiter, hands down. Also, my Brooks Utopia jacket which is going strong on its third  year.

runtraildc

Squeezed in a little over 6 miles between swim events.  Almost all of which was on dirt trails.  It was great to get into the woods, with only a few mtn bikers.  I wished I had had more time as I wanted to go further.   My legs were tired though, too.  Too much pavement lately.

It looks as if we have a few RRs coming soon!  I'm looking forward to reading them.

TnC- I cannot see your pic.  Maybe it's just my computer, but it is also possible the link is not working for all.

qotd:  My mizuno fleece tights with wind-blocking panels.  Just wore them again yesterday in 30* and 20 mph wind gusts.  I hate cold quads.

some call me Tim

Last 19 miler before race day today, and I was definitely under fueled... Rode the bonk line for the last 7 or so. I still got up the hill at the end though, and now its taper time!!

I hope you all have a great week!

qotd: a secondhand Patagonia ski jacket saved my butt a number of times, even if it's technically too heavy for running

hog4life

8 on a new Greenway. I'm not too sore after the 25k, lol, maybe I should have pushed it a little harder.

QOTD,  nothing new, but I have a couple of neck gaiters that I feel are a must in really cold temps.