Swim Bike Run

My first duathlon (Read 230 times)

IMKY13 finish!!

I am participating in my first duathlon in June. Does anyone have any good training plans out there? Thanks!!

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

GP160

yeah, get a fancy bike...seems to help! Wink
      Ironman Louisville 8-30-09

IMKY13 finish!!

yeah, get a fancy bike...seems to help! Wink
        you buying it for me Big grin

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

IMKY13 finish!!

well, I think I'm ready for my first duathlon on Sunday...ready as I'll ver be I guess. I've done a few brick work-outs, and I think I'm ready. I think I'll do okay time wise. I just don't know how my time on the bike will be. You see, all around my house (were I bike), it's very hilly...the course Sunday is flat. So I am thinking my time will be faster/betterthan all my training rides that I've done. I'm thinking about 3 minutes total in transition area, so I'm shooting for about 1:15:00 (run two miles, bike 10, run 2). We shall soon see.

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

Exellent! Please report back, OK? Tell us how it went. I have a du tomorrow (sunday), too. I made the mistake of choosing the longer du (5K, 40Kbike, 10K), which means all the Serious Athletes will be in it. Shocked
            ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

Paul and Econo, Good luck to both of you! I'm looking forward to your RR's

Tri-Kev Here are my favorite links:
              My "kick @ss" running club ;)

Swim 2.4 miles.
              Ride 112 miles.
              Run 26.2 miles.
              Then brag for the rest of your life.
              -Commander John Collins, Ironman Triathlon creator

IMKY13 finish!!

Exellent! Please report back, OK? Tell us how it went.
                Okay, so I completed my first duathlon yesterday (2 mile run, 10 mile bike, 2 mile run). My official time was 1:15:27. My goal was 1:15:00, so I only missed it by 27 seconds. Here is how I did… First 2 mile run 16:40 (8:20 per mile pace) First transition 1:14 10 mile bike 38:07 (3:49 per mile pace or 15.74 MPH) Second transition 0:43 Second 2 mile run 18:45 (9:23 per mile pace) I got off to a great start (by my standards at least). My legs felt great though out the first run segment, and I was quite pleased when I hit the mile mark in 8:15. Then it was onto the transition area…threw my helmet & gloves on and walked thru the transition (although most were running with their bikes to mount/dismount line). The bike ride was a bit tougher than I thought…although it was flat. My legs were really getting tired around the 4 mile mark. I keep pedaling away, going thru different gear combinations…looking for that “perfect” setting. I kept pedaling away…looking for that elusive turnaround point (something physiological when you are more than half way there). I took a right hand turn at about the 8.5 mile point and there it was…a hill, about 30-40 feet over about 75-80 yards in length (which I didn’t know was there). My legs were burning as I approached the crest of the hill. But what goes up…must come down!!! And I took the downward glide, rested my tired legs a bit…and then rode hard to the finish of the bike segment. Then I got out there for the second two mile run and my legs felt like “brick spaghetti”…wobbly and heavy at the same time. The run was on a wide open field and the sun was shining brightly with heat (about 80 degrees) & high humidity. I had to take a couple of walk breaks (between heat & tired legs), but was still able to maintain a 9:23 pace. Then, there is was…the finish line!!! I crossed that finish line with my fists pumped into the air. Boy, have I come a long way!!! For someone who used to be over 300 pounds and now finishing my first duathlon in 1:15:27….very rewarding...and I thank the Lord for getting me across that finish line.

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

this is SO COOL! Congratulations, duathlete! I'm wondering, with the heat/humidity -- did you drink gatorade or anything during the race?

IMKY13 finish!!

this is SO COOL! Congratulations, duathlete! I'm wondering, with the heat/humidity -- did you drink gatorade or anything during the race?
                    They had a water/gatorade station at the one mile mark of the run (the turnaround point for the run actually). The first time I went my the station I just drank some water. I had water & some gu during my first transition. OF course, I drank some water a few times during the bike part (from water bottle on the bike). On my second run segment, I did get some water & gatorade at the station at the turnaround point of the run. I am thinking I need to have another bottle holder on my bike, so I can have some sports drinks during my bike rides as well. The other thing I need to do if I am going to do more duathlons and/or triathlons is get a real bike. The bike I used was a five year old mountain bike. I want to use it more to see if biking is something I really want to get into before dropping some money on a good bike (if I do...I know I'll do better in the bike portions).

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

Sounds like you got both water & electrolytes; perfect for the conditions you were racing in! Last year I did a couple of tri's which had mountain bike divisions (thank goodness), but then I did a tri where there was no MB division and I swore "never again" -- the disadvantage is really aggravating. I'm happy with the roadbike I bought -- not a real tri-bike but one that you can add aerobars to.

IMKY13 finish!!

I'm happy with the roadbike I bought -- not a real tri-bike but one that you can add aerobars to.
                        What type of bike did you get?

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

I got a Specialized Transition. I got it in 2007 but it was a 2006 model so it was cheep. Yes The saddle was crummy so I replaced that right away.