Trailer Trash

The Thursdaily (11/29) (Read 311 times)

Occasional Runner

Good morning Trailers!

Very tired this morning because we landed in Philly around midnight last night and I got about 3 hours of sleep so I could sneak in a 5 miler before heading into meetings. I have to give two presentations today. YAY!

QOTD: Have you ever signed up for a race while drunk or otherwise impaired in some way and regretted it later?

That's how my entire race plan gets developed.

Have a stellar day!

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Good Morning,

Woke up with an aching back today, and it is getting a little bit better only slowly. Maybe a short run will make it disappear?

DS will get the cast off his arm today, so that's the big event, and the other DS will pick his new glasses - decisions, decisions.

lace-up: Hope your meetings will go well, including the presentations. Remember, it's the audience that falls asleep, not the speaker...

QOTD: No. Have never been drunk in my life... 

Edit: "While otherwise impaired" - does wearing a cast count? That's how I signed up for an 11-miler, and it went well.

Run for fun.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Morning! 4 miles in early in the dark hours.  My feet still hurt Angry.  Buckets! PT later today. 

lace - do you wear a suit for your presentations?

couch - a run would most definately help your back (I think). 

QOTD: No.  I don't drink.  Although during a few races (Hyner being one this year) I felt like I must have been impaired when I signed up for it. 

Have a great day! (oh too much work to do today *^#^$*^^@!)

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

sugnim

Good morning.  It's going to be a long day as I have an extra hour to make up at work today.  Luckily, I have a yoga for runners class that I go to on Thursdays to mellow everything out.

QOTD:  Yes.  Once.  I signed up of a mountain half marathon that I was completely unprepared for.  I figured, in my inebriated state, that 13 miles in the mountains couldn't be much more difficult than 13 miles on the road.  I finished dead last, 18 minutes over the time by which they wanted everyone to complete the course.  (Blog regarding this story is here.)  I'm going to sign up for the race again this year, but I will be better prepared this time.

NorthernHarrier

Well my first feeble attempt at speedwork since my surgery has left me a tad gimpy today. We will see if it feels better later after enough milling around. Probably a rest day the way it looks. Weights,core, and elliptical in the cave tonight. DW wants to go to a movie so that would be good too.

Was thinking of heading north to my shack but it is going to be so nice here and it's like full blown winter up there already. Stay on the trails here in tropical southern Wi. Do a little pheasant hunting. Well maybe a lot of pheasant hunting.

Lace-- I don't think I would fare well with the schedule you keep. Bravo man!

Couch- the short run probably will help, just ease into it. Gentle stretching?

boyjame--You told me to do Hyner. Hmmm??? LOL

sugnim--nice story.

QOTD--No.  But after a few races.....

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Hiya gang! 

Rest day #48,386 (or something like that.)  Actually though, I've made some good healing leaps this week.  I can tell that I'm moving in the right direction, at least - finally!

QOTD: I have signed up for races while drinking, but I have done anything that I have regretted (yet!)

Running is dumb.

Good morning!

I'm hoping for 3ish easy miles on the trails after work today.  I hope it goes better than Tuesday's run. 

QOTD: Sadly yes, I had a couple too many glasses of wine while having dinner with the family.  My mom and brother are both runners and the three of us thought it would be fun to sign up for a race that was super early and about an hour away on a Sunday. 

Steph 

“I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.” John Burroughs

runtraildc

I've been taking it easy the last few days to shake this cold (not working), but I'm itching to get out.  DS asked me to take him out for 3 or 4 tonight after school, so I'm planning on that.

qotd:  nope.  I drink; I race, but don't combine the two.  Unless you count convincing others to race with me while they're 'under the influence'...

Have a great day, everyone!  And for those on the east--- some pretty nice weather heading this way.

jonferg67

Endless trails

Morning thrashers, trashers and crashers.

I did 9 road miles last night, had a tough time finishing for some reason, calves

were killin me. Massaged those bastards last night and it seemed to help. I plan

to take it easy today, just a quick 5 to get my fix.

Lace: What does an ultra runner where to meetings and presentations, Brooks

or Asics.

