Swim Bike Run

Albany Sprint Tri RR -- not (Read 74 times)

Short version -- DNF Long version: Unseasonably cold temps in Oregon produced the first April snowstorm, like, ever. 750y pool swim went OK -- 19:08 (yeah, I know I'm slow). This is my worst event, but I was up and out of that water like a shot. It's always a rush to get out of the pool and start mowing people down. Yes T1 fine and fast. Due to the weather, most people changed inside, in the locker room or whatever. I had no time for these social bunnies and sprinted to the bike. Over my trisuit I put on a zipper jersey, and also added thick cycling gloves and a headband. Yeah, it was cold, like 35 degrees. I passed 7 or 8 people on the bike and one woman passed me (grrr). It sleeted, rained, sunshined, and hailed. I could barely see one of the many turns due to the hail in my face, but once I rounded the turn (swearing), the hail was behind me and all was fine. The hail soon stopped, thank goodness. I placed at the 50th percentile in the bike portion (last year, bottom 20th!). My fingers, despite the gloves, grew numb and my toes as well. Ouch! Coming into T2 I was vexed due to all 4 extremities being numb. I tugged at my shoe buckles in vain...couldn't get them off! Kept trying and trying, all bent over, and my abdomen cramped up horribly (hard to explain -- it's from a surgery a long time ago). Each time I tried to take another stab at my shoes, the cramp intensified. Cripes. I stood up, I sat down, nothing worked. So I walked off the course and called it a day. In retrospect...I could have stopped, maybe gone inside to sit down and get uncramped, then come back out for the run. What would I have lost -- 5 minutes? Big deal. The lesson to myself is...transitions and races in general sometimes involve delays. Maybe it's a portapotty stop, a side stitch or a flat tire. It's OK! Be calm, Econo, deal with it and don't panic. Then keep going! Edited to add: I looked at my race results and woulda gotten 2nd/4 in my AG and possibly 1st if I had completed the run portion. Angry Time to HTFU.

The voice of mile 18

sorry about the race that is some pretty nasty conditions to try and race in. hope you are feeling better and glad your learning from it and not beating yourself up

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy