UK Ultra Runners

Getting the Mojo back (Read 412 times)

ultra-Bobban

Cider IS carb loading

Is it me or is it something to do with a long long race and it all goes quiet afterwards?

I was quite bullish in the week after the Ridgeway. All endorphins and big chested. Then came a week of being able to run. And run fast, 6.30s to be precise. And then I got ill. A cold, followed by another cold followed by a very high fever and 2 days off work. I never take days off work.......and no running of significance.

I am now in the mood to regain my Mojo although I appear to be hampered by meetings, weddings and weekends away, planned in the dim and distant past......."Oh that's fine.....it's after the Ridgeway, I'm free then". But the hardest thing is getting started to want to get outdoors and hit some 8 minute mile railway that lasts for 3-4 hours in the days that are gradually being stolen by the nights, bit by bit by bit. Soon it will be time to get out the longs and the hat.

So I need a challenge. Winter Tanners. Tick. Country to Capital. Tick. (Housman 100 for summer 2011. Big Tick!)

But what until then. I need a couple of good quality XC marathons. Dirty. Fun. That's what will bring back my mojo.

Any ideas?

A whistful rant from my blog

http://ultrabobban.blogspot.com/

Rob

I was just thinking about you on my way back from London today. I was do training for work and decided to run from Monument to my pad, the route I took was about 13 miles and was grumbling about my general feel, legs hurt, foot hurt, heart rate up and then I realised I had run a 1:40 half,  a PB and I wasn't even trying.

Mileage is by no means near what it was yet but I am getting over the foot problem and dare I say it just feeling right to run this week.

As for the early evenings, I just go out with a headtorch now but not at all keen on the woods.

I am seriously down as I have no direction to go at the moment, Brecon is out (I got another lecturing contract at the Uni) I keep missing Winter Tanners so may have a go this year, C2C...maybe although I am looking at Thames Trot at the mo. Now Housman 100 let me think about that one I am very keen to get that out of my system.

Jerry
      A runners blog-updated daily

Hi Gents

I think we were all quietly recovering after the Ridgeway, but we are all now back on the path to running and enjoying it.

As for events, i am looking at the Thames Trot 50miler in Feb as well but in the mean time i am going to do the Greensand Mara

on the 17th October and as per you Bobban looking to do a couple more before the end of the year. Well done on your time Jerry,

seems like the long miles have had a good effect on our speed endurance.

Be good to meet up soon for a little (marathon Smile) jog.

PB's

1mile: 5:36 - 20/06/2012 - Arethusa Mile (Bushy Park)

5K: 18:55 - 24/07/11 - Bushy Park

10K: 39:15 - 19/03/11 - 2nd 10k of below race

Half Mara: 1:26.50 - 19/03/11 - Dorney Lake 1:26.50)

Mara: 3:12.50 - 04/062012 - Kent Roadrunner

50k (Trail): 4:34.37 - 12/08/2012 - Salisbury 54321

50miles (Trail): 7:27.43 - 04/02/2012 - Thames Trot 50

100miles (Trail): 22:14.10 - 03/03/2012 - Thamespath 100 (102miles)

George is running the Surrey Strider tomorrow but as on next week we will be back in training together with mutual goals. I am keen to chuck in a few LDWA events as they are always cheap good value and a good 30 mile XCR pursuit. So it looks like I am doing the Gatliff Marathon (50km), the Winter Tanners looks good to go and then Thames Trot which are nice little numbers to get me/us through the Winter low season

Jerry
          A runners blog-updated daily

ultra-Bobban

Cider IS carb loading

I've joined the LDWA last week. £13 and it means the Housman is about £14 cheaper and obviously cheaper entry to all the events.

I am at a wedding in Winchester the day before Gatliff so that is likely to be out. I am in Norfolk on doing field work wih school on the Greensand weekend.

There are a few others that I will get back to you on.......possibly an LDWA event next sunday called White cliffs and is a 30. I might fancy a slow trot round. Clarendon is on the 3rd October and I really enjoyed that last year. Busy the next 2 weekends but 24th October is the Founders Marathon.

I would love to do the tanners and the thames trot.

I think 2011 is going to be HUGE

Some good events gents. I may do the first day of 'The Toad Challenge' next weekend which is a 30miler from Oxford on the same route as the Thames Trot, so may use it as a recce for the Thames Trot which i aim to do in Feb (hopefully with you 2). WIll venture out for about 13 to15miles tomorrow and see how it goes.

PB's

ultra-Bobban

Cider IS carb loading

£40 for 29 miles along the thames? And you'd have to get back to the start!!

I am opting for £7 for 30 miles http://www.ldwa.org.uk/challenge_events/show_event.php?event_id=6790

And the white cliffs, downs and chalkland meadows of late summer and a probably traffic free journey............and not a suicidally early start?? I am going for the White Cliffs. It will be a minimal event but 5 hours should do it and I'm not sure the field will be huge!! It could be a winning event for us??!

Good point hadn't actually noticed it was £40!!! The White Cliffs looks great value, but the 12 o'clock start will not go down well with Mrs Immune as it will mean me being out all day for a 30miler. Might see what else there is locally, i know there is the extreme terrain festival next weekend in Camberley though it is only Half Mara distance around really nice trails so be good to have another blast over a short distance.

PB's

Hey guys, was talking to Jerry earlier (full race report also) and I am in for Gatliff 50km as well.

Brilliant value I have to say. Perfect way to end the year race wise although just want to have fun on that day.

Agree with everyone here 2011 will be a great year.