Couch: hope the back issue isn't serious.

jame: I'm curious about the exercise your PT is having you do for your ankle, are

they easy to explain? The only thing I do for ankles is balancing during Jeopardy.

sug: what does your screen name mean? Enjoy that bendy yoga stuff.

NH: well, is it rest or weights? Are you one of those guys that can't sit still for too long, I

know the type.

MM: I remember your last major layoff you were mt biking somewhat consistently, are you on

complete rest for the groin? Are you goin a little nutty?

steph: enjoy that trail.

QOTD: No regrets so far, but I practice risk assessment/management when registering for races. 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

going to take the day off- got a lot of running and x-country skiing in the last week (makes for a nice no-guilt Thanksgiving vacation feeding frenzy! Smile)

qotd- never made a decision to enter race while inebriated, but often thought I surely must have been half way into a race Big grin 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

sugnim

sug: what does your screen name mean? Enjoy that bendy yoga stuff.

It's Mingus spelled backward.  I've used it as a screen name since I was 18 because the first forum I signed up for (probably AOL, sheesh!)  would not allow me to use Mingus as it thought that was too close to my 1st name.  I've kind of just stuck with it all these years.

AT-runner

Tim

Morning Trashers.

9 on the hilly road for me today.  I've done 16 miles on the road this week and I think it's been a year since I've done that.  Can't wit until Sunday when I can get back in the woods for a nice long run.  9 more days until the end of deer season.

I'm new to these Hoka's, and I can feel a difference on the down hills.  I have looked over my shoulder a couple of times because it sounds like someone is behind me.

Hope everyone is healing well from your ailments.  It sounds like a clinic around here today, and injuries are never fun.

QOTD: No never signed up impaired, but did run a very rainy night time trail race while slightly impaired.  Gotta love that German Leiderkranz and the Spaten.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

A few miles tonight. I'll probably get in 12 or so tomorrow afternoon since I get off a little early.

QOTD: No. I have never done that.

LB2

Weegee

Mornin', y'all!  Glad to hear you're all at least semi-ambulatory, or at least more so than I.

I'm continuing a perfect streak of indolence for the week after rolling my ankle halfway through a hilly 20-miler last weekend and hobbling back.  It's one of those ones that isn't quite ugly enough or to get sympathy, but is sore enough to induce a lurch and derail any sort of useful training.  Maybe this weekend…  Maybe.

Boyjame - Always wear Cascadias for presentations.

QOTD: Yup.  And I also started a race sober and finished besotted at this year's Bridle Trails Beer 50K.  Six laps, seven pints of IPA, finishing third drunk in tale-of-the-tape finish.  Not bright, but kind of entertaining for those watching.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

jame: I'm curious about the exercise your PT is having you do for your ankle, are

they easy to explain? The only thing I do for ankles is balancing during Jeopardy.

Jon,

I can try to explain:

I start with a stretch on an inclined board that would normally stretch the calf muscles - I stand on a towel with my big toes hanging off - this isolates the tendon on the inside of the foot and leg - hold stretch for 30 seconds repeat 4x. (I do this one at home daily x2)

1.) Stand flat footed and raise the big toe - hold for 5 seconds, repeat x30

2.) Squats on a half balance ball (I am going to look into getting one of these or something similar like a balance board)

3.) Stand on one foot on a foam pad, bend knee and touch other foot to the front, at a 45 deg angleto the side and then again directly to the side - x10 on both legs 3 sets

4.) Squats on a 45 degree squat machine with minimal weight - maintaining knees out and heels need to stay flat as toes are on a towel

5.) Balance on one foot on foam pad, throw weighted ball against trampoline that returns the ball x30 each foot

6.) Balance on one foot on blance board catching and throwing baskateball to the other person x10 each foot 2 sets

7.) Some elastic band exercises - more difficult to explain but essentially working the weaker sides of the ankle to strengthen

Sounds like a lot but 30 minutes will do.  Some of that can be simulated at home but other stuff needs equipment that they have.  I hope to continue some of it at home as it's all good stabilizer stuff - core and ankles. 

Hope that helps. 

My favorite day of the week is RUNday