Swim Bike Run

are bike shoes much faster? (Read 182 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Are bike shoes that much faster that it's worth changing shoes twice?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

The voice of mile 18

w/ bike shoes you use all the pedal stroke not just the downstroke I may not be all that much faster but I'm using less energy especially on hills

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

protoplasm72

Changing shoes only adds 10 - 15 seconds to my transition time but I feel it saves me a lot more time then that over the entire bike course.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I put on toeclips (after midnight of the night before my first tri -- dumb timing) b/c of the whole upstroke argument, so I get some energy transfer in the upstroke, right? How much more efficient would clip-ons be than toe-clips?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

TRIing to beat the heat!

In terms of energy transfer, you will definitely benefit by riding in cycling shoes and clipless pedals. Toe clips will help and definitely go with them if they are your only option right now, but seriously consider moving into using a shoe/pedal system. Is it a pain to change shoes twice? A bit. However, with practice... you can eventually master the snazzy T1 mount with your shoes already clipped in. So basically you exit the swim, put on your helmet, and exit the transition area. Mount the bike, start pedaling and then get your fit situated into your shoes. You can do the same thing on the dismount OR you can dismount regularly and just change out of your shoes before you put your running shoes on. Lots of options! No matter, though, cycling shoes + pedals will only help... never hurt.

2012 Goals

Sub-1:42 for half marathon √ (1:41 at Disney, Jan '12)

Sub-22 for 5k √ (21:51 in Sept '12)

BQ for marathon- FAIL

Gotta TRI

My preference is to run out of T1 with cycling shoes on my feet, clip in the left and push off. For the dismount I like to take my feet out before the finish and dismount barefoot. I find it to be pretty quick to throw on running shoes and head out.
              2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon