Trailer Trash

What's Up Wednesday!?! (Read 19 times)

LB2

Nice and easy 4 miles this morning. It was just a really good run. Maybe that is because I changed the batteries in my light and could see much better.

QOTD: Have you accomplished anything recently (running or not) that made you just smile with satisfaction?

A few weeks back, Bert-o, mentioned that he had a new lawn tractor, a Cub Cadet. I mentioned that if he ever needed any advice dealing with belts and pulleys to let me know because I have become an expert with the belt and pulley system of the Cub Cadet. I was half joking. I'll be damned if it wasn't a week or so ago that the drive belt of the mower came off, the day before my vacation for hunting. Not only did the belt come off, it burned through the cooling fan on top the transmission. I happened to have an extra drive belt, and after a great deal of trouble, I got the new belt installed. I still had to wait on the fan to come in, but I got it on yesterday. I cranked it up and tried to go forward. Nothing. After 10 deep breaths and 4 MF'ers!!!, I got back under the thing and tried to summon my spatial skills to figure out what was wrong. I knew the belt was correct, although I doubted myself for a bit. Then, I saw it as plain as day. I pushed in the clutch (or whatever they call it), and I was able to put the belt on correctly. I cranked it back up and she was good to go. I like when something so simple can give me such great joy.

Bert-O: If that drive belt ever comes off, you may actually want to touch base. It is a real pain in the butt. We had unbolt the motor from the mower to get the belt to connect to the motor.

LB2

dhuffman63

Trails

I did 2 yesterday on the indoor track at the gym and then 4 on the TM at home.  Today I'm meeting with the personal trainer up at the gym at 6.  I'm hoping he's more organized than DH was...lol.

qotd: Oh yes...I ran yesterday on the track...not much and certainly not fast.  Last weeks on the gym TM had me grinning like a loon.

I'm hoping personal things will slow down and I can get out onto the road at home on Sunday since weather is looking nice.  Sat we are going with DD and family to the ren faire in Muskogee.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

LB2 - Thanks for the offer!  So far, I've only been able to take the Cub Cadet out for joy rides, since it's been way too wet to mow.  At least the grass hasn't started growing (yet), but it will soon.  Glad to hear you got it taken care of!

QOTD:  Not a big or complex task, but I recently bought an diagnostic scanner for my car.  When the check engine light comes on, I can scan the codes myself to see what's wrong.  I can also clear the codes, if something minor, so the CEL will turn off.  Since I also change my own oil and filters, I can reset the service indicator too.  The scanner isn't that expensive ($230), so well worth not having the hassle to get it to a dealer or garage.

Looks like there's some nice trips in beautiful areas lately.  Keep em up.  Really enjoy the pics!

No running for me since Friday.  My training for Big Sur is going perfectly!  However, this is what I looked like waking up this morning.  I'm guessing (A) I tripped and fell face first into a rattlesnake den (who didn't rattle to warn me), or (B) it was Annie Wilkes from the movie Misery after a harrowing and narrow escape....

Warden smile

The eye and mouth problems last week got so bad that I had to go to the ER on Sunday and I've been in the hospital since.  I think at least 8 different doctors have seen me, a dozen or so residents, the Infectious Disease Team (probably worried I'd turn into a zombie), and as of now they still don't know what I really have.  Not just the eye and mouth (can't eat, drink, or talk now), but there's rashes over about 80% of my body.  At least as of last night they started pumping steroids, anti-virals, and antibiotics into me.  I was complaining that they weren't doing anything to fix the problem.... well, I was complaining in my head, because I couldn't speak.

I think I might need to lower my goal for Big Sur on Sunday.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

XtremeTaper

I ran at lunch yesterday on the local trail. 6 miles, brisk tempo-like run. I ran into a threesome of ladies out for a walk. Since I was doing multiple loops in the arboretum they got to admire my form several times, or was it the other way around? Broke 50 minutes for this route which is terrific for me given my lack of any real training these days. Felt good.

I think I will run up at the local trail again at lunch, but take the Lady along and wander out to the goofy short stretch of single track down by the ponds and Sprogel's run.

QOTD: Hmmm. Yes, a few weeks back I saved about $1500 or more on my taxes by doing a little investigation and accounting on some stock sales that fell under QSB classification. Hopefully that does not raise an audit flag, but I have the numbers all accounted for properly I believe. Also that same weekend I filled up my mower with gas, went to do some other chores, came back to start the thing for the first time of the season and all the gas had been sucked out through the carburetor and air filter. I am not a big handyman, but dr. google indicated a carb cleaning or new carb and so I ordered a $10 part and saved probably $100 service repair. It was an easy fix.

