Trailer Trash

March on Monday (Read 20 times)

XtremeTaper

Winter sucks. Weather... 3 out of the last 4 mornings I've started my day shoveling 3-4" of snow. At least it hasn't been a foot or more. Now another polar vortex is coming. Joy of joys. I know others have it worse and I shouldn't complain but I will anyway. Picture from the deck this morning of "beautiful" white shit that fell from the sky yesterday evening into the overnight.

No workout yet today. I will do gym stuff later, perhaps a short road run.

I slogged about 4-5 yesterday with the Lady out at the lake through the snow. We had a mix of mud slush snow, untouched snow, and packed slush/ice snow. My cranky knees felt mildly ok yesterday, but my left foot/ankle decided to join the pain party. Not sure what that was... felt like something in a lower tendon tightened up and then my ankle hurt and made me sort of limp. Nearly turned around and hiked back after 3/4 mile but stretched it out, walked for a few minutes and was able to resume my slogging.

QOTD: Had any good new beers or libations recently?

Hit Wegmans yesterday to look for some new beers, they always have a nice variety and a lot of local PA stuff. Picked up a Belgian Golden Ale called Sanctified from a local brewery, Round Guys brewing. It was really good and 2 full pints packed a punch. Odd, the label did not mention ABV%. I think it may have been up there.

AT - Congrats to you and the missus on the Naked Bavarian. That second dose of snow Friday night into Saturday morning must have made it fun. Friend of mine from the Dawgs ran the 20 miler as well.

Armadillos. I've ran with them before in Oklahoma and Florida. The Lady chased them a few times on the trails at Lake McMurty. It was pretty funny, though I did not want her to catch one. The DWD run in the green swamp in Florida had a section called Armadillo Brillo. Sort of a dry open savanna like area. They were out there scittering about but I have not seem them often in Florida.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I’m with you XT, I love winter as much as anyone, but enough is enough; woke up to -23 this morning 

gym after work- strength train I think, will play it by ear

qotd: probably my favorite brewery, Drought Works (Missoula) had a Mexican Chocolate Ale- Last Rites, must have been seasonal as I can’t find it anymore. Their IPA Scepter is my go to.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Good Morning,

Coming out of lurking (again).

Winter weather here, too (not surprising, it's central PA), and only getting worse as the week rolls on. Bad news for a summer-loving person like me. 

Here's a picture from yesterday's evening run/walk:

Yes, on the road. 

Temperature is in the lower 20's, so not really bad, but it should go down into the single digits the next few days again. I think I might develop winterphobia soon.

I found a great ultra run that I might keep on my radar. It is a 460-mile run in Germany, called the Goldsteig Ultra. Sounds like a fun run, terrain similar to what I am used to, and not too difficult in terms of elevation. Maybe for 2020. The entry fee is really low (less than $1/mile), but there are other costs involved (purchasing their own drop bags, bag transportation, etc.), and it's a logistic challenge as well, as it is a point-to-point race with only 4 aid stations along the way. Time limit is 192 hours, if anyone is interested. They do accept applications (acceptance at the RD's discretion) from US runners, as I've been told by the RD, even though USA is not on their mailing list for documents. I might make this my long term motivational run.

QOTD: No. My workplace is right next to the huge beer section in a store, but I never have the time to really look through it, let alone find the gluten free ooptions. I'll stick with Captain Morgan for now.

Enjoy the day, runners!

Run for fun.

dhuffman63

Trails

qotd: I like Dragons Milk...it's out of the Detroit area but there's a shop in Joplin I can get it at. New Holland is the brewer...it's aged in bourbon barrels and puts me out.  High alcohol content and given my german nature I tend to drink it room temperature.

That Belgian Golden Ale sounds good.  I'll check next time I go to Joplin.

We had about 1/2 inch snow Sunday morning...most is gone already, it was enough to be annoying, not enough to be exciting.  I'm so tired of winter but at least today we have sun even if it's cold as hell.

AT I looked at the Naked races but it's kind of far to travel this year and I already have a Mar race.  I've found that for 50k I need several weeks in between in order to recover.  I don't get sore or anything but my RHR stays in the 80's instead of the 60's.

Sandy-2

SRD today.  Hoping for a break in the rain this week so the trail dries out and more importantly the rivers/streams/bayous go down a little for my DD and my tail adventure this weekend. It's going to be a muddy mess.

