Trailer Trash

When did you decide or feel you were ready for ultras? (Read 72 times)

valerienv

Thread killer ..

1. Within a year

2.The spring before my first 50k it was in July

3. After my first 50k

4. Injuries came a couple years in

5. No

6. I was looking for another within a couple days

7. I had no idea about fueling because I didn't know anyone who ran , I didn't belong to any online groups . I did a half marathon and decided to run a 50k . I picked one near my house that isn't really the best choice as a first one , isn't really a 50k ( it's @34 miles ) . I had food poisoning but ran anyway and was sick as a dog the entire race and for days afterwards .

Looking back I don't think I would do anything different , except not eat the strange food the day before .

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Oh I plan on it, January will be my first trail half marathon up in Indy (the Winter Trail (Half) Marathon) and then I am going to run the Indian-Celina Challenge 13.1 distance in June. I have a 15k trail race 2 weeks from this Saturday, my area has a group that is slowly getting trail races going here. This past June I ran a 5 mile night race called Howl at the Moon, thought I knew the trails well enough but a group and I made a wrong assumption at a "fork", trails are really different at night. I do run these said trails now, before sun up and during daylight hours. 5ks and 10ks would be too easy for me now on trails, but they do have a 5k race at John James Audubon State park, a very hilly area that I have been fortunate enough to run on so it would actually be challenging due to the hills, not the distance. I would be running it this year, but it's this Saturday and I am already committed to running the Indy Monumental Half.

After this weekend's HM, I plan on putting the majority of my runs on trails to prepare myself, I pretty much want to run trail races now except for distances shorter than 10ks, because part of me does want to improve on my speed and pace so I will most likely keep running road races when they're 5ks and 10ks (and some 7ks) Smile

A little unsolicited advice.  Learn to be a better runner at short distances and try your hand at some shorter trail runs (10-20-30K distance) before setting super lofty goals.  I liked my 50K and I plan on doing it again this coming spring.  But I don't think I could ever force myself above 50 miles (and I'm not so sure about the 50 mile thing either).  I just have no desire to get out there and be slogging for the 24-30 hours it would take to do a 100 miler.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Uh oh... now what?

...I pretty much want to run trail races now except for distances shorter than 10ks, because part of me does want to improve on my speed and pace so I will most likely keep running road races when they're 5ks and 10ks (and some 7ks) Smile

There is a common misconception that a person loses speed when starting to run ultras, particularly if the ultras are on trails.  That is pure hogwash, horse pucky, and so on.  Controlled medium-hard effort marathons or half marathons became good tempo runs for ultras (road or trail).  Speed work is essential for trails--helps with agility and confidence on downhill segments.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Yeah, this past Sunday on the trails was my fastest 8 miler I think. Of course my trails are mainly flat and rooty, so I don't really have to slow down except at night. Once I start running at the hillier parks (Audubon and Hoosier National Forest near Bristow, IN), I will most likely be a bit slower than on the roads.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Occasional Runner

There is a common misconception that a person loses speed when starting to run ultras, particularly if the ultras are on trails.  That is pure hogwash, horse pucky, and so on.  Controlled medium-hard effort marathons or half marathons became good tempo runs for ultras (road or trail).  Speed work is essential for trails--helps with agility and confidence on downhill segments.

I agree. I'm a hell of a lot faster at the 5k and 10k distance since I started running ultras. I make a point to run a couple short events every year just to measure my progress. It's a fun process.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I think underlying this conversation is 2 separate points of view (both valid) as far as when you are "ready" for an ultra.  It all kind of comes back to are you running or are you racing.  With any race, there are people who are out there to be competetive and there are people who are out there for non-competetive reasons.

For me, I skipped the marathon distance before giving it a go at the 50k distance.  This made sense to me because if I were to do a road marathon, I would be racing (tracking pace/calculating finish time/trying to qualify for Boston/etc.), but I could go into the 50k without any of that pressure and just see if I could cover the distance.  Was I really ready to run a 50k? probably not by many peoples standards.  From what I have seen, the ultra community is much more accepting of this kind of approach to a race.  If I went over to the Begginers forum and showed them my running log and asked if I was ready for a marathon, I think most would try to talk me out of it and tell me to work on shorter distances.  If I came onto this forum and showed my log and asked if I could do a 100k, I think the response would be "give it a shot!".  That kind of attitude is necessary in the world of ultras or else nobody would ever attempt those kind of distances.

If you want to get into running ultras, I would recommend a monthly long run that you are not 100% sure you can complete.  Another piece of advice that has been good to me has been to measure long runs by "time on feet" as opposed to distance/pace etc.  Lastly, keep in mind that walking is part of ultra running for 95% of people and that is not a bad thing.  I have absolutely 0 ambition to complete a 50k without walking the hills, whereas in a marathon I would be disappointed in myself if I had to walk.

