Trailer Trash

My RWOL Rant (Read 367 times)

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Fuck!  RWOL can KISS my ass.  Especially while it's still healing.

Running is dumb.

Occasional Runner

I can appreciate the insight regarding my story about being banned, but it did happen and it's part of why I'm pissed off. I started writing my blog as a way to capture my personal history, even the less glamorous aspects of it. I never really gave much thought to the fact that people I don't know would even read it. To a large degree, it's still my personal diary and I hate the idea of altering my reality for the benefit of anything. If the fact that I had my account suspended causes me to lose credibility, then so be it. If I felt like I could do serious harm to Runner's World through my actions, i would frame the entire story in a different light, but I don't see that happening. 

Either way, the advertisers spend money based on website traffic. It won't take long to see that the traffic has dried up at RWOL.

Irish Luck

I read the whole blog posting--I thought you summed it up well.  I have found that RW (like some other "fitness" based magazines) have a redundancy problem and after a year or so of issues, you end up recycling so much of the same articles. 

I'm part of a few message boards outside of RWOL and never have I seen moderation handled so poorly after the s*s mass bannings and ego associated with it. 

I decided to cancel my subscription after the recent article about the dog attack (I know it's a hot topic, but I'm a believer in breed neutrality), but the imagery of a dog that is "identified" as a particular, adjacent to bloody socks was over the top. 

Glad to be here!

BT survivor since 2003. Trail runner since 2009.

I think brain surgery stimulated my running nerve and made me into a trail runner. I'm grateful for both.

I actually sent an email directly to Rodale this past Saturday.  Here is what I wrote, word for word:

"I'm sure you may not have noticed, or at the worst, you may not care,
          but the user forum at http://www.runnersworld.com/ has been attacked by
          spam over the last couple of days, that's it's completely unusable at
          this point on Saturday. And, in fact, it's driving a lot of your loyal
          users away. Yes, I understand that it's a free forum and that we do not
          pay for this service. However, this is also a reflection of your brand
          and your company, and right now, the impression that users are getting
          is that you do not care about them, or that you don't care what is being
          posted on your website. Most of the spam is for online streaming of TV
          shows and sporting events, but I did see one x-rated spam post as well.
          I realize this is a holiday weekend, and probably no one is monitoring
          the Runner's World website. At the very least, someone should shut the
          forums down. As it was stated to the user community, a recent upgrade
          to the Pluck software was supposed to be quick and efficient and help to
          control and block the spam. As it is, the forum is now very hard to
          read visually, the site in general, is often very slow, and the spam has
          taken over most of the user boards. Again, this is a DIRECT reflection
          on Rodale and Runner's World, and if it were my company, I would be
          extremely angry. Yes, I also understand that spam posts are still
          traffic, and give you ad hits, but honestly, your true customer base,
          the loyal users of the forums who have been there for years are
          leaving. Many of us are magazine subscribers as well.

Thank you for your time.

my name"

And this is the canned response I got from them today...

"Thank you for contacting Runner's World Magazine.

We appreciate the time you took in providing us with your feedback. We highly value our customers' thoughts and ideas. We will forward your message along to the appropriate department for future consideration.

Your complete satisfaction is our goal. If we did not answer your inquiry to your complete satisfaction or if you need additional assistance, please call us at 800-666-2828.

Sincerely,

name removed"

It's like they didn't even bother to read my message.  How's that for customer service?  Horrible if you ask me. 

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

Wandering Wally

Even worse, it took 48 hours for the response bot to get back to you.  Even their bots are slow.  Sheesh.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

Occasional Runner

It's like they didn't even bother to read my message.  How's that for customer service?  Horrible if you ask me. 

As I have clearly outlined in my blog, their customer service department is made up of one stinky monkey banging away on a laptop. We should expect no more than this.