Trailer Trash

When did you decide or feel you were ready for ultras? (Read 72 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I think my main reason is/will be that I want to push myself and see how far I can go, where is my limit/wall. I love breaking barriers and proving nay-sayers wrong, I want to know what I am capable of.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

I would like to do a local 50k in a few years.

I plan on running the 25k Jan 2015 and then the 50k in a few years.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Uh oh... now what?

I think my main reason is/will be that I want to push myself and see how far I can go, where is my limit/wall. I love breaking barriers and proving naysayers wrong, I want to know what I am capable of.

If your primary interest is "how far", it would seem like you would be more concerned with time events rather than trails.

FIFY... Big grin

SillyC

1. It took me longer than most - I got pregnant a year after starting running, and had a couple of kids.  So I wasn't training well until I had been running for ~ 8 or 9 years.

2. After running my first half-marathon, I realized I enjoyed long runs very much.  I ended up getting my long runs up to 18 miles just for grins, then realized I was fit enough for a marathon.  The only one I could find was a trail marathon, and I LOVED it.  I was hooked!

3. With the fuel?   Actually, this was a bit of a dirty little secret of mine.  I'd stop and pick up a snack on 4 mile runs, and keep on running with my snack, long before I started distance running.  A relic from running during a couple of pregnancies.  I love to eat.  I love to run.  Both at the same time is spectacular.

4. Since taking up ultras in 2010, I've been relatively injury free.  A fractured metatarsal from kicking a box of cat litter (back running in 5 days).  A torn meniscus from slipping on ice (back running in 2 days).  The meniscus only looks bad, it doesn't hurt.  But that's it.

5. Nope!   The only doubts I've had were realistic - I ran a 50 miler with some unsympathetic cutoffs, and I didn't think I'd make them.  But I did.

6. I could have run another a few weeks later.  I don't race too much because I have school aged kids.  I usually get to about four or five a year.

7. Yes!  A few weeks ago I ran a trail marathon carrying nothing but the ultraspire cup.  Like I was Anton Krupicka or something.  I had a major hypoglycemic fit and nearly passed out.  Lesson learned - Krupicka has a number of DNFs.  Wink And I need to carry some candy.

SillyC

adkkev

I ran my first 50k this past August ... pretty much as a challenge for myself, just to see if I could do it.  And I did it.  I have never run a marathon, road or trail.  My longest runs/races previous to the 50k were a couple 25k trail runs ... in fact I ran a 25k trail run (Mt Moosalamoo in Vermont) three weeks before my 50k.  And I'm one of those older codgers who runs in the back of the pack.

I don't have a coach, don't follow much of a plan, probably don't train very well either.  I don't run with a team or a pacer ... sadly there are few trail runners in my area.  My first race, a 5k, was just over three years ago.  Unlike you I don't have 30 or 40 years to polish my skills.  I started running to lose some weight ... and it was a tough start.  But then I discovered that I really liked running.  And then I discovered trail running.  Then I really liked running!

Unfortunately there are not very many trails close to where I live ... so most of my daily running is around town on the streets/sidewalks.

And one reason why I'm probably don't train well is because I like to do a lot of other outdoorsy activities ... my wife and I have solo canoes and we do quite a bit of canoeing in the Adirondacks during the summer & fall.  And we hike too.  In the winter it's snowshoeing and cross country skiing.  I refuse to give up these fun activities just to run.  And we travel (our oldest son lives in Alaska ... what better reason to spend time up in such a beautiful place??  I have actually run two races up there, a road 5k this past June and a leg of the Equinox marathon in Sept 2012 - our three man team finished 44 out of 146 teams.)

My apologies for the rambling ... Big grin

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Except that I can't imagine running for 2 1/2 + miles on a road, roads have become quite boring to me. I've always loved trails and the outdoors, hiking, biking or running. Trails make everything better.

If your primary interest is "how far", it would seem like you would be more concerned with time events rather than trails.

FIFY... Big grin

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

When was I ready?

After my first race in 2001, an e-friend whispered the idea of trying ultras. I'd been intrigued by his race reports on trails and ultras, so was easily influenced. I was new so was building base anyway - in winter, since I was a field ecologist in summer (lots of hiking). Almost everything I did from the start was oriented toward a trail ultra in xxx years: Building time on feet, learning trails, learning hills, learning what to eat and drink, etc

I had some AT/PF issues, which actually started before structured running, which recurred. PT identified cause, spent lots of time strengthening feet and ankles.

After doing a 15-mi trail race that went reasonably well (in my mind, anyway) and a few weird things (like winning an overnight stay in a hotel not far from the 50-mi start line) that I took as "signs", I decided to aim for the next year. There is so much unknown in a trail ultra without support, you could train forever - unless you were actually on the trail - and not really feel ready. And race day weather can be different than what you trained in. I really wasn't interested in the 50-mi race itself, as I was in running across the pass - 38 mi between trailheads. It just looked really cool on the map. I aimed for 60k the year I turned 60 - which would get me from trailhead to trailhead, hopefully in the 13 hr before the course "closed." Closing the course just means they take down everything and leave. You're free to continue on your own. (A few years later, I did eventually include the last 12 mi of road and complete 50mi, but it was anti-climatic.)

About 20 min into 1st attempt (way behind others), I saw bear scat and heard things in bushes and considered turning around. However, since I'd volunteered 2 yrs first, I knew the start line would be packed up and gone, so there was no retreat. I probably had 37 miles in front of me before I'd see my car and other runners - through bear country. Once I got up the first hill (4mi) and into more open country so I could see, I felt more comfortable and relaxed a bit.

Then again about 2 hr (8 mi) from the distant trailhead, my body was saying "enough", but the only way out was to keep moving forward. Trails in Alaska you're usually on your own.

My body was *really* tired for about a week - tired toes and fingers, even. But I knew I could do better. I was just getting started. I did a HM about 6 wks later, took a break, then was eyeing doing the race again. At the time, it was the only summer ultra up here. I'm too slow for the winter ultras and haven't figured out how to keep my feet warm beyond about 4-5 hrs if the temps are near 0F or colder.

Every race is a learning experience. Things that happen may or may not be considered "mistakes" depending upon the magnitude of their effect on your race. Over time, the weight of my pack decreased. Was it a mistake to have that much my first time through - I'd say "no" based on my experience level at the time. I've also seen experienced 100milers spend an hour around a campfire warming up after slight hypothermia because they didn't have the right gear or didn't put it on. (yes, they were headed back out into the dark and heavy rain with the bears with next trailhead being 38 mi away)

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Except that I can't imagine running for 2 1/2 + miles on a road, roads have become quite boring to me. I've always loved trails and the outdoors, hiking, biking or running. Trails make everything better.

Some timed events are on trail.

We've got a 10-hr climbathon at a ski resort. Climb up (2000ft in about 2.4mi), tram down, repeat as many times as you can in 10 hrs. The beauty of hills without the agony of downhill. Wink   (tram might also be open to downhill mtn bikers that day, so they take tram up - nicely balanced loads) Their FB page. Since it takes 11 laps, or 22,000ft to get over marathon distance, technically it's not an ultra for most people, but most people are just seeing what they're capable of. (I did 6 laps / 12,000ft this year)

Other timed events may be on flatter trails. Wink

The thing I had to get used to was how to manage drop bag at top. I was used to carrying everything with me, but given the opportunity to access gear / food every 1:15 (on avg), I took advantage of that.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

And one reason why I'm probably don't train well is because I like to do a lot of other outdoorsy activities ... my wife and I have solo canoes and we do quite a bit of canoeing in the Adirondacks during the summer & fall.  And we hike too.  In the winter it's snowshoeing and cross country skiing.  I refuse to give up these fun activities just to run.  And we travel (our oldest son lives in Alaska ... what better reason to spend time up in such a beautiful place??  I have actually run two races up there, a road 5k this past June and a leg of the Equinox marathon in Sept 2012 - our three man team finished 44 out of 146 teams.)

You finished hours ahead of me. Wink

When I still lived back east (almost 40 yr ago), I had done a bit of backpacking / peak bagging in the Ads.

I'm interested in being a part of the community, not viewed as an intruder or Johnny come lately. I'm not sure what I could do as a volunteer, since I'd be at races as an entrant as well, or how else I could be involved (my organizational skills are nil). I would think I'm too slow to be a pacer and I'm not sure what a crew member does. It seems like every one has a different idea about that and I don't yet have the experience to anticipate or know what a runner might need anyway.

You learn by showing up and helping. Many of the larger ultras have aid station captains and experienced crews where you can watch, learn, and help.

I volunteered at our local 50/100 mi for 2 yrs before I tried it. I was unsure what they would have me do, since it's 38mi between trailheads, some aid, then 12 mi of road to the finish. Keep in mind, Alaska trail races don't have aid stations, so this was something I'd only read about. The first station they put me at, was the station 12mi from the end. Set up food in trunk, iirc, and might have had a small table. We did make hot something or other, but by the time any runners came, it was enough later in the day, that they really didn't want what we had. (that was a first time for that aid station and only time it was set up that way).

I was then sent up the last hill, 4 mi from finish. The road part is 4 mi flat, 4mi up, then back down. That way people can use last of their water and get more at top of hill. I manned that alone with my only prior experience being a few hours earlier. Being sort of clueness, I just arranged the stuff in back of my jeep - carbs, salty stuff, whatever - and let people grab what they wanted.

The point is you learn a *lot* about what's needed by watching and learning. This group has a party at someone's house in November, usually, and eat, tell stories, watch slides, eat, drink, etc. Even though I'd never tried an ultra at the time, I was welcomed by the group. As one person put it, they were SOOOO glad to see someone with water at the top of that hill, that they really didn't care if I was experienced or not.

I've since helped with the turnaround in the 100mi (hot stuff in middle of night) and I provide relief for the 50k finish line in the local winter ultra. I go out in the morning before either the 50k or 100 mile races start, take pictures of most of the racers, then come back in around dinner time to provide relief for the finish line folks. (50k and 100mi end at same location. 100mi workers are in contact with distant aid stations /cabins by phone to check on who has been through the station. That gets written on a board, then placed in nearby cafe where people waiting for their racers hang out.

Volunteering is almost as much fun as the race. With many races, I finish in time for them to take the finish line down, so I don't get in on much of the partying and sharing stories. When I volunteer, I do.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Oh I most likely will stick with timed events when it comes to races, not sure about those you speak of where you just do so many that you can, then stop if you can't go any further. I'd want to do the whole thing or die trying.

That whole drop bag thing, aid stations and fueling up just seems like so much work. I mean I've only seen one race an that was the WS100 on the Race for your Soul dvd.

Some timed events are on trail.

We've got a 10-hr climbathon at a ski resort. Climb up (2000ft in about 2.4mi), tram down, repeat as many times as you can in 10 hrs. The beauty of hills without the agony of downhill. Wink   (tram might also be open to downhill mtn bikers that day, so they take tram up - nicely balanced loads) Their FB page. Since it takes 11 laps, or 22,000ft to get over marathon distance, technically it's not an ultra for most people, but most people are just seeing what they're capable of. (I did 6 laps / 12,000ft this year)

Other timed events may be on flatter trails. Wink

The thing I had to get used to was how to manage drop bag at top. I was used to carrying everything with me, but given the opportunity to access gear / food every 1:15 (on avg), I took advantage of that.

PRs

Uh oh... now what?

Oh I most likely will stick with timed events when it comes to races, not sure about those you speak of where you just do so many that you can, then stop if you can't go any further. I'd want to do the whole thing or die trying.

That whole drop bag thing, aid stations and fueling up just seems like so much work. I mean I've only seen one race an that was the WS100 on the Race for your Soul dvd.

edit... delete... a;fjsldjfl;ajflksjf9iiejdkj  The whole running thing, it's just something you do--sans the training, eating, or planning?

Sorry, should have started by asking if this game is still open, it being Halloween and such.

You're just considering short ultras then - if you don't need water, etc. Or were you going to carry everything with you for 31 mi, or at least 26.2+mil?

Yea, I'll have to admit I struggled with the aid station concept for awhile since I was used to carrying everything. Aid stations make it convenient when you don't have convenient rivers for refilling water bottle.

Or maybe there's some confusion. When we refer to "timed" events, it's usually getting as much distance or vertical feet as you can in the allowed time on the given course. Could be anywhere from 1 hr to 6 days or more, but 12, 24, and 36 are the most common that I've heard about. Sleeping and eating are allowed and maybe encouraged for best performance. Your result is miles/km  or vertical feet. You can take the whole time or only part, and there's no DNF, unless maybe you don't complete one lap.

Then there's distance events, like WS100, where you need to complete the course within a certain time limit. Your result is a time. DNF's are the result of not finishing within the time limit - whether you stop, get pulled for medical reasons, or miss a time cutoff.

SillyC

That whole drop bag thing, aid stations and fueling up just seems like so much work.

FreeSoul87....  if this is really how you feel, then I'm afraid ultras just aren't for you.  The drop bag thing, the aid stations, and the fueling up are what make ultra distance runs enjoyable.  More frankly, they are what make these events possible.  When people say to me "I don't know how you run 50 miles!" I usually respond, "Oh!  Did you know?  It turns out if you eat a bunch of Oreos, you can just keep on running.  And they hand those out ever few miles."  "Really?  Cookies?"  "Yeah, cookies and....  POTATO CHIPS!"

Me, I love to run and eat at the same time.  I also love to be in the forest all damn day.    Another friend of mine loves ultras because he loves the mental game involving drop bags, aid stations, and fueling.

You don't have to run ultras, FreeSoul87.  If you're not enjoying yourself (because you didn't eat, perhaps).... it's a really long time to be out there having a bad time.