Trail Runners

Dirty Trail Runners Monthly (Come One, Come All!) - Nov. 2009 (Read 598 times)

Happy

Rattlesnakes (and other snakes) make me nervous too. I don't suppose the environment here is as wild and hazardous as what you describe. We certainly don't have Mountain Lions, not to mention the lack of Mountains. The trail I do most of my training on is very safe as there are quite a few people on it most of the day. I guess that's why I like it - it feels safe to me while I can still enjoy being in nature.

_

When I feel insecure out there I think of it as a trade-off; there is nothing in life that is completely safe anyway. I am no doubt missing out on some great experiences by always running on the same safe trails. I look forward to experiencing some different things while participating in Ultra Trail Runs next year.

_

PerfesserR, There was recently a story that hit the National News of two trail runners having gone missing while on a run in the Mountains (West Coast). They had become separated while running - the man made it back to Civilization while still in good health while the female became dehydrated and lost and was prepared to die out there. She was rescued in time to survive, but barely. Can't remember her name - it may have been one of the two you mentioned. She was an experienced and accomplished ultra trail runner according to the News.

-

I guess we as trail runners do put ourselves in some situations that are potentially dangerous. I understand and completely agree that it makes sense to run with a partner or in a group when exposing oneself to situations or environments that are risky and potentially hazardous in terms of life/death. 

-

My husband wants me to run with a cell phone when I go out. I have not been willing to carry one as it is a little heavy to me - however, I have purchased a Nathan Vest that has a pocket that would hold it and I think I may start to carry it, especially when I venture off the beaten path. 

_

Happy running you all!!

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB

...---...

Is this a trip for business or pleasure?

Business. I found a park with a loop, pavement unfortunately. I'm thinking I'll hit up a section of the trails north of the golden gate bridge on Thursday. I should have a couple hours of daylight left over to run around.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

...---...

Sad stories like that of Meredith Emerson (Google her name if you're interested) have made it impossible for DW to run by herself on the great trails around here. Sad but true. And she had a dog.

That Hilton guy - what a wack job. Union County isn't too far from either of us. Things like this are why the Appalachian Trail scares me.

I gotta find some trail running buddies.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

under a rock

I've been getting lots of trail running in lately, I haven't run off trails in almost two weeks. Over Thanksgiving I got a change of scenery when we went to Michigan to visit DH's family. I found a park with mountain bike trails and cross-country ski trails. It was a nice change from my rough trails here at home. I was able to keep up a faster pace and even got in some fartleks since the trails were so flat compared to here.

_

I wish I had some trail running buddies that I could run with more. I have one that we get together once a month for a run. The only people I run with regularly aren't trail runners and I only run with them on my one non trail day. I do most of my running in the morning when my toddler is at preschool.

I recently got nervous about running alone when a women's body was found at Kings Mountain State Park in SC where I go for longer runs. I stressed all that week about if I should go there to run or not. After talking with dh we decided that running there was just as safe as running at the greenway in town. Turns out she was killed elsewhere, actually in my town in NC, and dumped in the park in SC. I like running there trails because they have a  log book so I can check in and give them all my info then I check back in when I'm done, no other trails I run have that.

Imminent Catastrophe

I haven't been trail running for a long time except for one 12-mile race. Today I decided to hit the trails again, hoping it would not beat up my legs as much as the roads. I explored a new (to me) section and it kicked my butt! Lots of ups and downs, downed trees, etc. I'd forgotten how much tougher an "easy" trail run is! It was 6.1 miles at a blazing 13:50 pace with quite a bit of power-walking up the steeper climbs. And a good leg workout. But, it was fun!

I'm actually feeling it more than my HM last Thursday and that was a pretty good effort. 

MTA: For those of you who use GPS watches to measure distance, be aware that they typically measure short on technical trails because of the vertical distance (GPS only measures horizontal distance) and "cutting corners" on switchbacks. This trail (and my 12-mile race) have been reliably measured with wheels and are actually a little longer than the GPS distance, up to 5% longer. That's not a lot, but it's good to know.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Happy

I haven't been trail running for a long time except for one 12-mile race. Today I decided to hit the trails again, hoping it would not beat up my legs as much as the roads. I explored a new (to me) section and it kicked my butt! Lots of ups and downs, downed trees, etc. I'd forgotten how much tougher an "easy" trail run is! It was 6.1 miles at a blazing 13:50 pace with quite a bit of power-walking up the steeper climbs. And a good leg workout. But, it was fun!

I'm actually feeling it more than my HM last Thursday and that was a pretty good effort. 

MTA: For those of you who use GPS watches to measure distance, be aware that they typically measure short on technical trails because of the vertical distance (GPS only measures horizontal distance) and "cutting corners" on switchbacks. This trail (and my 12-mile race) have been reliably measured with wheels and are actually a little longer than the GPS distance, up to 5% longer. That's not a lot, but it's good to know.

Sounds like you enjoyed that trail run - hope your legs held up?!

_

Thank you for letting me know about the Garmin inaccurancy. I had that happen to me in Lynch's Wood. Is that considered a technical trail? Certainly many ups and downs and twists and turns. 

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB
                GPS watches are also ATROCIOUS at accurately calculating cumulative elevation gain.  They can be off by a factor of 5-6 or more. 

Imminent Catastrophe

Yes, elevation is very inaccurate, but I was addressing distance measurements, which tend to be long on road courses but short on trails.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Yes, I know you were... my comment was just an addendum to that.