Trailer Trash

Mondailies (Read 30 times)

The pooch and I had another great 6 mile trail run.  Depending on the terrain it ranged from nice and cool to sticky.  It is amazing how much the lay of the land affects that.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

strength training this evening, bike commute to work

qotd: do you (or have you) tried hot yoga?  an interesting article in Trail Running magazine about it, my DW wife has done it and thought it would be beneficial for runners- I'm thinking about trying it (although I tend to suffer in the heat)

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

DigDug2

SRD.  Had a couple of good long trail runs this weekend (although Sunday was a little too humid and deer fly-ish).

QOTD:  I have never done yoga at any temperature, and it's not on my short list.

muppy

Plan on 4 or so after work.

QOTD I do regular yoga and sweat like a pig. I was talking about this with the yoga teacher and she tried to delicately say it's a fad and it's probably not good to get that dehydrated. And realistically could you imagine  stinky yoga farts in a  95-100° room?

Sandy-2

SRD.  A planned day off plus it's supposed to be really hot today.

qotd: Haven't done yoga and don't plan to, but sometimes I think some of the stuff we do in our Wednesday Core Training class has some yoga-ish elements to it.

tbd.

Occasional Runner

Good morning, Trailers!

I got in 6 rolling trail miles this morning. My legs are a bit sore from my race but I ran the hills well, so I'm encouraged. The pup got boarded over the weekend, so it was a rare solo run. I find myself feeling VERY guilty when I run without her. She lives for our morning trail runs. We'll be reunited this evening.

QOTD: I've never had an interest in doing yoga.

Watoni

Probably nothing today.

I did a decent ride yesterday, and got my first real trail run in Saturday. Ankle is still a bit wonky, and my running fitness sucks, but it was great to get out.

QOTD: Hot yoga? No thank you. I do not do yoga normally, but did use it to rehab a shoulder injury and it worked well.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Trying to ramp up my courage to go for a run up the hills. 2000+ ft planned.

My endurance training is going well, I got less than 3 hours of sleep last night, got up early to work (on my feet) before 4, and now I should go for my run. No excuses, ok, I got that.

QOTD: No, never have. In the olden days, we used to take to the sauna after our cardio workouts, though, for some afterburn, and to recover.

Worked well for me, I liked it. But during a workout? Na, I rather go for a heat run instead.

Run for fun.

jonferg67

Endless trails

We had a nice weekend on Martha's Vineyard, got in some trail miles on both days, totally flat.

SRD today.

QOTD: My DW's sister is a hot yoga teacher, but I have no interest.

Daydreamer1

At work for 12 hours today so it's a SRD for me.

QOTD: Never had much interest in Yoga and don't really even know exactly what hot Yoga is. I presume it's doing it in a very hot room. Doesn't sound like something I'd be interested in. I have tried to incorperate some Pilates moves into my work outs

LB2

I'll do some climbing at the gym after work.

QOTD: No. We don't really have anything thing that is close enough to where I live to make it a reasonable option. But, I probably wouldn't do it if we did. I do, however, think it is a valuable to core strength.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

SRD today.

When DW and I finished up our run yesterday, another runner came in about 2 minutes after us.  His girlfriend and dog were waiting at the trailhead for his group. He said he lost the guys he was running with when they made a wrong turn off the AT.  They were doing a point to point 15 miler.  We went looking for the other runners, but couldn't find them and when we got back to the trailhead, the runner and his girlfriend were gone.  We thought end of story until last night when DW saw this post on a local running club FB page...

Just wanted to share this. I planned a 15 mile run today on the AT for today. We had 5 people several of us were experienced runners with a few ultras under our belts and 2 newer runners with maybe 2 years of running. One of our more experienced runners over the last few days became dehydrated or maybe a little under trained , not sure. At around 12 or 13 miles in my friends run, he began having signs of severe dehydration. I'm thinking he was sharing his drinks with his dog in the last 5 mile leg and may have under estimated his fluid intake. He fell behind but was running with his girl the last 5 mile leg so no one really noticed. 3 of us were chilling in the creek at Caledonia and were wondering where the 2 were. I back tracked feeling tired not wanting to run back up the hill and started yelling where are you? I saw Nikki but no Eric. She said he was half a mile back and needed an ambulance.

Cutting to the end, we had to get an ambulance and Eric was having a life experience he will never forget. His body was shutting down. He could not open his right hand. His leg was becoming immobile and severe cramping! One of the first people who helped us had a bag of ice but he couldn't even keep it in his mouth.We used it to cool him down. His eyes were blood shot losing body functions screaming in pain from cramps and beginning to pass out. Eyes twitching rolling back in his and passing out.His pulse was weak and blood pressure was dropping. This is an experienced runner with a few ultras under his belt and in his mid 30s basically in good condition but dehydrated. Eric is on of my best friends. When I helped him on the stretcher into the ambulance I wasn't sure if I would ever see him alive again.

We got the cars ,the dogs and went to Chambersburg Hospital. They hooked him up with an iv actually about 3 of them.I am so glad we didn't loose him today. If I have 2 best friends he is one of them.

I am a terrible writer but I wanted to keep everyone aware of the importance of hydration in the heat this time of year. I have been running for about 15 years and have never been in this situation ever with anyone!

Have fun and be safe.

Sounds like fluid and electrolytes were off.  It really wasn't all that bad of a day yesterday, but this guy got in over his head as this section of the AT is all climbs and rocks.  

QOTD:  DD#1 teaches Yoga, and said most people don't like the Hot Yoga because they sweat too much.  It's been around since he 70's as a way to replicate Yoga conditions in India.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Queen of Nothing

Sue

5 and some loose change with Earl this morning...

Qotd:  No I hate stretching and just think yoga would be boring "holding that poise." Although I am positive it is good for you but I think the hot part is a wee bit silly and only make you more dehydrated.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

LB2

AT: I have seen quite a few people have issues with heat stroke, dehydration, altitude sickness, etc. I have had at least two times when I have had issues that could have been serious. Also, I have a friend who really got into a fix yesterday in a remote area near here that has similar terrain to the AT, if you can believe that exists in SW Mississippi. Anyway, he got out of there by keeping his wits about him and slowly making his way back to the trail head. It can happen fast, with little warning. I am glad your buddy is okay.

LB2

QOTD: No, never really had any interest in yoga.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida