Trailer Trash

When did you decide or feel you were ready for ultras? (Read 72 times)

LB2

Which do you feel is worse, having all those things happen to you at once while at night or during the day?

Well, the light thing will definitely be worse at night. But I can usually get by without a light, depending on the distance and the moon. The worst of those things mentioned is having two bottles when you need three. I can remember when I thought things couldn't get any worse I realized that I had run out of fluids with a lot longer distance to go than I thought. That may not have been so bad if I had not already been in a very, very bad place mentally. It was the final nail in my coffin for that day.

LB2

Uh oh... now what?

Well, the light thing will definitely be worse at night. But I can usually get by without a light, depending on the distance and the moon. The worst of those things mentioned is having two bottles when you need three. I can remember when I thought things couldn't get any worse I realized that I had run out of fluids with a lot longer distance to go than I thought. That may not have been so bad if I had not already been in a very, very bad place mentally. It was the final nail in my coffin for that day.

+3 on that one.  The empty bottles and miles to go can bring things to a halt.  Fuzzy decision making put me on the wrong side of the valley.  I found myself standing there looking across at the saddle... hmmm, why is the saddle over there, apparently I turned right at contour when I was to turn left... this is going to be a 'find a creek' and eat some mud day (actually I remembered the "put some mud in your shirt and squeeze the water into your mouth, bottle...whatever" thing).

LB2 ... "Iluminaton in the Flatwoods" by Joe Hutto -- all about wild turkeys -- have you read it?

Occasional Runner

My headlamp failed at the Bear 100. The batteries didn't die, the lamp just abruptly failed. I had my pacer with me (this was around mile 88) and I had him shine his lamp over my shoulder but the shadows still made it brutal. I ran right into trees, tripped over rocks and nearly impaled myself on a dead snag. It truly sucked!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Ouch Sad

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Your comments make me a little uneasy about my reasons for deciding to run ultras, mostly because I'm old and slow and would need those 30 hours if I ever decided to run a 100M race. We have these discussions on other forums about the marathon and how people want to jump immediately to that, sometimes without running any other races in preparation. I'm attracted to ultras more because they remind me of the small, close-knit community road racing was when I first got involved back in the late 60s. With the exception of one, maybe two races a year, I'd be running ultras more for the experience than for performance reasons. I was probably under prepared for my one and only ultra so far even though I spent 6 months training specifically for it with a coach. Maybe my reasons aren't what you would look for, but they aren't bucket list reasons either. I'm looking for a new challenge after 45 years of running, preferably one not so dependent on the speed I've lost, and ultras seem to fit that desire.

It shouldn't matter why you (or anyone else) wants to run an ultra.  Your reason shouldn't be my reason and my reason shouldn't be your reason and so on.  I think part of Lace's comments are about thinking it is a fad and then thinking that anyone can do it without much training.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Occasional Runner

It shouldn't matter why you (or anyone else) wants to run an ultra.  Your reason shouldn't be my reason and my reason shouldn't be your reason and so on.  I think part of Lace's comments are about thinking it is a fad and then thinking that anyone can do it without much training.

Really, what I'm driving at is something different. I get the impression that some people want to do it as a sign of being a badass, or they want to be admired by their half marathon running buddies. Sorta the same reasons somebody might be motivated to run the Tough Mudder. In my opinion, those are the wrong reasons. And some of that is related to the "fad" of ultra running and will eventually pass, like the VFF's did (Jamie, I think I was ridiculed for predicting that). I foresee a slow in the growth of ultra running and then a slight drop in numbers before a stabilization.

cowboyjunkie

as far as the comments on 18mm pace. those folks are going faster. they would not be able to finish in 30 hours if they weren't. there is time spent at aid stations which can add up as many know, whether it's taking a long time to settle a stomach issue or taking a nap.. so, what is an acceptable pace to keep the riff raff out?

i'd rather see people trying and failing for whatever reason than the "sport" become dominated by elitists or elites. it's hard to run 100 miles and those in it for the "right" (whatever than means) reason will endure.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Really, what I'm driving at is something different. I get the impression that some people want to do it as a sign of being a badass, or they want to be admired by their half marathon running buddies. Sorta the same reasons somebody might be motivated to run the Tough Mudder. In my opinion, those are the wrong reasons. And some of that is related to the "fad" of ultra running and will eventually pass, like the VFF's did (Jamie, I think I was ridiculed for predicting that). I foresee a slow in the growth of ultra running and then a slight drop in numbers before a stabilization.

I'm interested in being a part of the community, not viewed as an intruder or Johnny come lately. I'm not sure what I could do as a volunteer, since I'd be at races as an entrant as well, or how else I could be involved (my organizational skills are nil). I would think I'm too slow to be a pacer and I'm not sure what a crew member does. It seems like every one has a different idea about that and I don't yet have the experience to anticipate or know what a runner might need anyway.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I'm interested in being a part of the community, not viewed as an intruder or Johnny come lately. I'm not sure what I could do as a volunteer, since I'd be at races as an entrant as well, or how else I could be involved (my organizational skills are nil). I would think I'm too slow to be a pacer and I'm not sure what a crew member does. It seems like every one has a different idea about that and I don't yet have the experience to anticipate or know what a runner might need anyway.

George, just jump on it and enjoy.  The water is warm.  Don't worry about the rest -- it'll come.

Running is dumb.

valerienv

Thread killer ..

George, just jump on it and enjoy.  The water is warm.  Don't worry about the rest -- it'll come.

+1

Lot's of stuff goes on before and after a race . You can volunteer and tell them you are running , they will find something for you to do . Our local ultra starts getting ready in March for a May race , supplies are sorted and organized , courses are marked , race packets are put together , plenty to do and still run the race .

Birdwell

That's an easy one! find another race to volunteer at.

I had a chance to volunteer at the Bryce 100 last year (crewing a solo runner). My brilliant observation on the best way to help?

Show up. (Brilliant, I know)

Just be there, and others will help find a use.

Crewing and volunteering made that the best race I've ever been at. It was better than my first ultra finish.

XtremeTaper

as far as the comments on 18mm pace. those folks are going faster. they would not be able to finish in 30 hours if they weren't. there is time spent at aid stations which can add up as many know, whether it's taking a long time to settle a stomach issue or taking a nap.. so, what is an acceptable pace to keep the riff raff out?

i'd rather see people trying and failing for whatever reason than the "sport" become dominated by elitists or elites. it's hard to run 100 miles and those in it for the "right" (whatever than means) reason will endure.

The "right" reason to me is because you enjoy a challenge and being out on the trail.   Smile

In dog beers, I've only had one.

cowboyjunkie

XT, i agree. that's why i feel people who truly don't enjoy being out there for a long time, sometimes in rough conditions, will dabble and then perhaps go on to something else.

as for the initial question, since my first ultra was accidental, i never "decided". Big grin

LB2

LB2 ... "Iluminaton in the Flatwoods" by Joe Hutto -- all about wild turkeys -- have you read it?

Yes. I have read it several times. It is one of my favorites, especially the first part where it describes Hutto's first foray into the dark woods alone. It really captures the essence of the spring woods.

LB2

Uh oh... now what?

<hijack>

Yes. I have read it several times. It is one of my favorites, especially the first part where it describes Hutto's first foray into the dark woods alone. It really captures the essence of the spring woods.

Aha... thanks, I'll order it.

</hijack>