Trailer Trash

sWeltering Wednesday (Read 18 times)

LB2

Freakin' humidity is just relentless!!! I ran a quick 2.5 this morning. I got a late start, and we are trying to close out the enrollment for the semester today.

QOTD: I have nothing...

LB2

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

4 miles with Tiny E yesterday after work; going to be hot here today (90), so will go to the gym to strength train

qotd: familiarity with horses?  I grew up riding horses (ponies as a youngster Smile).  I rode horses occasionally for work (packing in and patrolling backcountry areas).  I also had a buddy of mine that had a ranch north of town (Miles City) and would help him gather cows, mend fence, etc.  He always got a kick out of giving me a horse that was a little on the "raw" side   My riding was so infrequent that I would be sore for days after spending any length of time in the saddle.  I haven't been in a saddle now for 6-7 years.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

dhuffman63

Trails

LB I feel for you all...I have friends in San Antonio and Houston.  It's been awful here too but this morning it was 65 degrees, slight breeze and very low humidity.  Supposed to be sunny and 85 for a high.  Today would be a good day to play hooky but I've got a huge project I'm only halfway through....sigh.  I am hoping the paddock will dry some but we get the rain chances again beginning tomorrow.  I'm so tired of the rain...I could do with a month or two without.

qotd: How many of you vary the brands of shoes you wear?  I have Altras, Topos, Ascis, Saucony right now that I cycle through.  I'm looking for the right one to get me through a 50 mile fixed time event (probably take me at least 18 hours)...I'm slow and it's a 24 hour event.

MT's qotd: I've wanted horses since I was very young and finally when I was 10 my dad bought me a Welsh pony who had a 2 week foal at her side.  I rode her until he was old enough then trained him to ride.  My dad sold my horses when I was in HS and I hated him for that.  Finally got my own again in 2000 and have them to this day.  Any chance I got in between I rode...it's like its hard wired into me.  I haven't ridden for years now due to a bad accident on a nutso one, kind of lost my nerve but still like having them around.

runtraildc

Morning folks. Just got back from the soccer field with Chowder and the Chuck-It, working on his recall, which is pretty good when a ball and jerky treats are involved. I would not trust him in the woods off leash though. He's keenly interested in squirrels lately.  No run for me today. Did get in the planned second run last night. 3.5 miles with the brewery group and it felt surprisingly good and also at a brisker pace than lately.

Q1: No real experience. Ridden a few times, I pet them at the stables in rock creek, when they allow it.

Q2: Only brooks. I vary the models of road shoes, but the trail ones are usually cascadias. However, I'm heading to the LRS later today so we'll see if I come out with another brand. Probably not.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Morning folks. Just got back from the soccer field with Chowder and the Chuck-It, working on his recall, which is pretty good when a ball and jerky treats are involved. I would not trust him in the woods off leash though.

I always wanted a dog that would play fetch and run off leash.  Bella was neither.  Smile

Climbing at the gym tonight for me.  I bought a new crash pad too -- should arrive tomorrow!  I'm not giving this one away.

QOTD:  I like horses, as I like most animals!  Not a whole lot of experience though.  I've only ridden a horse a handful of times as a kid.  Never as an adult.  We had a family with a couple of horses in our neighborhood growing up.  We used to go hang out and pet them.  I always loved their fuzzy noses.

Shoe QOTD:  I think varying brands is a good idea, as varying the types of shoes too.

Running is dumb.

XtremeTaper

Last night, about 6.5 out on the wilder side of the lake. Run started out pretty decent but eventually I slid into slog mode when I hit the more rugged parts of the trail. Nice evening but gosh it's getting dusky so early now.

More humid here today, but not surprising with rain in the forecast. I guess we'll see what it does later. Plans now are for 5-6 miles after work. Did the usual dog loop with the Lady this morning. Foggy and grey.

QOTD: I rode a horse exactly one time on the beach near Port Aransas (Padre Island). My wife said they gave me the old slow horse and that I was dumb to tell them I had never rode before. The things we do for love. My wife grew up with horses in Oklahoma, but has not been around them much as an adult.

