Trailer Trash

Waffling Wednesdaily (Read 21 times)

XtremeTaper

Waiting for a small storm to pass so that I can walk the dogs. We would have been out earlier but thunder and lightening started once I had them ready. Should have checked the radar before that.. it just seemed grey and humid. Now they are all wound up but it's dark clouds and thunder.

Feeling really tired this week. Came on Saturday, sort of a droopy tired eyes feeling. Keep wanting to take a nap. I did get out for 4 miles with the dogs last night at Coventry Woods. Real slow, a plod, but I was running my friend's dog on leash and the trails were damp so I was being careful. Yeah. Nice excuse. She's ran off leash before but I wasn't comfortable trying that last night. She's just been getting the hang of it. Hope to get out this evening for some miles out at the lake.

QOTD: Waffle House? Do you even have them in your area? Yay or nay?

None in our immediate area but there are some in the state, one up near Allentown and then down by my friends house in Delaware. Harrisburg too. My wife used to love them for a quick stop of greasy food on long road trips, then we stopped at a real nasty one in VA and we have not gone back since. I was always a big fan of the waffle house special, or the home fries smothered covered and chunked.

Couch - Have fun in VA beach. If you are in need of some dirt and woods, First Landing Park is a mile or two up from the end of the boardwalk. A decent flat rail trail runs down the center of the park, with some single track branching off in a few places. Of course I ran there when I was in VA beach. The concrete boardwalk was just not my style.

WCRunner - Hope you made it finally!

Harrier - Man, that sounds nice. The climbs and pub. How do you pull of three 14'rs in one day? I guess they must be nearby and/or part of a single hike?

In dog beers, I've only had one.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

It's my Friday!  I was supposed to be backpacking in Wyoming this week, and clearly I am not in Wyoming.  But I'm still taking a couple of days off.

Climbing tonight.  I took my belay class on Monday and hopefully will pass my test tonight.  Any tips, Berto?  (Hoping for an update from you too!)  I will not take my brake hand off the rope! 

QOTD:  No Waffle Houses up North.  I actually have never been.  I went to a Huddle House in Georgia once...Waffle House's shittier cousin?  I don't know, it's pretty hard to screw up breakfast foods.  That said, when I got strawberry waffles, the strawberries were clearly from a can and packed with sugar.  I scrapped most of them off.

Running is dumb.

dhuffman63

Trails

qotd: They are all over the place here...we call them Awful House.  DD used to like their omlets but learned to make her own.  My grandpa loved them but everyone else hates them.

Been doing much of nothing.  Going to have to have the vet out to look at one of the horses.  Think it's worse than a stone bruise but  need xrays.

FTYC wow I wish I was at the beach.

George hope you made it and that you have a good race.

Bert, thinking of you.

Sandy-2

Stayed up a little late last night following the final stage of the Mongol Derby.  I haven't been closely following this year, just reading my DD's FB posts. But I had to see the end.  The 70 year old Wyoming cowboy won it!!!

So I slept in this morning.  I'll probably skip my run today and do some core stuff after work.  It's too freaking hot.

qotd: Yes we have them down here, we went once, haven't been back since. Enough said.

tbd.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Will get out for a short run later tonight.  I have been dragging the last few days.  I am thinking it is just readjusting to real life after vacation.

XT: Are you hungry for waffles??

Mandy - sorry your trip did not happen.  Hopefully you pass your belay test.

dhuff - sorry about the horse.  I can only imagine what that vet bill costs.  We just had our 9 lb. dog at the vet.  She may have a partially torn ACL.  But we need xrays too.

Sandy - yay for the old cowboy!

Bert - please check in!

QOTD: Been a few times.  But it reminds me we, as a family, just recently went to IHOP for the first time.  It was ok.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

runtraildc

Morning all. Got in just under 6 last night with the brewery group. It's a new brewery a half mile from my house, which is the perfect warm up (and it would take longer to drive and park!).  Our area has become a magnet/start up for microbreweries and this one, so far, is the best.  No run today. My legs need a rest and I'm getting ready to go to NH tomorrow morning for a long weekend. Cooler weather, wild blueberries, the woods and lakes-- looking forward to it.  My sister also lives in a hilly/mountainous area so I will get some long hill training in, too.

