Trailer Trash

I need advice (Read 389 times)

DoppleBock

I live in flatville WI.  I ran 70/100 miles of Leadville 100 because of 2 reasons.  I did not respect the long downhills and ran too hard and I did not take enough time coming back up Hope pass.  I took 20 short breaks coming up the 1st time and only 2 coming back up the 2nd time.

I think I did OK training for where I live.  I ran 4+ hours on technical trails with lots of little hills (that is all we have) once per week (1 hour drive each way) and I ground up and down the longest road hill I could find (200 vertical feet - 1/2 mile one way and 1/4 mile the other) for as long as I could stand once or twice a week.  The downhill conditioned my quads for downhill running.  But Again I blew it by absolutely bombing powerlines and the backside of Hope Pass.

You have to make do the best with what you have available.  I could not simulate elevation and I could not simulate running the length of ups or downs that will be found in the race.

Also if you have only ran marathons - You need an attitude adjustment.  Think of the Leadville 50 as a fun hiking experience with friends and not a race.  Take your time - Enjoy the views, take an extra minute at aide stations to get everything you need.  You will be more than capable of doing Leadville 50M.  But you and all of us are more than capable of screwing it up and not finishing it.

I have no real experience - But I think we are in a similar boat of what we have to train on.

Good luck.

Let me add this, The leadville training camp, escaping to some remote location outside of Omaha to a higher elevation, or anything expensive or time consuming is out of the question, It is just something I cannot do. What I can and am forced to do is show up the day before the race and give it my 100 percent. I have from now until July 14th to prepare. I will do all the V02 training I possibly can, hell I will even try snorkel training if I can verify that it has helped others in my boat.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

The mileage + Elevation + Verticle should scare you 

The mileage should scare you, or, at least generate a healthy amount of respect.

for me 50 or 100 miles did not phase me and I did not factor in my total lack of knowledge of when you add the elevation and verticle + oterh mountain factors.  I failed, because I did not respect the race and went in with a racers mentality ... instead of a finishers mentality.

Now I just want to finish a few before I try and race another 100 in the mountains

You may consider an altitude tent... I think they can be rented on a monthly basis.  Cheaper than a week in Colorado, and likely more useful since you can use it for 6-8 weeks. 

Weegee

…Also if you have only ran marathons - You need an attitude adjustment.  Think of the Leadville 50 as a fun hiking experience with friends and not a race.  Take your time - Enjoy the views, take an extra minute at aide stations to get everything you need.  You will be more than capable of doing Leadville 50M.  But you and all of us are more than capable of screwing it up and not finishing it.

Ditto what DoppleBock said.  Running stairs until you puke is great training (I suppose) if that turns you on, but that sort of "damn the torpedoes" attitude is usually what precedes a massive crash.  I had to give the "noble DNF" speech to a couple of folks who did that while sweeping the White River 50 this year.

Going for some very long (16+ hour) hikes will help greatly.  Also, in your last week before the race, practice running so damn slowly you can't stand it and feel embarrassed when people look at you.  That sort of very slow, deliberate approach is what you need at the start of Leadville.  When you get 20 miles in and feel great you can crank it up.

DoppleBock

Fixed

That sort of very slow, deliberate approach is what you need at the start of Leadville.  When you get 20 40 miles in and feel great you can crank it up.

run4loss

Deleted

Weegee

Deleted

Hmmmm…  That was actually an interesting idea.  Perhaps not the best advice to someone doing their first 50, but the chemistry is fascinating.

Oh, and DoppleBock: I saw a photo yesterday that made me think of you:

Occasional Runner

As someone considering the 100, can I piggyback?

I am planning to run (and ski) in Tahoe this winter/spring/summer, but that gets us to about 9000 or so feet. If I can I will do the Leadville camp, which strikes me as more realistic than taking a week off prior to the race to acclimate (maybe a day or two).

As for training runs, I am signed up for the Lake Sonoma 50 (10,500 feet of elevation gain/loss) in April, then just lots of hill running and trying to get some altitude training in, i.e. some 50 mile weekends and a few 80-100 (quality) mile weeks.

Reasonable plan?

Your ski trips won't do anything to aid in your altitude performance at Leadville.

Watoni

Your ski trips won't do anything to aid in your altitude performance at Leadville.

Ok, I thought they were about as much help as walking/hiking at 9000 feet (at least hiking with skiis to the slopes).

How does the plan sound otherwise?

Occasional Runner

Ok, I thought they were about as much help as walking/hiking at 9000 feet (at least hiking with skiis to the slopes).

How does the plan sound otherwise?

The activity from skiing and the benefit of the physical activity is good. But the acclimation won't last, assuming you'll be done skiing well before July. 

Jruckman

I am by no means disrespectful of the mileage itself. If I was simply looking at an ultra that was 50 miles on relatively flat ground or even with simple hills I would not be afraid. Like many of you have said it is when I couple all the other factors into the equation that my nerves begin to flutter. I don't want anyone to misconstrue what I am saying. I have a great amount of respect for the challenge ahead and am by no means taking it lightly. Thank you all for your advice, It has been most beneficial.

Weegee

I am by no means disrespectful of the mileage itself. If I was simply looking at an ultra that was 50 miles on relatively flat ground or even with simple hills I would not be afraid. Like many of you have said it is when I couple all the other factors into the equation that my nerves begin to flutter. I don't want anyone to misconstrue what I am saying. I have a great amount of respect for the challenge ahead and am by no means taking it lightly. Thank you all for your advice, It has been most beneficial.

We're just razzing you a little bit.  We do all want you to have a great race, so don't let us chase you away, okay?

If Lace_Up had asked anybody about his couch-to-100-mile plans he would have received ten times the hassling from me.  (And I'd be eating crow now.)

Watoni

The activity from skiing and the benefit of the physical activity is good. But the acclimation won't last, assuming you'll be done skiing well before July. 

No, I will be running the Rim Trail up there as well throughout the spring (as weather allows) and summer.

Short periodic trips to altitude weeks and months before an event aren't going to help you acclimate.  They will be useful to gauging how your body tends to react to altitude, but the acclimatization doesn't last.

I lose a lot of acclimatization just visiting family in the midwest for a week or two.  And I live at 5500' and run up to 14,000' the other 50 weeks per year.

DoppleBock

Nice - Yes I have dimples on my ass 

Hmmmm…  That was actually an interesting idea.  Perhaps not the best advice to someone doing their first 50, but the chemistry is fascinating.

Oh, and DoppleBock: I saw a photo yesterday that made me think of you: