Trailer Trash

running, climbing, fishing, camping, repeat (Read 36 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Not often do you get to combine several of your great loves, but I got to this last weekend.  I recently purchased a Montane Dragon 20l, a pack designed to take a small overnight kit for running and was dying to try it out.  Complicating things was the weather, the mountains got a big dump of snow and temps were well below normal.  I added a few more layers of clothing and an extra sleeping pad to offset the change in weather.  I also strapped on my fishing rod as I'd be going by several lakes that hold trout.  My DW wasn't too keen on the trip, reminding they were still looking for a missing hunter in the Crazies from last Sunday (I would later see several helicopters on the trip that were searching for the hunter, probably wondering who this crazy guy was running down the trails!)

I got started at 8:00 AM, it didn't bode well that the temperature was 27F at 5000', I knew it would be cooler at 10,000'.

climbing up, looks more like November!

the wind was howling at the pass and there was already a cornice forming over the trail

stopped and caught four nice little cutthroat, all thrown back

next stop and camp for the night, Moose Lake

I caught a nice chunky rainbow that would augment my supper

setting up camp with a bivy is pretty easy Big grin

that evening I had two bull elk bugling back and forth, they were far enough from each other no danger of a duel, the coyotes also had a good time singing when the moon came out.  not sure how cold it got, but guessing mid-20's, I was pretty snug though in the bivy (and wearing all the clothes I brought!)

a small fire and a cup of coffee is a perfect way to get the day started

I started my way back w/ a lot of good running (but several cold creek crossings!), before the big hump back over the pass

Ran into these guys on the way up

the Montane really carried well, I'll try and post up a short review w/ a few more details.  I think this genre of pack will start to pick up a bit as multi-day running/fastpacking picks up as well

nice to combine several things one enjoys, life is good

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

moonlightrunner

Wow...what an awesome outing!!

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Epic!

Just wondering where the second half of the trout was left. 

I really admire multi-day runners, it requires a whole different set of skills than just ultra running alone. I'd love to do such trips (again), too, but family has already vetoed this.

Any idea how far the run was?

Run for fun.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Wow sounds like a great two days alone... Can't believe there's snow there.  You needed to add a shot of the full pack on the back.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Danke Smile  My original plan was about 22 miles in, but that required summitting a 11,000' peak and picking my way down to a lake w/ no trail (but is rumored to hold nice golden trout Big grin), with the snow conditions at the first pass (very hard packed) and lack of traction devices (and being solo), I bagged that idea for something a little less extreme.  It was roughly 17 miles in (same out) w/ about 6000' of gain/day.

One my goals for next year is to do the Wonderland trail (around Mt Ranier) in three days (roughly 95 miles), I hope to get a bunch more multi-day runs under belt in prep for that trip.

I'll try and post up a short review of the pack (w/ pics) soon.  I think this pack would in addition to multi-day runs would also be good for unsupported long runs.  Plenty of room to throw in extra clothing, safety gear, food- at 13.5 oz, pretty svelte too.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

That sounds like an awesome weekend, Mike!  You need to smile more though Wink

Running is dumb.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

That looks like fun!  I need to try and figure out how to pitch this to SO ...I know she'd be worrying about bears the whole time (we don't have many bears around here).  Sounds like you have a nice setup for the overnight.

**Ask me about streaking**

Queen of Nothing

Sue

That sounds like an awesome weekend, Mike!  You need to smile more though Wink

I agree with Mandy...this one could be used for a whiskey ad or some other macho ad...  "Pappy Van Winkel is an essential part of my pack!" 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

LB2

That looks awesome!!. My dad and a friend of his are up there elk hunting now. I don't think they got one yet. He arrowed a nice 5x5 a couple of years ago. They are over near Helena. I hope gets one. That was some good meat, much better than whitetail.

How much of a difference do the trekking poles make?

LB2

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I agree with Mandy...this one could be used for a whiskey ad or some other macho ad...  "Pappy Van Winkel is an essential part of my pack!" 

YES!  Very macho.  He should be in an Old Spice commercial.

Running is dumb.

Occasional Runner

AT-runner

Tim

LOL - I read the post and thought,"he doesn't look too happy", and then saw all the replies.

Looks like a great trip.  What's your sleeping bag rated?  Looks like a nice place to bivy for the night.

Will look for pack review.

LB2 - For me, poles are essential for fastpacking.  The added weight of the pack can really throw off your balance, and poles give me some extra confidence to run.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

Thanks, AT.

Nice caption, Kelly.

LB2

Sandy-2

LOL on the "advertisement".

The trip looks really nice, bet the fish tasted great.

tbd.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Thanks all, I'll try and smile more Smile

LB- like AT said, they help on technical terrain- on steep uphills I'll pull them out as well, deeper fords as well.  Hope your buddy scores, elk herds are in pretty good shape this year

Kelly- I'm so glad I didn't have a mouthful of beer (I don't usually drink beer mind you)- that is f#cking hilarious!!!

Mike

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √