Trailer Trash

Sunless Sundailies (Read 35 times)

Low_O2

Thanks for the input so far!

Can I go on a tangent here a sec? One thing I don't like about "dailies" is how interesting topics such as this one get buried in a mish-mash of posts reporting what everyone did on a given day.  By tomorrow this topic of compression will simply disappear and no one will be able to refer to it or add to it. Dailies lead to a lack of sustained discussion and we end up with basically one thread per day.

Down with dailies!

Yeah, I was actually debating if this should be a "QOTD" or main topic. I think it is just easier to post a QOTD for most people. Maybe I will start a new post so more people can see it since the weekend dailies don't get as much traffic usually.

moonlightrunner

I like using them after sports but don't use them during, which is all wrong because you're supposed to use them during exercise, not just after. I believe the research is actually mixed on the topic but generally agree that "it won't hurt anything" to use them.

Can I go on a tangent here a sec? One thing I don't like about "dailies" is how interesting topics such as this one get buried in a mish-mash of posts reporting what everyone did on a given day.  By tomorrow this topic of compression will simply disappear and no one will be able to refer to it or add to it. Dailies lead to a lack of sustained discussion and we end up with basically one thread per day.

Down with dailies!

I love the dailies....it is why I come here every day!  I see pretty good response to threads posted with specific issues.

That being said...

I got up a 0darkthrity for a run with my dog on a trail where there are tooooo many people most of the time.  Thankfully, at that hour it was just me, my pointer dog and a sad little possum longside the trail.  Trouble was that even with a headlamp I have serious depth perceptioin issued in the dark.  I think it is another wonderful fact of life being in my mid fifties.  If I go out tomorrow I will try my other headlamp. If that does not work I guess I will wait until the sky lightens up.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

try two lights, a headlamp and then something lower at roughly waist level- makes a huge difference

I know there are a lot of folks that run w/ a headlamp and a handheld flashlight (I prefer to have my hands free Smile)

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

valerienv

Thread killer ..

We did 11 miles in the high wind . Took a side trip on what seemed like a trail but wasn't and turned into a hike up and down a canyon . My husband likes to pick up antlers and seems to have a knack for when he will see/find some , we found two . We also ran across a mine site that we run and ridden past for years but never knew was there . Going to head back up in better weather with the ATV and see what's up there .

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Down with dailies!

I can see your point. I usually put specific questions in a separate thread and try to find somewhat generic topics for the QOTD, but sometimes a question turns out to initiate a lot of discussion when the one who asked it did not expect it, or sometimes, like today, there is no QOTD over several posts, so a more specific question is appropriate, too.

If you want something that you can look up later again, why not just pull out the question and start a separate thread with it? I am sure nobody will mind, and if anything, you'll get responses from the guys who are missing the weekend dailies as a bonus.

Run for fun.

Uh oh... now what?

Down with dailies!

Instead of "Down with dailies" -- just start a separate thread if you see something you

hope will expand and interests you, and "No, tangents are not allowed.  This is a highly

structured forum. [That might need to be 'highly-structured'.]"  No farragos, gallimaufyies,

hodgepodges, mélanges, odds and ends, or omnium-gatherums shall be condoned.

Occasional Runner

Down with dailies!

Without the daily interaction of the dailies, we would be like the original trail forum on RA and have about one post per week, which nobody ever sees. The QOTD frequently spins off into a full blown post and runs a full life cycle. A lot of inspiration for topics come directly from the dailies. Please feel free to start all the topics you want. Posts only die when the topic has run its course.

Holden McGruyen

If you want something that you can look up later again, why not just pull out the question and start a separate thread with it? I am sure nobody will mind, and if anything, you'll get responses from the guys who are missing the weekend dailies as a bonus.

That only works if a person sees the topic in the first place.  When its hidden 17 posts deep in the dailies then someone searching after that day won't ever see it in the first place. By tomorrow morning no one's coming back to this thread.

I'm Holden McGruyen. Would you like to join me?

Occasional Runner

That only works if a person sees the topic in the first place.  When its hidden 17 posts deep in the dailies then someone searching after that day won't ever see it in the first place. By tomorrow morning no one's coming back to this thread.

