Swim Bike Run

Tri suit or top/bottom (Read 295 times)

Tri suit or top/bottom? For olympic distance. No wetsuit

The voice of mile 18

depends on the fit. I like going with seperates but that's just me don't like the feel of the trisuit

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Gotta TRI

Personally I don't have the abs to warrant a two piece. I prefer the one, though it is a hassle in the bathroom.
        2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon

TRIing to beat the heat!

I debate this exact thing over and over again. I wore a tri tank and tri shorts for my last tri. I've been debating on wearing a tri suit for my next one so that I don't have the hassle of messing with my tri tank after the swim (I swim in padded bikini bottoms or tri shorts & tri bra top). On the other hand, a tri suit seems like it would be ungodly hot here in So. FL. I 'need' ventilation. So my next option is to just do the whole thing in what I swim in and just ditch the tri tank (which I would add in T1) entirely. I'm not sure I'm brave enough to bare that much skin for an entire event, though. I know the pros do it, but man... Too many options and ya know, you can practice the options at home... but it still doesn't simulate how you'll feel on race day. It's sort of a thing that I think you need to try out event by event. Eventually 'something' should click and then you can just stick with that option forevermore!

2012 Goals

Sub-1:42 for half marathon √ (1:41 at Disney, Jan '12)

Sub-22 for 5k √ (21:51 in Sept '12)

BQ for marathon- FAIL

I'm glad I found this group-I'm new to Triathlons and have been wondering the same thing. I mostly don't like the way the onesies look, but don't know what others use in a race. Also seems weird to wear the same thing for all 3-I'd like to put on a dry shirt at some point. This is even more magnified when wearing a wetsuit (to me).
              I use the top/bottom combo (and as I near 40 have been reduced to 2-pack abs on a good day) and I expose only a sliver of my beer-sculpted abs. So I'd vote for going with whatever is more comfortable. As for a single shirt over the event, I find that my tri top pretty much dries out while I'm on the bike but that could be due to my blazing bike speed! Big grin
              GP160

I used a tri singlet once. Hated it. 2 piece ever since. Easier to use the bathroom and looks better. Very few people can wear a tri singlet and look good, IMHO. VERY FEW.
                Ironman Louisville 8-30-09

Gotta TRI

I find transitions go quicker with out having to put on a shirt. uickly as wellThe bike ride generally dries you off pretty quickly as well. And again, I don't feel comfortable showing off my lack abs. But like Peter said, whatever you feel comfortable in.
                  2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
                    I used the one peice tri suit a few times and its just too hot. So I switched to a two peice competition style swimsuit under a wetsuit (or without the wetsuit) then cycling clothes on top of it. Stays a lot cooler that way. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

You guys, dont care what you look like. Its all about speed, comfort and efficiency. Besides youre doing a tri and any man doing a tri automatically looks like pro athlete. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

protoplasm72

You guys, dont care what you look like. Its all about speed, comfort and efficiency. Besides youre doing a tri and any man doing a tri automatically looks like pro athlete. Laurie
                        This Sunday I passed a 60+ year old guy on the run leg who was wearing just a speedo. That was just wrong on so many levels. He definitely did not look like a pro athlete.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Ok well maybe not pro athletes but good. Its the rock star syndrome. A triathlete is instant hot. Just like the average rock stars that always seem to get the models. Laurie

go Care Bear go!

I did a couple of tris last year in the top/bottom combo with a top that was pretty much a sports bra. I tossed on a shirt (singlet, tank top) for the bike and run. This year I tried on a one piece Danskin just because it was on sale (I surely didn't need it!) but it was actually pretty flattering and so of course I had to buy it! It is super comfortable and I feel pretty good in it. It isn't too tough to deal with but of course the 2 piece gear is easier in the portapotty. I've done 2 races in it and another this weekend that I will probably wear it for. I think with alot of this tri stuff, it's trial and error and personal preference.
                              One more question on tops- any preference on tank vs sleeveless for men? Do most people wear the sleeveless?
                                I have a tri suit but have never used it. I feel so self consious in it. I will try it on at home and then never venture out the door in it.