Trailer Trash

Tuesday 8/7/18 (Read 20 times)

LB2

Another 2.5 mile loop through the woods. I guess my 3:30 AM stuff will start tomorrow. I got up at 4 this morning.

QOTD: What is your most favorite running memory, racing or training or just running?

I have tons of memories that are great, probably why I keep doing it. I guess I would have to say that my favorite memory was a race a few years back, 10 miles, where I was actually running in the top 4 from the start (not a stacked field). We were running fast, though. Anyway, the two leaders took an obvious wrong turn, and we followed. They turned a bend in the trail, and I realized with certainty that we had looped onto the wrong trail about a half mile into it. It was early in the race. Another guy and I turned around. The two leaders were around the bend, and I "softly" yelled that we were headed in the wrong direction, which I knew led back to the start. We got back to the trail and were the last two runners on the course. We pushed hard and passed everyone else in the race, about 20 other people. I finished 2nd. It was muddy, cold, and fun.

LB2

Bert-o

I lost my rama

LB2 - When you get up that early, is it still light outside when you go to bed?  Wow, 3:30!

It will be another scorcher tonight, so planning on an easy (relatively) 6 or 7 or whenever my body just shuts down.

QOTD:  Way too many to choose from, but they're all either euphoric highs, crash and burn lows, or just unique.  They all hold a special place in memory. Just a few:   Negative splitting a marathon by 30 seconds for a PR, which will probably hold for the rest of my life.  Running 8 miles in the mountains outside Chiang Mai Thailand.  Being chased by the cut-off at The Rut in Big Sky Montana, finishing 11th to last. And  I was hare on a run in a torrential downpour on a Monday after Easter, so I used marshmallow peeps to mark the trail for others to follow.  One of the runners ate the peeps, so everyone else got lost on trail.  We eventually found everyone several hours later.  All good times.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

dhuffman63

Trails

QOTD: Since I've only been at this 3 years I can't look back over a lifetime.  I certainly have memories but they are mostly from lessons I've learned...sometimes the hard way.  I read an article recently that stated humans are hardwired to remember the negative and that makes sense from a survival standpoint.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

An easy 4 last night.  Super humid out.  Sweating buckets.  I can't wait for cooler temps.

bert-o - the peeps story sounds interesting.  Maybe you could expand on that some time.

LB2 - 3:30 is crazy early.  

QOTD: My memories have to do more with great visuals on runs.  This one training run in particular, it was raining overnight but cold enough that I wasn't sure if I should go.  I remember driving out to the trail and the road was parallel to the mountain I would be going up and over.  The top half of the mountain was covered in white while the bottom half was not.  It was surreal looking.  I ran up the mountain and it flipped from just wet to a winter wonderland almost instantly as I hit the middle of the mountain.  My run was up and over two mountains and then back again so it was just amazing to see the difference as I trotted along.  The second mountain ended up having a fair amount of snow.  I was the first and only one out so no other tracks.  The views from the mountain were stunning.  I hung out for a few moments and took it all in (Zen like ).  I have found it hard to replicate runs like that - the timing of the precipitation was just right.

Another one was my first 50k at Hyner in 2012.  There was a nice vista on the 50k loop looking back at the first climb of the race.  I stopped there and just watched the 25k runners, who started an hour after us, make their way up that horrific climb.  Great view, great feeling.  Minutes later as I made my way down the meandering  I saw my first black bear.  Exhilarating!

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

bert-o  the Rut Run is a really tough race, magnificent country- but you earn every mile of that race!!!!

good strength training session yesterday evening- took it easy on the legs as they are still a wee bit sore

going to be hot today, might get some miles in this evening w/ Tiny E, might just get up early tomorrow

qotd: my best running memories are not from races, but my "adventure" runs- too many to list, but last year's run w/ NH in Glacier Park is high on the list

2024 goal 2024 miles

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Here's the psychologist coming out in me...