**Ask me about streaking**

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I got lost.

Running is dumb.

Uh oh... now what?

I got lost.

An almost always available option to turn a subultra into the "real" thing.  Driving home from the 49er Double Marathon, Kathy mentioned how beautiful the Muir Woods (really old, incredibly big redwoods) were.  I pointed out that the marathon did not go through the Muir Woods.  She said the three people she was running with were talking about them and when they got to a certain junction they offered a three mile add-on to the course so she could see their favorite trail.  A lack of dedication and discipline leaves options like that open.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Very good advice, thank you. Right now a long run I wouldn't sure I can complete would probably be 14-17 miles, but I don't think I will attempt that this year, but I will definitely take that advice and use it. I am very obsessive at this point of logging distances, just because I am increasing my mileage and so I am always watching it but I do agree about time on feet. And though there isn't any walking on the flat trails I run now (they're that easy, except for the demon roots), I know that advice will definitely come in handy when I start hitting the much hillier, more challenging trails. Thank you.

I hope I don't ever get lost, but I do have a great sense of direction so... as long as I know the area around me (city, roads, houses, water sources) I should be fine.

If you want to get into running ultras, I would recommend a monthly long run that you are not 100% sure you can complete.  Another piece of advice that has been good to me has been to measure long runs by "time on feet" as opposed to distance/pace etc.  Lastly, keep in mind that walking is part of ultra running for 95% of people and that is not a bad thing.  I have absolutely 0 ambition to complete a 50k without walking the hills, whereas in a marathon I would be disappointed in myself if I had to walk.

PRs

XtremeTaper

I got lost.

Ha. Good one.

Reminds me my first "ultra" was technically a 28 mile training run the week before my first "real ultra" (the race kind with the bib and all of that). We were pretty stupid in those days. We thought running with one handheld and doing a 2 miles out and back off trail on a state road to a service station was a good enough fueling method for that sort of run.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Somewhere in the discussion is a change in thinking/perception.  Once I was petrified at the thought of running for 3 hours.  3 hours? Are you kidding me? What kind of a person runs for 3 continuous hours? Now I look forward to times I have 3 (or 4 or 5) hours to run semi-aimlessly through the woods just to see what I can see.  Or just because.

Jamezilla is right - two different trains of thought - racing vs. running.  Nothing wrong with either.  I thought I was somewhat competitive in my HM days.  I have slowed way down since then (only three years agoShocked) but I don't care.  Someday I might care again about that.

And getting lost is no so bad...some of the time.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I am competitive, and as I've improved dramatically on my speed this year I have gotten even more competitive so I will feel that even on the trail races (distances shorter than a half marathon). That will probably be something to work on if I do intend on moving forward and into ultras or longer distances, otherwise I would probably drive myself insane if I constantly watch my pace and time rather than just enjoy it and make sure I finish in one piece.

PRs

Somewhere in the discussion is a change in thinking/perception.  Once I was petrified at the thought of running for 3 hours.  3 hours? Are you kidding me? What kind of a person runs for 3 continuous hours? Now I look forward to times I have 3 (or 4 or 5) hours to run semi-aimlessly through the woods just to see what I can see.  Or just because.

Jamezilla is right - two different trains of thought - racing vs. running.  Nothing wrong with either.  I thought I was somewhat competitive in my HM days.  I have slowed way down since then (only three years agoShocked) but I don't care.  Someday I might care again about that.

And getting lost is no so bad...some of the time.

Yes! It is so about that. The reason I'm taking a break from ultras is because the 3-5 hour runs are not fun or exciting for me right now :/ If you don't love the long run....you shouldn't be running ultras.

Disclosure: I'm fully confident after a few months off from long runs I will be chomping at the bit to get back at it.

Messenjah

If you don't mind me asking, you seem to be putting a lot of emphasis on your competitiveness, which is awesome, but according to your signature line most of your races have been road races. Are you looking to get into road ultras or trail ultras?

I am competitive, and as I've improved dramatically on my speed this year I have gotten even more competitive so I will feel that even on the trail races (distances shorter than a half marathon). That will probably be something to work on if I do intend on moving forward and into ultras or longer distances, otherwise I would probably drive myself insane if I constantly watch my pace and time rather than just enjoy it and make sure I finish in one piece.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Trail ultras, I am bored with the road and I've always loved the outdoors and trails even more. I have no interest in even running my first 26.2 on a road, and my 13.1 road races have become boring. I knew when getting into running I would want to obsess over trails, but was never fully ready to make that commitment until now.

If you don't mind me asking, you seem to be putting a lot of emphasis on your competitiveness, which is awesome, but according to your signature line most of your races have been road races. Are you looking to get into road ultras or trail ultras?

PRs