Swim Bike Run

Another newbie question. Bike Pumps 101 (Read 166 times)

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

I purchased this beginner road bike http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/road/1243/29271/ and needed to buy a pump for it. I went to dicks and bought a bike pump but did not know about the different size air valves. Should this one work on my bike http://www.amazon.com/Avenir-AirSource-Mini-Bike-Silver/dp/B00165Q4DA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1211890331&sr=8-1 ? If so should I be using the smaller valve or the bigger one. I get the feeling I should be using the smaller hole (Presta). Do you guys/gals always inflate your tires before going out on the road? Do you just give a few pumps and feel the tire or do you actually check the air pressure. If so how do I know what the air pressure should be. Can you tell I am really new to this? Should my bike have come with some sort of manual. I bought it at a Bike shop.
      2011 Goals:
      Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
      Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
      Do what I did -- take your new bike pump to the bike shop and ask them to help you. I felt like an idiot but they were patient and helpful. The bike shop people realize quickly that I'll be back later to buy more gear from them (cycling gloves, etc., etc.). It's not just good business for them (at the bike shop, not a big chain store like Dicks), it's almost a religion. They want more people to be cyclists just like them, and are eager to get you going. At this point I can't tell you what kind of valve I have without describing it (it has a little scew thingy on the tip), but I can inflate my tires to 100 psi prior to a race. Yes
      GP160

yes, use the little hole....the big one is for mountain bikes, ect. I always inflate my tires before riding. It can help prevent a flat if you have full capacity. I try to get 120 PSI before a long ride....just me though.. I would carry CO2 canisters instead of hand pump...quicker and cheap too.
        Ironman Louisville 8-30-09
        ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

The tire should have a max inflation rating stamped on the side so you should inflate it to that number or slightly below.

Tri-Kev Here are my favorite links:
          My "kick @ss" running club ;)

Swim 2.4 miles.
          Ride 112 miles.
          Run 26.2 miles.
          Then brag for the rest of your life.
          -Commander John Collins, Ironman Triathlon creator

IMKY13 finish!!

I went to dicks and bought a bike pump but did not know about the different size air valves. Should this one work on my bike http://www.amazon.com/Avenir-AirSource-Mini-Bike-Silver/dp/B00165Q4DA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1211890331&sr=8-1 ?
            Does that pump attach to your bike? I want to get one that attaches to the bike frame, but don't want to spend a fortune on it.

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

Cashmason

Yes that bike pump should attach to the frame. I have a pump like it and it attaches to the frame. It does not have a gauge on it though to measure tire pressure. I bought a 30 dollar floor pump that stays in the garage. It has a gauge on it. Most bike tires will have recommended tire pressure stamped right on the side of them. Most road bikes use the small presta valve, also called a French valve. Most road bikes have a recommended pressure of 100 - 130 pounds with the most common being 120 pounds. A few pounds more or less than that is ok. Mountain bikes use the fatter American valve and are more like 80 pounds pressure. Presta valves you have to take off the cap and then spin the little brass knob up to the top before you can add air. When done spin the brass valve back down. You don't spin the knob, you don't wind up with air inside the tire. Many bike pumps will have one side for presta and one side for the fat valve. You can also buy bike pumps that use CO2 canisters. Buy the pump at the bike shop, and get the one without threads. Buy the canisters much more cheaply at Wal Mart. Usually where they sell the BB Guns. But the canister is usually a use it once and its done. The pump pokes a hole in the canister and all the co2 comes out. Its much faster than than a hand pump, but if you make a mistake its gone. Most cyclists carry a couple of canisters, in case they screw up using the first one.
              RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

"Presta valves you have to take off the cap and then spin the little brass knob up to the top before you can add air. When done spin the brass valve back down. You don't spin the knob, you don't wind up with air inside the tire." Wow this is great I will give it a tri (get it) tonight! It is the little things that you guys take for granted that I have to learn still.
                  2011 Goals:
                  Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
                  Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)