Trailer Trash

When did you decide or feel you were ready for ultras? (Read 72 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Except that I can't imagine running for 2 1/2 + miles on a road, roads have become quite boring to me. I've always loved trails and the outdoors, hiking, biking or running. Trails make everything better.

That whole drop bag thing, aid stations and fueling up just seems like so much work.

There are trail races that aren't ultras. In fact the only trail races I've run, albeit many years ago, were 10Ks. In my area I've seen notices for trail races from 5K to 30K, so there are trail races that wouldn't involve drop bags, aid stations, and fueling up. I would question the wisdom of entering an ultra trail race without making use of those though.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Uh oh... now what?

I'll bet the double-crust with picked-from-our-trees-apples apple pie that is in the oven that this was a trolling expedition.

SillyC

I'll bet the double-crust with picked-from-our-trees-apples apple pie that is in the oven that this was a trolling expedition.

Apple pie?  Is there any left over, John?  I am running long on Sunday.  Thinking of using my car as an aid station.  I will eat that apple pie.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I'll bet the double-crust with picked-from-our-trees-apples apple pie

Makes mental vote to visit John during apple season sometime...

Running is dumb.

Uh oh... now what?

Apple pie?  Is there any left over, John?  I am running long on Sunday.  Thinking of using my car as an aid station.  I will eat that apple pie.

That used to be great fun on a training run with the car at a trailhead and the aid station in the trunk--come running down to the car, open trunk and pull out various leftovers for a snack before heading back out--turning to smile and say hello to walker/hikers who are looking on and wondering about...  have a good run Sunday.  We have inclement weather approaching.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I'm not saying I wouldn't or couldn't do the "drop bag thing", I'm saying it will definitely be a learning thing that I'll have to get used to if I am going to run those types of events. I've never done it, I've never had to carry anything except water during really hot and humid weather and runs longer than 45 minutes. I had no problem having my hydration belt on, and it also has a pocket for carrying fuel if and when I come to that point of needing to.

And hell, if volunteers actually do bring snacks like oreos and chips for the participants, that would make it easier to a degree.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Uh oh... now what?

We have one really weird tree out back (I should take a picture).  It blooms and gets fruit about two months after the others.  Someone did some grafting on it.  It has red apples (very good for apple sauce and pies) on one side, yellowish-green on the other (almost tasteless).  Hmmm, I could freeze a pie and... doesn't work.  Nothing leaves the island in a hurry, not even Priority Express Superfast...  sorry, maybe in the spring.

jmctav23

2/3rds training

For many ultras, you won't NEED to carry much more than water and maybe a gel or two to get you from one aid station to the next.  It's when a runner gets really picky about what they want to eat during the event that they need to carry more and organize drop bags and whatnot.  I saw lots of people carrying backpacks full of water and "stuff" in my 1st 50k when there were well stocked aid stations less than 5 miles apart; that to me seems silly, but something that is necessary on long, unsupported training runs.

I'm not saying I wouldn't or couldn't do the "drop bag thing", I'm saying it will definitely be a learning thing that I'll have to get used to if I am going to run those types of events. I've never done it, I've never had to carry anything except water during really hot and humid weather and runs longer than 45 minutes. I had no problem having my hydration belt on, and it also has a pocket for carrying fuel if and when I come to that point of needing to.

And hell, if volunteers actually do bring snacks like oreos and chips for the participants, that would make it easier to a degree.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I don't think I am picky (especially if it's oreos Big grin, I might stuff my bra with extras - give me a C- cup Big grin ). My biggest concern will be what will my stomach be able to keep down during distances like ultras (50k, 50miler, 100k and 100miler). I'll try just about anything, and find out later if my stomach didn't agree or not.

I LOVE oreos, can't have just one or two, or three or four, heck I could eat the whole row of one package.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Uh oh... now what?

I don't think I am picky (especially if it's oreos Big grin, I might stuff my bra with extras - give me a C- cup Big grin ). My biggest concern will be what will my stomach be able to keep down during distances like ultras (50k, 50miler, 100k and 100miler). I'll try just about anything, and find out later if my stomach didn't agree or not.

I LOVE oreos, can't have just one or two, or three or four, heck I could eat the whole row of one package.

Really weirdo concept -- you learn during the long runs of training what to eat--option being to ruin the paid-event day by experimenting on the course.

Birdwell

+1

I think his island kingdom is on the way to vancouver, BC. I may get detoured on our trip to visit family up there in a year or two Wink

jmctav23

2/3rds training

My biggest concern will be what will my stomach be able to keep down during distances like ultras (50k, 50miler, 100k and 100miler). 

This is what I meant by "picky runners."  People who can only handle x fuel for runs and if the race is not sponsored by that particular brand then have to carry their favorite fuel and organize it into drop bags so that they have enough for the whole race.  Lucky for me, so far my tummy is happy with gels, just about any kind will do and at most Ultras there will always be gels.

I think my main reason is/will be that I want to push myself and see how far I can go, where is my limit/wall. I love breaking barriers and proving nay-sayers wrong, I want to know what I am capable of.

Is this pushing your limits with or without water and fuel? (followup from some of your following posts about not wanting to carry things or use drop bags)

If you want to do an ultra without carrying anything or drop bags and whatever else, you might want to chose your race very carefully so the race provides these things AND you have an escape route should things go poorly.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                            MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

We have one really weird tree out back (I should take a picture).  It blooms and gets fruit about two months after the others.  Someone did some grafting on it.  It has red apples (very good for apple sauce and pies) on one side, yellowish-green on the other (almost tasteless).  Hmmm, I could freeze a pie and... doesn't work.  Nothing leaves the island in a hurry, not even Priority Express Superfast...  sorry, maybe in the spring.

I am just going to have to make a pie myself, I suppose.  My cookie baking skills are quite honed, but not my pie skills.  It could be a delicious disaster.

Running is dumb.

SillyC

This is what training during the long runs is all about - you need to practice your fueling strategy.  While you can certainly make it through an 18 mile run without any fuel whatsoever, when you're training for an ultra, you need to try shoving some things down your piehole at 1 hour.  Again at 1 hour 30 minutes, and again at 2 hours.    How much can your stomach take?  How do you have to adjust your pace?  Can you eat a whole banana or just a half of one?

And, if you're like me, you also need to practice only taking two oreos from the aid station then running away, rather than pulling up a chair and making a feast of it.

Here's my tip - while running, you'll need to take smaller bites and you'll also need to chew things better before swallowing.