Our brains are wired (most of us anyway) in such as way that when something meaningful happens to us, our brain releases certain chemicals and it makes an "imprint" (or memory) that we can often recall later on.  This could be positive and negative memories.  So many people remember their first bike or first pet or first kiss.  They have emotional elements tied to them and are hard to forget.  The same goes with negative experiences.  I can remember as a kid falling off of my bike into a large patch of thorns.  I was all cut up.  This would count towards bad running experiences where we associate negative emotions to that.

There are exceptions to this such as in some people their brains try and dissociate from traumatic situations.

Anyways, there are various theories on this.

QOTD: Since I've only been at this 3 years I can't look back over a lifetime.  I certainly have memories but they are mostly from lessons I've learned...sometimes the hard way.  I read an article recently that stated humans are hardwired to remember the negative and that makes sense from a survival standpoint.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

dhuffman63

Trails

Dr Jamie, I agree that both positive and negative emotions are remembered.  My first trail marathon was the Hawk in Lawrence, KS...for me it was awful, roots, rocks (and they were f'ing rocks) it was hot, I threw up about 4 miles in for a good 30 min and it took me 11 hours.  I ended in the dark and didn't have a flashlight or a head lamp BUT with all that I remember how much fun I did have.  A friend came down from MI and did it with me, we saw a deer, a snake in a tree, the view of the lake was spectacular, the people were the nicest I've ever me.  One day I plan on going back and doing it again.  Sorry for the ramble.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Missed my Monday night with the LRS group and pizza so will try for something a little longer than the 3-4 miles I've been running in the heat. Could be difficult because it's supposed to be in theupper 80s again.

qotd: Choosing just one running memory as favorite would be tough as I've accumulated a lot of memories over 50 plus years of running and over 900 races at distances/times from 400m to 24 hours. If I may bookend those, two of my favorites are my first sub-5:00 mile just two months after returning to running post-high school and my first ultra, a 12 hour race, five years ago. Totally different experiences but equally memorable.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

XtremeTaper

I think I will try that running thing again this evening. 5-6 miles is the plan on a TTBD. Steamy again today here in PA. Definitely more than double the 15C max we had in Iceland last week.

QOTD: Towards the end of Massanutten 100 in 2009. Cliff notes, legs woke up after a long night of rain and walking on trashed feet. It was amazing and sent surges of adrenaline to my brain, like a buzz.

As we approached the aid station to Powell’s Fort the trail hit a dirt road and that woke me up some as for a minute or two there were no rocks and I was able to run it in. I was kind of looking forward to this aid station as SpreT from the RW forum and Zipper was supposed to be here. It’s kind of amazing but I snapped out of my funk here. SpreT said I looked great and whether I did or not as I ate a pancake and some bacon I had to admit mentally I felt pretty strong. My feet were pretty thrashed but my head was still in the game. I chided Angus a bit that it was time to get moving and Spre said that’s what he likes to here; the runner telling the pacer to get a move on.

I knew this next section had a few miles of runnable dirt fire road before turning up onto the blue Tuscarora trail for another steep climb. I’d pretty much rushed Angus out of the last aid station and was chowing down on a pancake and bacon as we made our way through a soggy field towards the road. I joked a bit with Angus here about how I tried to make him run this section of road last year and how much he hated me for it that night. I was back into things now.

So when we got to the road, I began to run again. It seemed like for the first time in hours and hours. I started into a pretty ok pace I guess for someone at 90 miles into a race, but after a ¼ mile of running my left foot began to protest with sharp stabbing pains that felt like fire burning on the ball of my foot. I had to stop running and instantly began cursing. I felt so awake, I felt so alive, so full of energy and the desire to run, but my trashed feet were not allowing me to do so. I cursed out loud in frustration about this several times but eventually just buckled down and tried to walk briskly. That seemed to calm down the foot so I kept with the brisk walking all the way up the road but was sure disappointed not to be running. I figured I would likely be walking it in, and now thoughts of breaking 30 hours seemed out of reach. You think marathon math is fuzzy, you should try 100 miler math in a race of this difficulty.

Anyway, we crossed a few more wet creeks, like it mattered anymore to my mushy wet feet and shoes, and started the second to last big climb of the day. I had lost a bit of momentum with my walking on the steep hill but when Angus spotted another racer ahead I tried to keep moving the best I could. It was Jay from earlier in the night, and we caught up with him at the ridgeline, only to have another runner that Angus knew, Mike the RD from the HAT stride by us like we were standing still a few seconds later.

After a short rocky switchback started our descent, the trail seemed to get a little less steep and I thought I’d try running again though I wasn’t sure if I could. I kind of feared being passed again by Jay who let us go by at the ridge line. I was running pretty slowly, and it seemed to take forever for the next switch back to arrive. I was having to stop and start my “running pace” due to some tricky rocky patches and it was a bit frustrating and I felt that Jay was just behind me waiting to pass again. Man, do I suck on the trails or what! I kept at it though the best I could.

After a few more switchbacks the trail seemed to smooth out just a bit and something came over me. At first it was the realization that I was going to really finish my first 100 miler. Then it was the realization that I really wanted to bring it home strong and break 30 hours. Like I said, 100 mile math is really tricky and I was sure I was at the edge of that window if I kept walking. So I started to turn my legs over just a bit faster. My mind started buzzing when I did this. It’s so hard to explain but it felt so damn good. I almost wanted to cry. I was so pumped up and excited all of a sudden. I started to breathe a bit harder on purpose and picked up the pace as I did so. My breathing was hard but relaxed in a rhythmic fashion. Almost like I was saying enough of this MMT, let me show you who’s in charge. Wow wow wow. I’m running again after all this time. I accelerated a few more times almost using my breathing to stoke the fires and give me a bit more gas. Adrenaline was flowing through me something fierce. Angus muttered “way to go Dave” behind my back and it felt so good to finally give my best friend and pacer a good moment out here. I worried a few times about over doing it here and falling or tripping but it seemed like such a natural movement now on the trail and my feet that had been burning and aching for so long were just making a dull throb and moving along like they were supposed to. I kept the faster pace going up to the final aid station, only slowing a bit for rocky and slippery spots and I even passed Mike just before reaching Elizabeth Furnace. I surge of adrenaline and speed 27+ hours and 93+ miles into my race. It seemed like pure magic and I was so happy.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

AT-runner

Tim

Well my weight loss program continues. All I have to do is run more than 10 miles in soupy humid conditions.  Lost 5 pounds this morning!  Of course it's Wing Night (with Beer) tonight, so I'll put on 6.  

FYI - I "Stickied" Sandy's "Mongol Derby Info" to the top, so we can find it easily and track Devan.  (Yes, Mandy gave me "Admin Powers". And my Kindergarten teacher never thought I'd amount to anything. )

Warden - about never running long again (from your RR)

And you didn't mention running with Jess and I last year. I'm heart broken.

QOTD:  Awesome responses.  I have several (running with Sue at Trail Fest in Utah, running with Mike last year in Helena. Long run with Jamie on the Ironmasters course and another time, getting him lost in Gettysburg).

I've mentioned my sunrise trail run in Ireland before, when I stumbled on an old Monastery.  So I'll go with my last memorable one, the Sole Challenge 48 hr, last year.  The second night, there were maybe 6 or 7 people out running (moving) between 2-5am.  I was moving pretty well, and everyone out on the course was moving at about my same pace, so I never passed or was passed by anyone. So, 2-3 tired hours by myself, with only seeing the timer at the end of every lap.  The birds started singing in their pre-dawn routine, and the sky slowly came awake with a beautiful pink color.  It was a real emotional experience since I was running on fumes by this time. As I came back to the timer, the RD was there and I yelled out "what a great day to be alive".