QOTD2: I have 3 pair of Altras in rotation for the trails, 1 Lone Peak (old), 1 Timp, 1 Lone Peak (new). Seems I run into a lot of mud so like to give the shoes a day to dry out. I have a some Altras for the road too. The model escapes me.

Runtrail - The gsp rescue did not work out. We did not get to meet him since he was adopted by the first family that visited him on Saturday.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

qotd 2: I have three pairs of LaSportiva Akasha’s (one new, one medium and one older) that I’m rotating. I also have an older pair (but not a ton of miles) of Altra Olympus (older version) and a pair of Hoka Sinsons (older version too) that see some action.

I should be better rotating the Altras and Hokas in, just much prefer the Akasha’s

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

LB2

MT QOTD: I grew up around horses. My grandpaw ran cattle when things were pretty open. Most of ours were in fenced pastures, but they always went out and helped others round up cattle that were pretty much free ranging. Stock laws came into effect in the 1980's, and that changed all that. I had a pony when I was a kid. But I don't really care much about riding a horse.

QOTD 2: I have some Altra's, Hoka's, and Columbia/Montrails right now. I am pretty much stuck on Altra's, but I ran in the Hoka's one day this week.

LB2

LB2

Hoka Sinsons (older version too) that see some action.

Are those Stinsons old enough to have the Hubble Foam? I loved that foam, so squishy.

LB2

Sandy-2

I plan to get out for a couple of slow miles after work today.  The calf is feeling better today so why not give it a whirl, I have also been doing some heel drop eccentric exercises so that has been helping.

q1: I am familiar with crewing horses, warming them up, cooling them down, giving them electrolytes, etc. but I never really rode them.

q2: I've been running in Asics Nimbis road shoes for a million years and still do.  95% of the time I'm in the Asics, but I also have a pair of Hoka Challenger ATRs that I wear for long rocky runs mostly because they are easier on the bottoms of my feet.

tbd.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Are those Stinsons old enough to have the Hubble Foam? I loved that foam, so squishy.

not sure; picked them up on Sierra Trading Post for a song ($40-50) 2-3 years ago- they are definitely the most cushy shoe I own Smile

Sandy- get up on one- just to say you’ve done it!

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Sandy-2

Sandy- get up on one- just to say you’ve done it!

I should clarify, I have gone on very controlled trail rides a few times. But just walking slowly along wooded trails in a line, I could have dropped the rains and fallen asleep and the horse would have just kept going following the horse in front of it.   I know that is technically riding, but it's not out in the open, cantering/galloping along under control. In that case I'd be off on my ass in a matter of seconds.

I have to say that Devan has threatened to teach me how to ride (talk about having an excellent teacher) so we can do a "ride-n-tie" one of these days. 

tbd.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Do it- might as well take advantage of a very competent AND free instructor! Smile

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

LB2

I should clarify, I have gone on very controlled trail rides a few times. But just walking slowly along wooded trails in a line, I could have dropped the rains and fallen asleep and the horse would have just kept going following the horse in front of it.   I know that is technically riding, but it's not out in the open, cantering/galloping along under control. In that case I'd be off on my ass in a matter of seconds.

That "very controlled trail rides" reminds me of the last time I got on a horse. It was a pretty easy ride out. We got to the turnaround, and it was like I was running the Kentucky Derby. This horse bolted back to the barn. I did everything I knew to slow it down. We hit a blacktop road across from the barn, and thank God no cars were coming because she never let up. We got to the barn door, and she stopped on a dime. I have no idea how I stayed on.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

Had to run on TM at lunch as storms moved in faster than forecasted. Didn't last long, as I was too bored, and had my mind set on being outside on Battlefield.

QOTD 1:  I've ridden a horse 1 time as an adult.

Only know this about horses / ponies (from the Assateague Island National Seashore Site)

QOTD: #2  I mix up my shoes on a daily basis, but have been with Inov8, Altra (Lone Peak and Olympus) and Hoka (Clifton's) for several years.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway!