Trailer Trash

Hump Day Dailies (Read 39 times)

Brian Runner

Wednesday is a group trail run day at our local club, so that will be my workout this evening.

QOTD: Pass

Brian's original Trail Running Meme of the day:

LB2

I was going to do a fast 3 yesterday, but I decided to do the first hill workout to work on my climbing. I'll need to be more proficient at climbing for next year's race schedule. I spent an hour on the treadmill at 10 percent incline. I was impressed by some aspects of the first workout in this new plan, and I was not so happy with other aspects of the workout. Overall, it went very well. It sure makes you feel fast when you climb for an hour and then drop down to a flat surface for a mile.

QOTD: In the absence of mountainous terrain, what do you think is the best form of hill work?

I think the treadmill or possibly the stairmaster would be the best thing to use. Although, any hilly terrain you can find will help. I will incorporate some hill repeats on the hunting lease also.

LB2

LB2

BTW, what is that formula for vertical gain? (5280 x Y miles) (x% incline)? As such, 5280 x 3 miles = 15,840 and 15,840 x .10 = 1584 ft of vertical gain. Is that it?

LB2

Morning. Got in 7 at an 8:45 pace last night. Haven't run that "fast" in a long time! I love fall so much because my asthma quits acting up and I can run at whatever pace I like.  Also wrote a serious blog post about my running plans for 2014:

http://trailsandcocktails.blogspot.com/2013/10/spring-break-2014.html

QOTD: Hmm I guess I would say hill repeats. It's better when you have big hills but I tend to work with what I have (lame overpasses and such). Other than that, I do like the stairmaster.

Brian - I love your trail running memes!

Occasional Runner

It snowed here last night. Snow. This is total bullshit.

I snuck in a few very slow miles. My recovery is slow and frustrating.

QOTD: I don't really have a good answer, but anything is better than nothing.

jonferg67

Endless trails

Morning folks.

Thanks for support yesterday, glad I'm not shunned from the community.

5 mile loop in the cold and dark this morning, good stuff.

LB2; you may need to wait for Sandy to pop in for that equation answer.

QOTD: I would choose hill repeats over the treadmill/stairclimber.

Low_O2

3.5 miles around the hood with the dog last night. Blah, felt pretty sluggish.

LB- Yes I believe you are correct, assuming the %incline on the treadmill is the same as %grade. 10% grade should be 10ft of climbing in 100ft of horizontal distance. Since you are running up the incline, the distance will be slightly longer than the horizontal but not enough to matter at those grades. Of course I could be completely wrong...

QOTD: Not sure since I have plenty of hills to climb, but I've always thought a treadmill would work well to simulate long climbs. One could also debate if hill repeats or long uphill efforts are more beneficial. I think they are both good in different ways.

The pooch and I are back from a couple hours of mountain biking. I rode a bunch of fairly technical single track while Marley ran along. Once again Marley was an enthusiastic companion. She really seems to like this Fall weather and also seems to like it when I ride instead of run.

Wow, snow...  None of that here yet.  We are probably due to get the first frost of the season in the next few days though.

QOTD: Hill repeats on whatever shorter hills you have available, I guess.  I don't consider treadmill runs an option.  I really hate treadmill running.  Training for altitude is a bigger problem IMO since there really is no substitute for actual high altitude training.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

sugnim

Good morning.  I had my wife drop me off at work yesterday so that I had to run home.  I was able to get 7 miles in with 4 miles of that on trail, and 2 miles on a good single track trail.  I live 1.5 miles from work and there are a lot of trails nearby, so this is a good way to get in a run with minimal impact on family time in the evening.

QOTD:  I guess I never do "hill work," but I do run in the mountains for fun.  If I didn't live near the mountains, I'd run on what ever natural, outdoor terrain was available to me.  In my opinion, running on the treadmill is to trail running what spinning on a stationary bike is to mountain biking, so I wouldn't consider running on a treadmill with an incline anywhere near similar to running in the mountains.  If I really wanted to run hills, but there were no real hills or mountains nearby, I guess I'd run up & down the steep shipping docks behind some large commercial buildings.

runtraildc

Morning all!  Was up early, but decided to give my legs a rest this morning.  And then I saw it was raining lightly, so what was I even considering it- running in the rain?!?  I'll get in a few miles tonight with younger DS.  He's 'training' for a trail 5K in early November.  It'll be fun.

qotd- don't have much to add.  I've always lived with hills to run

Just remember, Jon, we're not all ultra-runners here.  I'm impressed by all efforts exceeding 13 miles, whatever the outcome.  You'll get it next time.

jonferg67

Endless trails

Just remember, Jon, we're not all ultra-runners here.  I'm impressed by all efforts exceeding 13 miles, whatever the outcome.  You'll get it next time.

You're absolutely right. It's all relative, and if we compare ourselves to lace_up we're all a bunch of slouches.

I love the act of running, and it's actually kinda cool to still have goals not yet reached.

valerienv

Thread killer ..

Morning folks.

5 mile loop in the cold and dark this morning, good stuff.

The ability to get up in the cold and dark and run makes you pretty hardcore to me .

QOTD: No opinion, typical of the West we have endless hill/mountain climbs .

Occasional Runner

You're absolutely right. It's all relative, and if we compare ourselves to lace_up we're all a bunch of slouches.

I love the act of running, and it's actually kinda cool to still have goals not yet reached.

For what it's worth, I have a profound respect for all trail runners, no matter what distance they run. None of it is easy and we all struggle with the same things. That's why I like this forum so much. We have a genuine outlet for advice and support within a community of our own design.

LB2

LB- Yes I believe you are correct, assuming the %incline on the treadmill is the same as %grade. 10% grade should be 10ft of climbing in 100ft of horizontal distance. Since you are running up the incline, the distance will be slightly longer than the horizontal but not enough to matter at those grades. Of course I could be completely wrong...

Thanks. I'm going with it. It can't hurt. It isn't that I don't have any hills; we actually have places nearby that are much hillier than one might think. But I think that, given my goals for 2014, sustained climbs will be very beneficial, regardless of the exact accuracy of vertical gain.

LB2

Daydreamer1

Not sure yet what I'm going to do. I was thinking about doing 8-10 on the road, but I might just do a hard workout on the bike trainer followed by a hill climb routine on the elliptical. It's cool and damp out side and I'm being a real wuss Dead  about going outside for some reason.

QOTD: There are some runners from Florida that come to Pa every year for one of our very hilly, technical  marathons. Some of them swear by walking lunges. I have hills to train on, and last year when I added some walking lunges it trashed my legs but seemed like it made me a better climber on the steep stuff. I'd be more concerned about finding a way to train the legs for long downhills. That's what kills my legs and I have no advice to give in that department other then trying to find some steps to run down repeatedly.