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

runtraildc

Left the house at 77 degrees and returned at 87 degrees. Got in 8 in the meantime. We mostly stuck to the shaded paved bike trail, but the last mile was on the roads and it was a very long mile. Now drinking some homemade cherry limeade to replenish.

qotd: Lots of runs, but one that comes to mind easily was just a Sunday run, while in Monterey CA for a family wedding.  I didn't have much free time to find trails so this was just on the scenic road out of town, with the ocean on my right the entire way. It was early out and it was just me. In addition to getting in a run in a beautiful spot, it was also a very stressful trip (family and a work trip, combined) and getting out to run under those conditions was especially magical and therapeutic.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Hello all!

Hitting a bit of a wall at the moment with the runs, but I guess that's to be expected. I'm struggling to keep running after 4/5 miles, feeling some tiredness in the legs, but more than anything just wanting to stop. I expect it will go away soon enough, and I really should slow down a little and just push through.

Golfing tonight as a sub in a league, which I'm quite excited about, and then squeezing a run in afterward.

QOTD:

1) Last year, pacing my 66 year old buddy and running every step of the way with him to finally get him to his first 100 mile finish. I think I'd paced him through at least 10 other DNFs.

2) My first time pacing the same buddy, running on an exceedingly muddy course, and having to slide down hill, hugging a tree on the left, then on the right, then back on the left....just to make it down hills. It was really my first true trail running experience, and the terror combined with fun left a lasting impression.

3) Breaking 2:50 in the marathon (2:49:56)...I worked so hard to get there and ran to the absolute level of my ability, which was just so rewarding. My smile at the finish is one of my favorite personal photos ever.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Dr. Jamie - I'll fill you in on the peep story when we meet in person.  It's better that way. 

dhuffman - Yep, if races were predictable, then we'd forget them all.  It's the unpredictability, good or bad that's remembered.  And for me, at least, is why I do them.

warden - Great pics, but when do you not get those?

WC - I didn't know you got into ultras that recently (5 years).  Really cool.

XT - Love the detail in your recollection of that first 100.  I've never gone that far to find out if there would be anything in me across the abyss.  I guess I should find out soon.  Very inspirational!

AT - Every time you mention Sole Challenge, I'm saddened that it's gone (for now). I hope it resumes in the future.  I'm starting to get the hang of these timed events, especially since I was never really interested in them before joining this forum. Love the decision tree BTW.  For me, the first question would be "Does someone ask you if you want to sign up for an ultra?"  The answer is yes. 

runtrail - DW and I visited Monterey and it was a gorgeous area.  Didn't get to run there, but I'm glad to hear you were able to and get a moment of solace during that time (funny how weddings are more stressful than they ought to be, right?).

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Gator eye

LB- I ve been waking at 3:30 to run for going on ten years now, I'm at the point where I feel more comfortable running at that time than day light hours. No other people or traffic, just me and the deer. Quite enjoyable once you get use to the schedule.

6 this am in a thickish fog. Thick enough I should of hit the treadmill but hey at 3:30 I didn't see anybody anyway.

QOTD. Mr Jangles on a cold frosty day where he get a frost beard. He gets the biggest shit eatin grin you ever saw on a dog face on those days

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Me and the mutts ran about 4.5 this morning.  Sure was bright when I woke up and the alarm hadn't even gone off yet.  So I was thinking it was before alarm time but know it was 7:05 and the music on my alarm was turned down so I couldn't hear it.

QOTD:  At my age it's usually my last run.  So Sunday was pretty spectacular run.  My first 50 K was pretty cool, ok it was Way Too Cool and it's still my 50K PR.  But like LB said..there are lots!  Running with At and his DH was cool.  Really wish I could make Colorado but don't think that's in the cards.  Pacing and crewing  TrailJunkie at Western States...such a good time.

AT:  Based on your suggestion,I contacted the race director for Mountain Lakes, same guy as Mr Hood and suggested they send out an email to all those on the wait list to clear out the folks that have no intention on running it now.

Jamie:  41

Warden:  WOW...

Gator Eye:  yes dogs do a lot to make a run special..

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