Trailer Trash

S@#! Mondailies (Read 20 times)

dhuffman63

Trails

What a fantastic day already....tripped coming out of the garage into the kitchen, barely missed banging my head on the counter but not my knees hurt and so does my left hip area.  Then cause it was so cold in the house and it's always cold at work I put a light sweater on...went outside and OH MY the humidity was horrid cause it had rained...73 and 70 dew point.  Have a nice headache too.  Not having a fun day at all.

Did get a whole 30 min in on Sun.  Sat I had to get my oil changed and grocery shopping and since I've not been sleeping well I just spent the rest of the day vegging out.

Marie, that sounds like a mostly fun vacation.  Never camped in a yurt.  Sorry about the friends boys...typical 11 year old boy though...lol.  The apartment situation sound horrid, hope it's resolved soon.

qotd, from the weekend: haven't had any major issues.

qotd:  Motivation...how do you keep it up?  I could have worked out Sat but just couldn't get out of my chair.  Sun I made the effort to put "running" clothes on and that helped a bit.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Tiny Elvis and I got 4 miles on the trails yesterday; we’re big time heat wusses as it was only upper 70’s and it felt hot! Smile

strength train at the gym after work

Friday we’re taking another run at the Chinese Wall; last year we got about 2/3 of the way in only to be turned around by fire.

Speaking of fire, the little 13 acre fire north of town is now 3000+ acres, with 0% containment. Personally I think a case of not getting on it hard enough at the very beginning. In a bad fire season, resources can be scarce and they have to prioritize; there wasn’t a single fire in the entire state, so the resources were available Sad

qotd: running/hiking/lifting has been such a normality for me, that not doing it is tougher on me, than doing it

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Sandy-2

SRD.

Sorry dhuff, reminds me of that disturbing old song about not liking Mondays.

qotd: I just roll with the lack of motivation, I just figure that sometimes it's just my body and mind telling me I need to cutback and rest.  Especially with the endurance stuff we do we need to listen to our bodies when it gets worn down. It's especially true when I'm nursing an injury. I find that after a bit, I start itching to get out and moving again and the motivation just comes back on its own.

tbd.

dhuffman63

Trails

Thanks Sandy...my mind wants to but my body says..whoa, watch your back.

MT, we get winds here and the dry air can cause fires...most of them are pasture so if the hay burns up it causes lots of issues with the cattle come winter.  I lived in FL during some of the worst fires there and had one in the wooded area somewhat close so I'm paranoid about fire.  Hope they contain it before it really gets out of control.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

SRD for me today.  I'm tired from the weekend.  And obviously, I am not dead from climbing outside yesterday!  Woo hoo!

It was super fun climbing outside.  It was a beautiful day and everyone was very nice.  I learned a lot too.  I had no problem with the 5.6s that we climbed.  Some tricky parts, but I always found a way up.  I figured my first time outside was not the time to push the grades, so I stuck with climbing things that were achievable.  Well, except when we all went off route on this one climb and wound up on a 5.10 crack climb.  I couldn't figure that one out.  You're up there 100 feet off the ground, hanging onto this small ledge with your hands, one foot jammed on the wall and there's this crack at eye level and everything else around you is just smooth and you're like, where the fuck do I go from here?  I know the super basics of crack climbing, but that's about it.  Can't practice it in the gym.  Once I got down, someone finally looked at the guidebook and oh hey, yeah, that totally wasn't a 5.6.  Whoops.

And now I need to tell myself, I do not need another expensive outdoor hobby, I do not need another expensive outdoor hobby...  Really though, I should pick up a helmet because they're reasonably cheap.  And then just bum off people from the gym/meet up groups to climb outside.  If you can belay, people are happy to take you along.

Here is a photo of me not dying.  Hard to get good shots when people are up higher, because they're all just butt shots from the ground.

QOTD: What Warden said.  Perpetual injuries are great for motivation.  I want to do everything, but I can't.

Running is dumb.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Got out for a little run yesterday to finish off a really good week for me.  Legs were feeling it but the movement was good for me.  Today though - my body is begging for rest so I will listen.

Mandy - that looks awesome! thanks for sharing.  I bet that was exhilarating and I could see that as addictive.

dhuff - sorry for the bad start of the day.  I have had plenty of those.

I just learned that a semi local trail runner/hiker died over the weekend.  James (Jim) Cramer in case any PA folks know of him.  He had reportedly gone missing although his family and friends knew he had taken to the Appalachian Trail.  H was battling depression.  Sadly he was found over the weekend not far off the trail.  My assumption is that he took his own life.  So sad.  This stuff breaks my heart.  I did not know him (I knew the name) but it still really gets to me.

QOTD: I had had several struggles with motivation.  Many of them came during injuries (some several months long).  Patience, a new perspective, and changing up routines sometimes helped.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

NorthernHarrier

Yesterday I did 14.5 out at the Sylvania wilderness in the U.P. It's about a half hour from my cabin. Beautiful running in there but yesterday the mosquitoes in there were the stuff from horror movies or Naked and Afraid on the worst episode. Yet here at my place they aren't really too bad anymore. I wanted to do more but I just had to bail out as I couldn't take it anymore.

Did close to 2 hours this morning mountain biking. No running today but some mile intervals on the docket for tomorrow morning.

QOTD--FIFY  

qotd: running/hiking/lifting/biking/skiing/snowshoeing/canoeing/ etc. has been such a normality for me, that not doing it is tougher on me, than doing it

I know based on what you have posted before that you really don't have much in the way of good trails nearby. I do think having a variety of routes, topography, and even some good roads helps. I'm never bored with all the variety I have. Maybe some weekend getaways to cool areas just to run unique trails and explore.

Mandy--cool pic. Yeah though, it does look a tad weird w/o a helmet.  So now when I post about doing repeats up the bluffs at Devils lake everyone can visualize. 

AT-runner

Tim

Ran a trail yesterday where they had some recent logging. WTF no shade for a while as trail was decimated. Can't they leave a few trees!  It's part of the Ironmasters course, so that section will suck next year.

SRD today.  Now with World Cup and leTour de France done I'll have to wait until Little League World Series to get my sports fix.

Started the "Typewriter" on NF's  last night. Pretty good so far.  It's a Indian Ghost series.

Mandy - when I saw that awesome photo, I was like where's her helmet, then read you post. Go buy one.  I wish I had my old shoulder back so I could climb again.

Bert - Good luck tomorrow with your start to treatment.

QOTD:  I just stick to a habit and it falls into place when motivation is low.  New sights, new trails, running buddy, h]they all help.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

AT-runner

Tim

I just learned that a semi local trail runner/hiker died over the weekend.  James (Jim) Cramer in case any PA folks know of him.  He had reportedly gone missing although his family and friends knew he had taken to the Appalachian Trail.  H was battling depression.  Sadly he was found over the weekend not far off the trail.  My assumption is that he took his own life.  So sad.  This stuff breaks my heart.  I did not know him (I knew the name) but it still really gets to me.

Very sad. I knew him from races, and he was in my AG.  He did a lot of PCS races including Labor Pains.  XT probably knew or wold have at least recognized him.  He was good friends with Leon Lutz (Kelly A's old pacer and buddy).  Looks like he gave off some warning signs of his depression and they were keeping an eye on him and he slipped out of the house.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I found an article (https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Missing-Pennsylvania-Man-Found-Dead-Appalachian-Trail--513317161.html?_osource=SocialFlowFB_PHBrand&fbclid=IwAR095NEmO7_IEoAKsCpX9lDW0-RM75ChV3umVHck7SBdJkAf-Vh01Fo6Aok)  that talks about where they found him - Berks Co.  I know the coroners there.  They won't rule it a suicide unless obvious.  But unsure how it won't be obvious.

I saw Leon's post on IG. I feel for him.

Very sad. I knew him from races, and he was in my AG.  He did a lot of PCS races including Labor Pains.  XT probably knew or wold have at least recognized him.  He was good friends with Leon Lutz (Kelly A's old pacer and buddy).  Looks like he gave off some warning signs of his depression and they were keeping an eye on him and he slipped out of the house.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

NH- nice fix Smile

qotd:  .how do you keep it up?  

I guess I misread the question the first go round; where’s Queen  

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Planning on a few miles in the evening. Still working on the disaster cleanup. I went to the landlords' offices today, and they were quite surprised to learn that nobody had cared to get a shopvac in, and a dehumidifier. I guess the weekend had come in between, but still. So I explained the situation, with the sagging ceiling, the still wet carpets, mold above the ceiling drywall, etc., and they are now horrified. Maybe we can now move into our neighbors' old townhouse, they moved out a month or two ago, and the unit is ready to move in. (Downside is, if we do that, the floor plan is mirror-imaged to ours, guess it will be a lot of fun in the first few weeks trying to find rooms and things   )

So while I was at the landlords', my DD called and asked if I had thrown out a dried-up pot plant that had been at our front door. I had actually thrown that plant out on Friday when we came home from the vacation, assuming DD had forgotten to water it and planning on replacing it with a new one. Turned out, she had hidden a door key with the mailbox key attached to it in the flower pot. Bummer.

Luckily, the garbage truck had not been around since, so after 10 minutes of gross dumpster diving (don't ask what smell develops in a dumpster in the summer heat   ), I found the plant, and the keys. Seems to be my lucky day today, yay!

dhuff: Sorry to hear about your bad start into the day. Can only get better from here, though!

Mandy: Get-a-helmet!! Awesome climbing, though!

Jamie: Sad about Jim, and I feel bad for Leon, too.

Does not compare, but I learned that in Austria, during a trail running event on a mountain, a runner tripped and fell over a cliff 150 ft to his death. Scary.

QOTD: I try to force myself when motivation is low, but sometimes I also go with the flow. Sometimes a break helps. Since I don't take it so seriously any more with "training" and being "in shape", and I now allow myself to put other things before trail running (  am I getting banned now?), it has become a lot easier to enjoy and stay motivated.

Run for fun.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I will go buy a helmet - I promise!  I'm all about protection.  (Sticking with the QOTD topic.  )

Running is dumb.

runtraildc

Afternoon folks. well, I was a bit disillusioned about my bronchitis recovery. It's dug it's heels in and I am thinking that running is pretty much out for this week, or at least a few more days. Ugh, I'm hacking like a lifetime smoker in her 80s (my grandma). So, we'll see. If I was really motivated, I'd go to the gym and do some strength training. Or work on some house projects that we have going. Maybe I'll just walk the pup when it cools off a little.

FYTC- I'm glad you're getting some response from your landlords! I'd be very concerned about mold at this point so I hope it works that you'll move into a new unit, even temporarily.

qotd: Pretty much what Marie said.

AT-runner

Tim

So while I was at the landlords', my DD called and asked if I had thrown out a dried-up pot plant that had been at our front door. I had actually thrown that plant out on Friday when we came home from the vacation, assuming DD had forgotten to water it and planning on replacing it with a new one. Turned out, she had hidden a door key with the mailbox key attached to it in the flower pot. Bummer.

A potted plant, or a plant of pot?  DS used to have dried-up pot plants in his place in Oregon.