Trailer Trash

2014! What's up? (Read 70 times)

jmctav23

2/3rds training

That reminds me, I was thinking of flying back to PA to do a race near home so the fam could come out and watch.  Any suggestions?  The blue marsh 50k RR made that course sound pretty easy but fun.  Plus I'd like to see what a year of solid running at 7k plus altitude will do for me in a race much closer to sea level.

I love this one.

Occasional Runner

That reminds me, I was thinking of flying back to PA to do a race near home so the fam could come out and watch.  Any suggestions?  The blue marsh 50k RR made that course sound pretty easy but fun.  Plus I'd like to see what a year of solid running at 7k plus altitude will do for me in a race much closer to sea level.

You'll be amazed by the difference in your performance. Ever since I moved into the Wasatch, running back in PA has been a lot more fun.

Blues Cruise 50k is a pretty fast course. The HAT 50k, but I think that's a lottery now. The NJ Trail Series has some pretty cool stuff. If you want more of a challenge, the Catoctin 50k in MD is a bit harder. An easy 50 miler would be the Dirty German in Philly (you would be seriously fast on this course). And of course, the trail marathon I originally commented on. That race is pretty speedy and you would probably fall into the top 5 there.

I love this one.

My favorite race of 2013! Thought about Hyner instead for 2014 but that goes against my "taking it easy" approach for the Spring.

XtremeTaper

My 2014 schedule so far:

In dog beers, I've only had one.

XtremeTaper

Inspired by the QOTD.

I like to see the different events that people put on their race schedule, and every now and then, I find a cool new race to participate in.

Share your plans here, or steal some race ideas from others. Personally, I'm trying to backfill some empty weekends with short trail races and hope to get some ideas from this thread.

My 2014 Race Schedule...

January, 25- Coldwater Rumble 100 miler, AZ.

February, 15- Moab Red Hot 55k, UT.

March, 21- Antelope Island Buffalo Run 100, UT.

April, 4- Zion 100, UT.

April, 21- Boston Marathon, MA.

May, 10- Ice Age Trail 50M, WI.

June, 1- Comrades Marathon, South Africa

June, 14- Bryce 100, UT.

June, 28- Western States 100????, CA. (3 entries this year)

July, 11- Hardrock 100????, CO. (2 entries)

July, 13- Leadville 50, CO (assuming I don't run Hardrock)

August, ?- Speedgoat 50k, UT.

August, 9- El Vaquero Loco 50k, WY.

August, 16- Leadville 100, CO.

August, 31- Labor Pains 12 Hr, PA.

September, 5- Wasatch 100??? (doubtful to be drawn)

September, 6- Superior Sawtooth 100 (If I don't get into Wasatch)

September, 14- MAS 50, UT.

September, 26- Bear 100, UT/ID

October, 12- Canyon de Chelley 50k, NM.

October, 18- Flagstaff to Grand Canyon 100, AZ

October, 26- Javalina Jundred, 100M, AZ

Lace, where did you run your BQ? Did I miss it? If you got comp'd from Hammer please post in RW Boston forum please. I want to follow that thread! LOL.

Watoni

You can definitely join me at the Bear, but my WS100 pacing spot has been filled for 2 years by my Bearded Brother. He would disown me if I went with somebody else.

Just offering ... I would not get between you and the bearded one

Occasional Runner

Lace, where did you run your BQ? Did I miss it? If you got comp'd from Hammer please post in RW Boston forum please. I want to follow that thread! LOL.

I ran my way into Boston, but that would make for a funny thread in that "other" forum. I BQ'd at the Provo City Marathon this spring.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Only one race is established, and that is the Eastern States 100 in August.

I'm still considering Hyner 50k, Rothrock 30k, Tussey Mountainback 50, and Oil Creek 100, but something in me is reluctant to run the same races over and over again.

Yesterday, I was playing with the idea of running a 12hr- or 24hr-race. That would be something new for me.

And I still have to select a Hardrock qualifier. Can anyone tell me which one(s) would be closest to the Central PA area?

Run for fun.

Occasional Runner

And I still have to select a Hardrock qualifier. Can anyone tell me which one(s) would be closest to the Central PA area?

Grindstone or Massanutten. Both are in Virginia.

ElfRunner25

Wannabe Ultrarunner

I ran the Bridger Ridge Run a couple years ago in MT--it's beautiful and fun 'cause it's short. It's also pretty crowded at the beginning, though, and I would want to be in the first wave if I was going to run it again. I was in the third wave and lost patience with the initial 2 mile hike up in a never-ending line of people.

Race schedule: a 50k. Sometime. This year. Maybe a 5k too. Maybe races in between as well. 

Occasional Runner

I ran the Bridger Ridge Run a couple years ago in MT--it's beautiful and fun 'cause it's short. It's also pretty crowded at the beginning, though, and I would want to be in the first wave if I was going to run it again. I was in the third wave and lost patience with the initial 2 mile hike up in a never-ending line of people.

Thanks. I'll check it out! I'm also looking into the Rut Run. That race looks like a lot of fun and I can get comped at that race.

XtremeTaper

I ran my way into Boston, but that would make for a funny thread in that "other" forum. I BQ'd at the Provo City Marathon this spring.

Congrats.. must have missed that one. Boston is pretty fun for a road race. Awesome crowd support in the little town centers along the way, the screaming girls of Wellesly and the rowdies at Boston College. You should have a good time commiserating with the road runners about the difficulty of Heartbreak Hill.

Occasional Runner

Congrats.. must have missed that one. Boston is pretty fun for a road race. Awesome crowd support in the little town centers along the way, the screaming girls of Wellesly and the rowdies at Boston College. You should have a good time commiserating with the road runners about the difficulty of Heartbreak Hill.

I wasn't going to run it but everything kept falling into place. When I was working an aid station at Wasatch, I met a runner that lives in Boston and he insisted that I register and invited us to stay in his "Estate" (his words). He hires a party bus to take us to the start and pick us up afterward and then we go bar hopping for the rest of the day while being driven around in the bus. Sounded too cool to pass up.

XtremeTaper

I wasn't going to run it but everything kept falling into place. When I was working an aid station at Wasatch, I met a runner that lives in Boston and he insisted that I register and invited us to stay in his "Estate" (his words). He hires a party bus to take us to the start and pick us up afterward and then we go bar hopping for the rest of the day while being driven around in the bus. Sounded too cool to pass up.

The bus should make it way more fun. My last time there we went with the Delaware track club bus. Some old timer who has ran like 40 or 50 straight Bostons arranged the whole deal. The bus parked right at the corrals at the start, and were in town at the finish with a cooler of ice cold beer.

Occasional Runner

The bus should make it way more fun. My last time there we went with the Delaware track club bus. Some old timer who has ran like 40 or 50 straight Bostons arranged the whole deal. The bus parked right at the corrals at the start, and were in town at the finish with a cooler of ice cold beer.

That sounds exactly like what was explained to me. Sure takes a lot of the stress out of logistics.