Swim Bike Run

Biathlon (Read 147 times)

GP160

Completed my first ever Biathlon in LBI NJ yesterday. The bike sucked....windy as hell! The run was hot and boring. Nothing like running past mail box after mail box. Not to mention that my sad little road bike was severely outnumbered my fancy disc wheel things and tri bikes galore! (((shame))) I wasn't last...but close to it! New goals: 1) get a fancy tri bike 2) get a fancy helmet 3) get matching shoes & outfit 4) win the lottery to afford fancy things
    Ironman Louisville 8-30-09

The voice of mile 18

bike envy isn't pretty. it's amazing how $ you put out for a fancy schmancy bike Shocked I suck on the bike and can't justify buying a really good one - i don't want to be "that" guy with expensive bike who everyone passes. congrats on the Du ! (biathlon is the ski/shooting event)

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

GP160

If it is supposed to be called a du, why do they call it a bi? makes no sense....

The voice of mile 18

I dunno I guess "bi" is hotter Wink there was confusion about bi the winter sport and bi the run/bike thing so they came up with duathlon thingy. guess this RD didn't get the memo or isn't as anal

GP160

well thats just dumb! Tongue
              LOL! I was looking for the marksmanship report! If you never need to hire an assassin in winter, find a biathlete. OK, is it just my impression, GB, or are duathletes deadly serious? I was shocked at their times when I researched the results of a recent Du here. Surprised I still feel like a poser with my aerobars, however. Out of pure shame, I ride fast. There is glory in having a clunker bike, racing in a cotton t-shirt, and a white commuter-type helmet....and passing people with cervelo wheels & such. Yes
              GP160

They were super serious. Pretty scary. Oh well... live and learn.

The voice of mile 18

LOL! I was looking for the marksmanship report! If you never need to hire an assassin in winter, find a biathlete. OK, is it just my impression, GB, or are duathletes deadly serious? I was shocked at their times when I researched the results of a recent Du here. Surprised I still feel like a poser with my aerobars, however. Out of pure shame, I ride fast. There is glory in having a clunker bike, racing in a cotton t-shirt, and a white commuter-type helmet....and passing people with cervelo wheels & such. Yes
                  My A race in the fall is du and really hope these guys/gals don't take themselves too seriously that's just soo annoying it's a frigging game not the tour de france

Cashmason

If you ever look it up, those 2000 dollar race wheels are good for about 40 seconds faster over an hour ride than regular wheels. The 150 dollar helmet that makes you look like an outer space alien is good for about 45 seconds over an hour race. And all your friends and neighbors can make fun of you. Is finishing a minute and a half faster worth a couple thousand bucks to you? If you got the income great. But the difference is not as much as people think it is. On the other hand a lot of people who put out that kind of money are pretty serious about their training, and that is where the real time improvent comes. That and technique. Getting into an aero position and keeping it for an hour will save something like 5 minutes. Keeping your elbows tucked in rather than flared out, and keeping the knees close to the top tube rather than pointing out at 45 degree angle from the bike is another huge time saver. A good engine ( legs and lungs) on an average bike will beat a great bike and average engine. Thats why Econo can kick ass. Granted two guys who train the same, the guy with the better bike will win, but lots of guys out there won't train as much or as smart as you can.
                    GP160

Good point! So its not my bike, but my fat ass and lack of training that keep me behind. lol Go figure! Surprised
                        Hi Cash! Big grin
                        AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/sports/triathlon/section-11.html That seems to say that if it is run/bike/run it is duathlon, if it is any other bike & run combo it is biathlon. I've been told that biathlons for bike & run are generally run/bike/run. I haven't done any biathlons of any type, only a single ( run/bike/run) duathlon, so I'm only relaying things I've heard. (Edited: Typo/wrong order first time I typed the message)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Cashmason

Duathlons are normally run bike run.