Trailer Trash

When did you decide or feel you were ready for ultras? (Read 72 times)

Occasional Runner

This comment may be totally irrelevant but I'm going to post it anyway.

In my opinion, there are way too many people "running" ultras that really have no business doing it. These distances have become popularized, largely due to social media, and people that don't have the conditioning, preparation, or basic understanding of the sport are suddenly eager to become an ultra runner.

Race directors know this too and they're capitalizing on it.

Even a flat 100 miler will almost certainly have a 30 hour cut off. That allows a "runner" to finish the race with an 18 minute pace. I walk at a 15 minute pace (unless it's straight UP). As a result, more people are willing to enter races, more races are popping up all over, more people are blogging and posting on Facebook and all of this generates an unavoidable BUZZ around the sport which draws even more people to it.

I support anything that gets people off the couch and active, but there is a noticeable "watering down" of the sport.

Here's my actual point...

I hope every runner that wants to get into ultras will take the time to evaluate their reasons and make sure they make sense. Once they've satisfied that, I would hope they would become a student of the sport (more than reading Born to Run) and immerse themselves in the reality of running these RACES. I would go even further and hope they would volunteer at an ultra and get their hands in the mix before trying to enter the sport.

Once these things are done, they'll know when they're ready to run their first ultra.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Reminds me of the movie "Race for the Soul", there were way too many people that didn't "look" like they should be attempting a 100 mile race, but at an 18:00 min pace....... I guess there are a lot who will try. I've always wondered if that Lucinda Fischer ever actually finished a WS100, in the movie she was at the back of the "pack" and I don't think she made it halfway... I guess with their new qualifying times starting next year or 2015, people like her won't be able to do the WS100? For me, I'm asking  questions and wanting to hear stories out of curiosity, if there comes a day I know I WANT to and am ready to try ultras, I'll still question my reasons and readiness. I mean, I will keep pushing distances just for fun, to see how far I can go (occasionally), I don't think I really NEED to run an ultra race to call myself an ultrarunner or extreme distance runner. I mean, having a medal or something to prove I ran the distance would be nice too Smile But I am only a quarter of a century old (gonna be 26 this Sunday!!), so I've got a long enough life ahead of me to worry about things like this, I am going to make sure my main focus is to have fun. Smile

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Occasional Runner

RIght.

And my statement (opinion. I have to say opinion or some assholes will try to say I'm stating fact or some nonsense) is not a criticism of any individual. It's a criticism of the evolution of our culture. We've become a society that has no patience and demands immediate satisfaction of every whim. Young people in our society want to drive new cars, have big flat screen TV's, the latest iPhone...and they have to have it now! Who stands in from of the Apple Store every time some new gadget comes out? Camping out for days? It's not the over 30 crowd.

When did I become an old man complaining about young people? I never saw that coming.

But you're exactly right. You have a lot of time. You have another 30 or 40 years to run and to master it. So enjoy that and be grateful for it.

I stumbled into ultra running 3 years ago, before I ran a marathon and only 6 months after finishing my first 5k. I didn't really plan on being an ultra runner. Things just happened and I ran long. I did it well, avoided injury, recovered fast and did it again. It was never planned, it just happened. So I'm probably the wrong guy to get advice from anyway and that's why I rarely give it.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I can proudly say I love my '98 Chevy Tahoe and I will NEVER stand in line for anything as stupid as some electronic gadget. Big grin

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

This comment may be totally irrelevant but I'm going to post it anyway.

In my opinion, there are way too many people "running" ultras that really have no business doing it. These distances have become popularized, largely due to social media, and people that don't have the conditioning, preparation, or basic understanding of the sport are suddenly eager to become an ultra runner.

Race directors know this too and they're capitalizing on it.

Even a flat 100 miler will almost certainly have a 30 hour cut off. That allows a "runner" to finish the race with an 18 minute pace. I walk at a 15 minute pace (unless it's straight UP). As a result, more people are willing to enter races, more races are popping up all over, more people are blogging and posting on Facebook and all of this generates an unavoidable BUZZ around the sport which draws even more people to it.

I support anything that gets people off the couch and active, but there is a noticeable "watering down" of the sport.

Here's my actual point...

I hope every runner that wants to get into ultras will take the time to evaluate their reasons and make sure they make sense. Once they've satisfied that, I would hope they would become a student of the sport (more than reading Born to Run) and immerse themselves in the reality of running these RACES. I would go even further and hope they would volunteer at an ultra and get their hands in the mix before trying to enter the sport.

Once these things are done, they'll know when they're ready to run their first ultra.

Your comments make me a little uneasy about my reasons for deciding to run ultras, mostly because I'm old and slow and would need those 30 hours if I ever decided to run a 100M race. We have these discussions on other forums about the marathon and how people want to jump immediately to that, sometimes without running any other races in preparation. I'm attracted to ultras more because they remind me of the small, close-knit community road racing was when I first got involved back in the late 60s. With the exception of one, maybe two races a year, I'd be running ultras more for the experience than for performance reasons. I was probably under prepared for my one and only ultra so far even though I spent 6 months training specifically for it with a coach. Maybe my reasons aren't what you would look for, but they aren't bucket list reasons either. I'm looking for a new challenge after 45 years of running, preferably one not so dependent on the speed I've lost, and ultras seem to fit that desire.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Young people in our society want to drive new cars, have big flat screen TV's, the latest iPhone...and they have to have it now! Who stands in from of the Apple Store every time some new gadget comes out? Camping out for days? It's not the over 30 crowd.

When did I become an old man complaining about young people? I never saw that coming.

I almost spit out perfectly good beer.

**Ask me about streaking**

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I hope I don't ever get lost, but I do have a great sense of direction so... as long as I know the area around me (city, roads, houses, water sources) I should be fine.

Yeah - that's exactly what I thought, too.

Before I got lost.

Run for fun.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I'd say my training app's GPS would help me in most situations, but probably not in a mountainous area.

Yeah - that's exactly what I thought, too.

Before I got lost.

PRs

Uh oh... now what?

Someday there will come a DNF.

Someday you will get lost.

Someday all the batteries you depend on will fail.

Someday you will find yourself standing on the trail and your mind will not recall why you stopped.

Someday you will run home only to notice the car is not in the garage and you will run back to the trailhead.

Someday you will run a three-bottle run while cursing having only two bottles.

bbbyyy

Occasional Runner

Someday you will find yourself standing on the trail and your mind will not recall why you stopped.

Someday you will run home only to notice the car is not in the garage and you will run back to the trailhead.

bbbyyy

I have had all of these days.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Which do you feel is worse, having all those things happen to you at once while at night or during the day?

PRs

Occasional Runner

Which do you feel is worse, having all those things happen to you at once while at night or during the day?

If you run ultras, those things are far more likely to happen at night than during the day.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

bbbyyy

So true.

I've experienced some of these things, and I'm sure I'll come across some more over time.

Run for fun.

Uh oh... now what?

If you run ultras, those things are far more likely to happen at night than during the day.

We need a 'thumbs up' icon.  I become creative in a negative sort of way between midnight and o'dark in the morning.

LB2

bbbyyy

I had all these on one day... more than once.

LB2