You're right. There's no solution to this problem. It's tragic and we should nuke the dailies so we don't have to deal with the irrevocable loss of a topic. Because God knows we don't regurgitate the same shit over and over again, thousands of times.

runtraildc

I'll try to not get lost and have a book written about me. Smile

Couldn't that be a good retirement plan?  As long as you get out to tell your story to sell it?  Enjoy!

Holden McGruyen

You're right. There's no solution to this problem. It's tragic and we should nuke the dailies so we don't have to deal with the irrevocable loss of a topic. Because God knows we don't regurgitate the same shit over and over again, thousands of times.

Now you're just being a drama queen.

Uh oh... now what?

Generally... the QOTD is near the top of the dailies.  In my simple world I often open the dailies, go down the necessary few posts and see what the QOTD is.  I am on the west coast and seldom post on the dailies because I tend to go out late in the day, but the QOTD is often the reason I respond.  That no one is coming back tomorrow is not quite correct.  I often see activity on the dailies the following, usually because a conversation has started.

It is still the same issue.  If you see something interesting, post it as a separate thread.  Running conversations are so fractured when done in person that even well-intended separate threads develop a life of their own and seldom follow any rules for tightness of subject constraints.

Actually, we have a moderator who should be monitoring our daily posting to make sure we follow the guidelines, but she is usually busy herding cats...

Holden McGruyen

Running conversations are so fractured when done in person that even well-intended separate threads develop a life of their own and seldom follow any rules for tightness of subject constraints.

Although there's thread drift in a running conversation, at least you get two-way discourse. The dailies are as fractured and disjointed as it gets because it's several people blurting out something without much back-and-forth like you'd get in a conversation over an actual topic (much like we're doing now). Just the act of me bringing up this topic gave you guys something to discuss other than simply what you did today.

poster 1 : I ran 5 miles today!

poster 2: I ran 10K this morning!

poster 3: I'm resting today.

Okay great. Me too. Nice talking at you.

I see Lace Up's point about lack of forum activity without the dailies, but if there's no "easy out" then maybe people would force themselves to add other topics, no?

Good evening all! I got in 14 miles of hiking on the Appalachian trail today in NJ. The group I was with was slow to start which left us trying to make up time at the technical part at the end. Wow, I think I'm more sore than I was after my 22 mile trail run last weekend! Crazy stuff.

QOTD: I swear by compression socks for recovery. For me, they definitely reduce my soreness after a long run. I like ProCompression, but haven't tried other brands. I have about 4 pairs that I will rotate through. Sometimes I wear them during a run if my calves are particularly sore that day.

Uh oh... now what?

Five hours XT, 2:13 in the wind and rain.

QOTD:  No compression sleeves (legs, arms, or head) have I used.  

Although there's thread drift in a running conversation, at least you get two-way discourse. The dailies are as fractured and disjointed as it gets because it's several people blurting out something without much back-and-forth like you'd get in a conversation over an actual topic (much like we're doing now). Just the act of me bringing up this topic gave you guys something to discuss other than simply what you did today.

I see Lace Up's point about lack of forum activity without the dailies, but if there's no "easy out" then maybe people would force themselves to add other topics, no?

Okay... so if we can get folks (nongender specific term) to post well-thought-out responses instead

of these "blurts" we can have a meaningful exchange?  I don't think that will work.  The geographical

constraints will make it very difficult for some (nothing against Tejas, but... ) while others will have an

advantage (folks north of Eureka and west of -122º longitude.

I suppose we should be grateful to you for bringing up a legitimate, er, actual topic.  The wasteland

of stunted conversations has been a struggle as we morph from one form to another, but so few of us

can discern the correct path that little real harm has been done.

This "easy out" thing--will there be a quota of topics for each person to introduce?  We could start

with one multiple choice sort of query and progress to essay questions with size structures for the

better writers.  Perhaps you would be available to judge the worthiness of submissions?  We could

start with a roster (alphabetical) where each day, not later than, 6:00 a.m. EDT, a question; the

multiple choice, essay, or regression analysis subject (your choice) ...

This "no easy out" part -- how will punishment be meted out?

I'm sorry... where were we?  Simon and Garfunkel's The Dangling Conversation?