Sandy-- I was loosely following the Mongol Derby this year.  I went to bed shortly before the winner crossed over. What an inspiring story!

qotd: There are a few, mostly in VA. I've never been in one, but have been curious. We watched an episode of some show, in which some guy worked 24 hours in one. It was interesting and kinda funny.  I think that show told me all I needed to know.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Got in last night and stayed in Rapid City. Will pick up rental car this morning and head to Badlands NP before ending my day in Custer.

Qotd: I've eaten at Waffle House a few times on trips to VA and NC. Better than McDonald's for a quick meal en route.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Got in last night and stayed in Rapid City. Will pick up rental car this morning and head to Badlands NP before ending my day in Custer.

Qotd: I've eaten at Waffle House a few times on trips to VA and NC. Better than McDonald's for a quick meal en route.

Glad you made it, George!

And I dunno, McDonald's isn't the worst breakfast in the world.  (Again, hard to screw up breakfast.)  I like egg and cheese biscuits with a hashbrown...  Dang, haven't had that in over a year.

Running is dumb.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

4 miles on the trails with Tiny Elvis yesterday evening; probably can’t call it heat training as it was low 80’s- but it sure felt hot. Come on Fall!

Will hit the trails after work today (low 80’s again)

qotd: I went out of state on an investigation- Georgia and the Carolinas; we’re driving on the outskirts of Atlanta and I see a sign for Waffle House- told my partner we’ll have to remember that to eat breakfast. In the next 30 minutes we went by close to a dozen of them!  There are definitely better places to eat breakfast Smile

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

Slow moving today after a night out in DC for baseball. It was "Grateful Dead Night", so took DS and a friend along. Concert before the game and then a great game with a "W".  Scoreboard and music during the game was Grateful Dead related. Got a nice hat, too.

Might skip lunch run and take a nap instead today. 

I messaged Bert, and no reply yet.

Mandy - what happened? Maybe George should have driven out, he would have passed right by Madison and could have dropped you off.

QOTD:  Never been inside one.  iHop for us if we are stopping while travelling, or if we are down South, we'll hit up a "Biscuitville" and they are pretty good for breakfast. Think they are only in Carolinas and VA.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

AT, I like the sound of Biscuitville.  (I'm a big biscuit fan!)  Thanks for continuing to check up on Bert for us, too.

I can't walk without pain right now, so heading up into the mountains for 7 days with 30 pounds on my back to hike for 80 miles seemed like a bad idea.

Running is dumb.

Sandy-2

I can't walk without pain right now, so heading up into the mountains for 7 days with 30 pounds on my back to hike for 80 miles seemed like a bad idea.

Whoa??, way too sensible!!!!!!  No wonder you're our fearless leader.

tbd.

LB2

Another short loop this morning. The first week of the girl's school and the week before my school starts is probably the most stressful time of the year for everyone in my house. So, I'm getting what I can get this week.

QOTD: We have quite a few Waffle House establishments in this area. Frankly, I don't want people who have such little regard for their personal hygiene preparing my food. I think a lot of people feel that way, which is why their busiest times seem to be after the bars close. At 2AM on a Sunday morning, you can see some sights at a Waffle House.

LB2

XtremeTaper

LB2 - Ha. Yes, we stopped at a waffle house somewhere between 2-3am on Saturday in the midst of a drive down to GA. Could not find a hotel that night earlier off I-75 so said screw it and decided to pull an all nighter. I wasn't sure we were going to make it out of there without being witness to violence of other rough shenanigans. I believe they had some law people there as well. It was nuts.

Mandy - LOL. Waffle house, Huddle house are no places to go for fancy fruit topped waffles or pancakes. Now you might be able to get some decent pecans since that's a southern thing. So sorry about your leg pain. That completely sucks.

DHuffman - Awful house!! Ha, that's a good one. Their omelets are actually pretty sucky. I tried one once. Blech.

AT - I can't believe you've never been to a waffle house being so near the Mason Dixon line.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

AT-runner

Tim

AT - I can't believe you've never been to a waffle house being so near the Mason Dixon line.

We have some really close to us, but the one in Chambersburg, PA is always so dirty looking, that we never went inside.  Think my kids went before and didn't like the place.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway!