Trailer Trash

Thundering Thursdalies (Read 21 times)

Daydreamer1

Got woke up early this morning by a thunderstorm rolling through. Was kind of nervous that the electricity might go off while we were getting ready for work.

Didn't have time for a run/walk/ride on Tuesday. Spent the day doing stuff around the house. The 25-26 year old garage door on my one shed fell apart so now I have to get another one for that.  Never ending.

Spent part of yesterday up on the mountain on the bike.  Really loving the new one.  Been riding stuff that I never did before.  Part of that is because of having bigger wheels and tires but a good deal of it comes down to just trying harder and confidence. Last year I decided to tackle some stuff I'd never rode before with a wrecks be damned attitude and found out that I could ride stuff I didn't think I could.  Really enjoying blasting along on some of the trails at 2-3 times the speed I can run them.  At the same time there are a few places that I know the top trail runners can hit almost maximum speed on which is almost as fast as I'm doing on the bike.  Kind of humbling to realize that. Then there are hills that I used to run faster then I grind up with the bike .  Really enjoying the bike. The ride dropped my blood pressure by 20 points I'm sure.

And then I Stopped by my parents house after the ride. That didn't go so well.  My one aunt is dying of cancer and it seems like my mother wants to compete with her for attention or something.  That raised my pressure by 40 points .

QOTD:  Don't really have too much, so feel free to post something other then this?

Anyone else subscribe to runningahead.com?  I have been the last three years. I hate ads and that was my way of getting rid of them and not feeling like a freeloader .

dhuffman63

Trails

Well I got to see my very first tornado...touched down about 3 miles west of us.  It was small, probably a EF0 or a 1.  It was both fascinating and scary.  It looked kind of like the old pictures of tornadoes not the monster ones we get now.  The flooding isn't affecting us at the house but I cross 2 rivers, Twin Bridges over the Spring and Neosho rivers and they are very high, maybe 6 feet or so from being on the road.  I'm kind of happy to be driving down to TX where it's supposed to be dry, I'm tired of the rain.  The mesonet shows almost 12 inches in the last 5 days.

So excited for Possum's.  I have almost everything all packed but still need to load the car which I'll do tonight.  It'll be about a 7 hour drive so I want to start early.  Since I got almost no sleep last night due to all the warnings I'm hoping tonight is a good sleep.

qotd: How do you make sure you hydrate enough ahead of a hot run?  I've been trying to drink as much as possible and by the end of the day I feel waterlogged and my pee is crystal clear.  Since I have chronic kidney disease I need to make sure I don't drink to excess.

LB2

No run this morning. This whole month has been a total mess. We had several days of severe weather that shut things down, violent storms. This week has been very busy with end of school things going on. Plus, it is getting warm out there. Horseflies are not as bad as they normally are, so I have no complaints about that. I just hate that my mileage has suffered greatly this month.

QOTD: No. I just freeload and deal with ads. I don't really see too many, though.

QOTD2: If I am running something long, I will try to drink as much water as possible a few days leading up to it, but I don't know how much good it does when you are talking about 100 miles or something like that. I do know that drinking too much beer the day before a 100 mile run does nothing to help you. I definitely know that. I wouldn't even look at a beer for a few days before a 100 now.

LB2

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Probably Pilates later... maybe a jog with the dogs...depends on the weather....I am so sick of rain too.

Qotd1: Free loader here..

qotd2:  clear pee...but I am usually under hydrated....choosing to rehydrate with beverages that dehydrate you.

qotd3 (why not). Trail work, do you do it or are you a lazy parasite like me?  this article got me thinking I need to start paying back.  I never did before while working as my own yard consumed my free time.  https://www.outsideonline.com/2396926/trail-runners-are-lazy-parasites?fbclid=IwAR3ipQ0jpjDysR_geMXImUrOyVRRwms4Ny5plGHsO89DqU-5ADFPEjhp7j8

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

AT-runner

Tim

Waiting at Harrisburg airport for my Mom. Will run later with DW and then we're going to a brew pub for dinner.

Sue - I posted a thread about that article yesterday.

QOTD : I pay the $. They do good work here, so happy to help out.

QOTD 2:  not really sure if you can pre-hydrate ( as in days in advance), but add some electrolytes in with all that water.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

4-ish miles w/ Tiny E yesterday, something similar this afternoon

getting gear ready to head out tomorrow; made some wholesale changes due to the predicted weather- plenty of rain/snow it appears

qotd:  one of these days will get around to paying, but haven't yet

qotd2: I probably hydrate a little more in the evening/morning before an event, but nothing crazy- during the race what works best for me is to drink (and eat) on a regular schedule- every 1/2 half hour take a drink, every half hour get a few (50-ish) calories in.  I tend not to get behind on either hydration or calories if I stay on a set schedule

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Queen of Nothing

Sue

That just looks fucking miserable!   Good luck...stay warm.  Enjoy that swim 

4-ish miles w/ Tiny E yesterday, something similar this afternoon

getting gear ready to head out tomorrow; made some wholesale changes due to the predicted weather- plenty of rain/snow it appears

qotd:  one of these days will get around to paying, but haven't yet

qotd2: I probably hydrate a little more in the evening/morning before an event, but nothing crazy- during the race what works best for me is to drink (and eat) on a regular schedule- every 1/2 half hour take a drink, every half hour get a few (50-ish) calories in.  I tend not to get behind on either hydration or calories if I stay on a set schedule

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

First bike commute of the year.  I would like to make this more of a priority this year.  I only rode in one time last year.  But to be fair to myself, I could barely get out of bed and function last summer.  Bike commuting was the last thing on my mind.  But without an asshole ex and an anxiety ridden elderly dog, I have no excuses.  13.4 miles in, and it'll be about 17 miles home, I think.  This is the first time commuting from my new apartment too.  Hauling a heavy bike with a pannier up and down a flight of stairs kind of sucks.

Warden - uh, hey, can you please not die during the Bob this year?  That forecast looks miserable.

QOTD: Please subscribe if you don't already!  $10 is nothing and we spend so much time here.  This isn't a mega conglomerate like RWOL.  It's just a nice guy named Eric who runs this whole website.  Quit being freeloading slackers!

QOTD2:  Heat?  What's heat?  We don't have heat up here.

Running is dumb.

Sandy-2

Plan to do a little 3 mi joggy jog after work today.  Then I’ll pack the car for Possum.  Heading to the run straight from work tomorrow afternoon.  It’s a 5 hr drive for me. dhuff since you said it’s about 7 hrs for you - we’re meeting more-or-less in the middle!!

mt - sorry I won’t be able to follow your tracker this year.  It was fun figuring out which way you were heading. Like following my DD in Mongolia.  Anyway I’ll just have to wait for the RR afterwards.  The weather looks good... a balmy 45 deg for you.  You’ll be sleeping in a warm bag during the cold parts right.  You just need to bring an umbrella.    

qotd: Freeloader.

qotd: Yes I do try to drink a little extra leading up to warm runs like this weekend.  Not too crazy and not sure it helps, but what the heck....  wait....   be right back......  gotta pee.

tbd.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

funny that's exactly what DW said, well that and "you're (me) a dumbass!" 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

dhuffman63

Trails

MT that looks absolutely awful...I'd certainly pull the plug as I hate cold and the idea of swimming a freezing river ...just no.

Woo hoo Sandy.  I wish I could keep your pace as I'd love to hear your DD's stories.  I haven't seen the movie but watched the trailer yesterday and that looked awesome....if I was 20 years younger, back when I had no fear.   She's my hero.  And she did Tevis?

Daydreamer you and Mandy with the bikes...every time I ride one I fall off.  I wanted to so a Sprint Tri but have no bike and there's my inability to actually stay on one.  I prefer 4 wheels or legs.

qotd: I've been a freeloader but may subscribe.  I don't use much other than this forum and the Training Log.  Figured out this year how to track walk miles and not just run.

AT-runner

Tim

funny that's exactly what DW said, well that and "you're (me) a dumbass!" 

She'll be curled up on the couch with Tiny E watching Netflix's and sipping wine.

Good luck, and stay safe. We'll be following you.

Here's a video tip from Bear Grylls to keep you alive. 

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

runtraildc

+1.

No run yet today. Ran 5 on Tuesday with the new running group at a new microbrewery just a 5 min run from my house. Half the distance was on the bike trail, does that count? I ran faster than I have in a while, which was my plan, so it worked out well.  Did not run yesterday. Will get in 4 or 5 later, once the thunderstorms clear out.

q1: freeloader here, too.

q2:  For my distances, usually not an issue. But then the heat and humidity has arrived for the summer and I need to get back ini the habit of drinking extra. The tonic in a G&T doesn't count, does it?

moonlightrunner

Subscribe? I did not know it was an option...I will have to look. You guys are worth more than $10. My way of giving back to the trail running community since I am a lazy trail runner.

AT: hope you have a good time with your mom.

Warden: wow...just...WOW!  What an adventure it will be.

Dhuff: excited for you! Glad you are safe. They are fun to watch at a distance.

Dd: aren't family dynamics fun?

LB: hope you get some time soon...and the weather improves.

Queen. I am at work...very jealous. Enjoy every minute!

Mandy: I would love to bike commute...but I am afraid of traffic. Be careful!

Qodd1: see above

Qotd2: not a planner...I do t even this think about such preparations.

Walked 1.2 miles with the brace on...did not feel bad. Ahhh... awesome training session for Kettle.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Sandy-2

Woo hoo Sandy.  I wish I could keep your pace as I'd love to hear your DD's stories.  I haven't seen the movie but watched the trailer yesterday and that looked awesome....if I was 20 years younger, back when I had no fear.   She's my hero.  And she did Tevis?

Yeah, you'll have to watch the movie.  As AT mentioned, perhaps my DD uses a little "colorful" language....  I have no idea where she got that from...    

Tevis? Yes, three times.  Well... she finished twice.  The third time she got to the finish and then was pulled (slight front quarter lameness I think).

tbd.