XT - that is a really nice photo, even if you're sick of the white stuff, it looks nice from here. Funny about you going to the gym, would have thought the shoveling would have sufficed, ya know, cross training.  Hope the cranky parts settle down soon.

mt - man it's still f-ing cold up there. (See above re: shoveling cross training.)

FTYC !!!!!!!  -  Yay nice to hear from you!!!!  Hope all is going well.  Sorry I can't see your photos.  That German ultra sounds nice... maybe after I retire (who knows whenever that will happen). Looks like I'll be up that way in early May to visit the SIL and fam.

dhuff - yup it a bit chilly here too (embarrassed to say though compared to what mt has to deal with.)  Looks like I'll be doing that Possums Revenge 69 miler afterall.  Maybe I'll see ya there.

qotd: I had a nice double IPA with Bert-o in downtown Manhattan a little while back.  It was in a place called the Malt House on Maiden Ln.  I don't remember the name of the actual IPA I had though.

tbd.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

AT I looked at the Naked races but it's kind of far to travel this year and I already have a Mar race.  I've found that for 50k I need several weeks in between in order to recover.  I don't get sore or anything but my RHR stays in the 80's instead of the 60's.

The Naked races can be tough with mud as well as hills and they run long as well.  When I ran Naked Nick back in December it took me 4:37 for the 25K which was actually closer to 17 miles and somewhere between 1800 and 2200 ft of gain by some estimates.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

FTYC- welcome back Smile

60+ miles a day for 8 days sounds grueling- love it!

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Hi All! I am feeling good.  Still restricted.

AT: Sounds like a much better result than BC!!!! Good job! I was wondering what the conditions would be like for you.

FTYC - Hi stranger! Who in their right mind would run a 460 mile race?!?!?!?  Speaking of which, my latest thing has been to follow a bunch of runners on IG.  I just started following Candice (?last name) who just ran a 212 mile ran in Australia.  That's some crazy stuff right there.

QOTD: N/A

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

dhuffman63

Trails

Sandy that would be great.  I'm doing it with a friend who lives in San Antonio and we're staying at the Hideaway.  It's a 6 hour drive for me so it'll be a long one.  I've been trying to stay within 3 hours or so as long drives kill my back. I'm a little tiny thing so might get lost in the crowd but I tend to start as far back as possible to stay out of peoples way.  Have you done this one before?

AT-runner

Tim

SRD toda, but might walk a bit or do bike trainer.

Marie - YAY!!! Missed you.

Here are some shots from Naked bavarian that I lifted off of FB Page.

Conga line made it hard to pass - DW is wearing the teal Nathan Pack.

Good view of path that was made in snow. This is after a nice climb.

One of several views of Blue Marsh Lake

Starting to get muddy on this out and back section. Saw a few falls here as trail slopes at an angle.

Shoe sucking mud in sections. DW (/1 way up hill with her teal pack), picking her way through the slop.

QOTD:  Our local brewery, "Thirsty Farmer" has a nice Vienna lager that he's having a hard time keeping up with the demand. Just enough hops to keep even the IPA lovers happy.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Queen of Nothing

Sue

A quick 6 this morning...just a minute over an hour...fast for us.  Earl was on a mission.

QOTD:  Nope..

XT:  It's beautiful!

AT:  Nice pictures.  Love the snow with the brightly colored people.  Can't believe that girls is in shorts, a t-shirt and not gloves.  Us California people would be bundled up! 

Marie:  Hi...welcome back.  Glad you are still running.

Sandy:  Sweet you are going to get that cool belt buckle!!!

Jamie:  Hi...

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

moonlightrunner

No run today. Icing and set my desk up so I could stand and move around. It seems better today...as long as I keep moving. Gives me hope.

XT: l am also fed up with winter. Wind hills below 0. Snow. Damn...I promise not to complain about the heat later on...assuming it ever warms up.

Warden: damn...that is cold. Better put a sweater on Tiny E.

FTYC: good to see you! Nice pics...even if it is winter. That race sounds fun...a long damn way! So glad you are still running...hope you stay out of lurk mode!

Dhuff: nice you have some sun...we have not seen blue sky here for a while.

XT: hope things dry out for you. Mud is fun...bit gets old after a while...as I recall 

DrJamie: glad you are feeling well on your road to recovery!

AT:...congrats and nice pics...but...no naked people? WTF?

Queen: I remember running with a dog...I miss that! You and Earl are lucky to have each other.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k