Berto - Oh my gosh. It sounds horrible. Have you had measles before? I guess they would have diagnosed that quickly. I just recall hearing about all the cases in NY. I pray this is nothing serious.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

runtraildc

No run yesterday. Catching up mostly with coming back from vacation, and also being really tired from getting home at 2 am. Today's plan is for 4-5 along the paved creek trail with a friend. It might be on the warmer side (high 70s).

Bert-- WTH? I'm sorry to hear that you're in the hospital. I hope some answers come quickly.

qotd I'm sure there's something, but it can't come to mind.  I had a conversation with DS on the trail the other day, in which he was pointing out birds in the trees. I never thought we would be discussing birds, but it was pretty cool. ( I like birds. a lot). So my kiddo's growing appreciation of the outdoors, maybe I had some part of that? Yes, I think so.

dhuffman63

Trails

Oh my Bert that looks painful.  I've had several bad medicine reactions but yours is definitely worse.  I hope you feel better soon and they can pin it down.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Another beautiful day on tap and I again am stuck inside.  It's days like this I wish I had an outdoors job.  But then I would be complaining about the crappy weather days.

Bert - good tolerance training for Big Sur I guess?!?!

QOTD: I just completed teaching my 5th class this year (since Jan.).  And that's my p/t job! I am well on my way to paying off a large student loan (in 4 yrs hopefully).

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Bert hope they put a quick end to whatever you have, doesn’t look fun

a nice 4 miles on the trails with Tiny Elvis yesterday; pretty Spring day- low 60’s and overcast with an occasional light drizzle

forecast for the weekend and beyond is calling for snow! 

going to try and get some miles with Tiny E after work

qotd: made a pretty nice titanium windscreen for my Esbit stove- definitely made it more efficient Smile

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

LB2

Bert-o:

I hope they can get something figured out soon. Take care.

LB2

Holy cow Bert-o, hope you get some relief soon.  That’s some extreme tapering (with all due respect to to XT of course).

Going out for 5-6 miles shortly. Sun is shining and temps are warm, I think we’re done with rain for a while.  Easy runs this week since I’m doing a trail HM on Sat in MI and road marathon on Sun in Toledo.

QOTD: got a small (minuscule, really) bonus at work recently, which I consider a major accomplishment since I work for the fed govt and we usually get nothing.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Damn, Berto.  I hope they figure out what's going on ASAP.  You must be miserable.  Hope you're hanging in there okay!!

Running is dumb.

Daydreamer1

Watched a good hockey game last night.  I really need to find something to do to relax.  Going to hockey games ain't one of them.  I'm too competitive .  Bears won 2-1.

Bert-o -  You need to get out of bed, walk out to the hallway and scream " I HAVE STEVENS-JOHNSON SYNDROME".

Seriously, I hope they thought about that but it's possible they didn't.  If this is from a medication that is a very good possibility.

QOTD:  In the past there have been quite a few things. Vehicle repairs, house projects,  good financial decisions, making DW happy.   Lately though life has been kind of a drag with everything and anything going wrong, or at least pulling me down.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Wee bit over 7 this morning.  Felt good.

QOTD:  Well last week we ran 5 miles under 50 minutes...that included some hills and dog poop breaks.  Plan to do this every Friday for a while to see if we can get the number lower and lower.

Berto:  WHAT!!! wow that sucks!   Sorry you are dealing with this...hoping they solve the problem soon cause it ain't safe in a hospital!!

XT:  I am sure the ladies appreciated your form.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

NorthernHarrier

Um, Bert-o, you're in the hospital right now and you have to be in Monterey/Carmel to run a little race on Sunday?? Crap, if you pull this off you'll be the new XtremeTaper. (apologies to the original)  Get well.

Did a little jog/walk thing in the Arb for 4.5 miles. Calf was I guess ok but I could feel it didn't want to be out there. Don't think I made it worse so back to some stretching, roller, CBD cream, Naproxen and a lot of whining.  Got a trailer load of lumber, hardware, and supplies for some projects ahead of me at the shack. Leaving right after a short road bike. I still hold out hope for my 20k on Sunday but if my calf ain't right, screw it.

QOTD--Well I'm building or fixing things constantly. Enjoy it and I'm not too bad at it. That being said, in the movie the Edge, Anthony Hopkins character laments the fact that he has never done anything unequivocal. I have not either. 

AT-runner

Tim

No run today. Went and hit a bucket of golf balls over lunch break. Golf trip next week.

Bert - with the meds you were on, might take a bit to resolve. Hopefully you aren't dropping too much weight. I joked to you about the selfie, but wasn't ready to see it before lunch.   Hopefully they get your meds straight, and in the long run, being sober and happy will be worth this bump in the road (or face, or mouth).

Actually Bert is improving. this was the picture he texted me on Monday.

QOTD: Had a great run last week on a new (to me) trail that had me smiling.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway!