Swim Bike Run

My 1st tri - Gatorade Tri Series 07/08 (Read 180 times)

Hi guys I am enrolled in my first tri on March 30th which is race 6 of the Gatorade Sprint series in Melbourne Australia, the course is your typical sprint race 750m/20km/5km. http://www.supersprint.com.au/ Any tips on what to expect, what to wear and how to go about my first race? It will be still early autumn (fall) in Melbourne so was not going to wear a wetty, just some tri shorts. The idea of trying rip of a wetsuit in transition is way to daunting. My expectations at the moment are just to finish the race. I am pretty confident with the bike and run with the swim being my only concern. I have only done one ocean swim as a practice so far and hope to get 2-3 more in before the big day. Thanks in advance
    Cashmason

Sounds like you have a plan. Get in as many open water swims as you can. When you get out of the water practice getting into your bike stuff. You will find that putting on a shirt and socks while wet is difficult. I don't care how much you towel off, it will still be hard. Also practice biking for half hour to an hour and then run a kilometer. Your legs will feel wonky for the first half kilometer or so. After that you will be fine. You just want your legs to know what it feels like so you dont freak out on race day. And get up to race speed right off the bike. If your swim is in sea water, you want to be familiar with the salt taste, and how to get it out of your mouth once you are out of the water. You will want a race belt. They are cheap around 10 dollars US. You don't want to have a race bib on you in the water, but you will need it on the run. Sometimes the race director wants the number on you while you ride too. It is just an elastic belt with clips for the holes in the race bib. The ones with the bungie cord fasteners works better for me than the ones with the plastic buttons. When you start the swim, everyone will be jumbled together. It is pretty common for hands and elbows to hit you as they all thrash around in the water. No one is trying to hurt you, they are just all moving arms and legs as fast as they can next to dozens of bodies. When you practice in open water, practice looking up every few strokes to sight the buoy. Then back to face in the water. Its really easy to swim a lot farther than you need too, by swimming off course. Welcome to tri's. Most races require you to wear a bike helmet, and you have to have it on and buckled before you get on the bike. " On your left" means someone wants to pass you on your left. So move to your right. You say the same thing when you want to pass. Since you are in Oz, you may say right instead of left. Check with your local athletes down there. Saw someone crash at the UCLA tri last week end since they didn't know what it meant, they got confused when someone passed them, and they rode right into a hedge.
        I f you are are uncomfortable swimming in a mass start, start on the outside and swim at a angle towards the turn bouy. For example if the swim goes in a clockwise direction start on far leftt side of the pack. You will swim a few extra yards but you will have a much better swim than if you get beat up in the pack.

The voice of mile 18

have you done any "Bricks" yet? Bricks are a bike run followed immediately by a run - sounds easier than it is. do a couple of these before the big day to get your body used to the sudden transition of blood flow from cycling muscles to running muscles. stay relaxed on the big day and try to focus on finishing with a smile. good luck and have fun

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Thanks guys for all the advice. Sorry for the slow response but have been pretty busy Did a bike then a run on Sunday (20k and 5k) and was the hardest 5kms of my life, legs like lead for first 10 mins but kinda got in do it towards the end. Also did a swim then a ride this morning so starting to put a couple together. Been training pretty hard so i should be OK, my only worry now is I have started couple of weeks to early. Have really been struggling to do back to back days of late and its still over two weeks to race day but I think i should be OK. Not trying to break any records on my first go. Will post results and any pictures when I have them. Cheers Jeeza
              Hi guys, completed the tri on the weekend and have posted a report under the race results forum title "10 years on, my first triathlon" Or try this link. It may or may not work. Thanks agian for your help, Joe_H, i should have done more brick, my legs collapsed when I got of the bike Big grin http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/da83e057f9724442b76e060f6201278d
                Thanks for the arrow, hixsta -- I'll go read it. Congratulations on your first tri!