Swim Bike Run

Would you pull a double, given this training? (Read 154 times)

In a fit of marathon taper anxiety, I signed up for a Sprint tri the same weekend (May25/26) of an Oly I had signed up for previously. I did that because I feel that I'm unprepared for the Oly. However, now that I'm signed up for both...and the marathon anxiety is over...I'm thinking "hey, why not do both?" Background (edited from yesterday): Swimming I did a 2000y swim today (monday) and it went fine Biking experience so far this year: No rides over 15 miles this season, but 2 sprint tri's and one duathlon of 12 miles in last 5 weeks. The bike portion of the Oly is 40K. Running, fine. The Oly is open water in a freezing cold lake, 1500y. I mean it's going to be about 60 degrees, and the air temp is likely to be in the 50's. The Sprint (the following day) is at an indoor pool (750y). (whew)

The voice of mile 18

um you probably could finish but it wouldn't be pretty nor would the sprint the next day. sorry.

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

OK, yes...maybe if I just tell myself to "first time" the oly (just finish it, easy does it), I can make the decision whether or not to do the sprint the following morning. I hate the thought of wasting an entry fee. The big unknown is the bike.

The voice of mile 18

the bike and run you can bluff- i.e. you can coast/walk if you have to. the swim isn't a good idea sure you can float or tread water but it is much more dangerous. have you ever swum a mile straight before?

well, 2000y in the pool this morning -- just found the rhythm and it went OK. Yes, I stopped at the end of the lengths but only for a second or 2, then plunged back in. (it only sounds like I'm not listening, joe_h, but I am; thanks for the feedback)

The voice of mile 18

very cool. I want you go out and enjoy whatever race(s) you do. my .02 you can probably do the oly but am not sure if in the middle of it you develop an elaborate plan to find me, kill me and use my carcass as a pinata. if you decide to do the double do it because you want to and don't expect world class performances in either races. good luck and HAVE FUN!

OK, here's my plan. The water temp for the oly is 65 degrees; yuck, brrr, but do-able. Announce loudly to everyone "this is my first oly EVER so my only goal is to finish." And "hey kayak guy, please keep an eye on me...I'm not sure if I can swim that far." During the oly, treat it like an easy long run....easy does it. Enjoy the novelty of wearing a wetsuit. Be like those ladies during T1 and T2 who stop to have a meal, chat with pals, etc. This will be my benchmark and next year I can smash my course record. Rest all day afterwards (hooray for 3-day weekends). The next morning decide whether or not to do the sprint tri. If so, give it my best shot.

The voice of mile 18

sounds good. but I think maybe make the decision before you got to bed cause I never want to do anything when I'm in a nice warm cozy bed. good luck and have fun

Cashmason

How did it go Econo?
                      Not bad! Not bad at all! goofy fun, in fact. I did the Oly at 90% -- admired the scenery, said hello to doggies, etc. The swim portion was a nightmare, however. There was one big wave of 106 people. I hung at the back at the start so I wouldn't get run over. Good choice. The water was pure mud when I plunged in, and 65 degrees. A shock. My feet went numb. I pullled to the right consistently, so I had to constantly correct course. I did a lot of pausing and dog paddling (oh, the shame!). It took over 47 minutes before the 1500y swim was finally over. I started the bike with numb feet and it took over an hour for them to warm up (I had toe warmers inside my shoes, too!). The 10K run was super! I felt strong and happy. In a tough crowd (everyone looked so serious and athletic), I came in 3rd/4 in my age group, so I'm delighted. This morning's sprint tri went very well! The pool swim was OK, not terrifying. I found my rhythm quickly and just got it done. The bike was harder -- my legs were sort of shot from yesterday, and I had to stop TWICE to put my errant chain back on. I rocked the 5K run in 24:09, just 5 seconds slower than my PR.... I also eliminated 3 age group competitors on the run, ending up with 2nd place out of 9 in my age group; hooray! So, I'm pretty wiped out now. No workouts tomorrow.

The voice of mile 18

awesome!!

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

Woohoo!!! Great job!

Tri-Kev Here are my favorite links:
                          My "kick @ss" running club ;)

Swim 2.4 miles.
                          Ride 112 miles.
                          Run 26.2 miles.
                          Then brag for the rest of your life.
                          -Commander John Collins, Ironman Triathlon creator

Cashmason

Great stuff Econo. I am thinking you are going to shatter your 5k pr in your next stand alone race, if the course is flat and weather is good.
                              Cash, I'm planning to do so. There's a 5K on June 7th -- I think that's my opportunity, before the weather warms up.
                              Cashmason

You are in freaking Oregon. You have two seasons, wet and raining, or underwater. Hot? pffftttt. ( Yes my brother is in Portland, I know it can get to 100 degrees in the summer, just giving you a ration).