UK Ultra Runners

Hello......is anyone out there? (Read 461 times)

Hi All

Where have you all gone. I must admit i have not posted either but check in every day to have a nose around, but no posts

from the usual suspects for AAAGGGEEESSSS.

PB's

1mile: 5:36 - 20/06/2012 - Arethusa Mile (Bushy Park)

5K: 18:55 - 24/07/11 - Bushy Park

10K: 39:15 - 19/03/11 - 2nd 10k of below race

Half Mara: 1:26.50 - 19/03/11 - Dorney Lake 1:26.50)

Mara: 3:12.50 - 04/062012 - Kent Roadrunner

50k (Trail): 4:34.37 - 12/08/2012 - Salisbury 54321

50miles (Trail): 7:27.43 - 04/02/2012 - Thames Trot 50

100miles (Trail): 22:14.10 - 03/03/2012 - Thamespath 100 (102miles)

I am around doing the same Big grin

I am doing Gatliff 50 km on Sunday with George and Richard so won't be doing anything excessive this week, possibly about 10-11 tonight and then a smallish run on Thursday.

Then it is the start of the GUCR training taking baby steps at first and then slowly but surely building up.

What you up to?

Jerry
      A runners blog-updated daily

Hi Jerry

I read that your night run went well. Gatliff sounds good, alas family stuff means it is not something i can join in, so have fun.

I am ticking over quite nicely at the mo around the 50 - 55miles a week mark, easy week last week felt nice, just looking

for some bods to run with on my w/e long runs, gets a bit tough doing all long runs on your own (get the violins out!!!).

Have the Portsmouth Coastal Mara in a couple of weeks and depending on weather may try and beat my road PB, which

is pretty slow, so do-able. Just finalising my xmas list, and there are a fair few running orientated pressies on there, although

fairly sure i wont get all of them.

Also see Purdey was not lucky enough to be the reserve list either for GUCR, must be fate that he is not to do GUCR 2011 but

you never know, injuries etc could still make it happen but i think Leadville 100 is now his goal event.

I may need to call on your running skills / assistance next year for something i have planned, more details to follow.

PB's

Purdey

Self anointed title

Hi guys. I am still here. Been suffering with strained cruciate ligaments in my knee - so not running. yep - I've discounted GUCR as I'm right near the very bottom of names pulled! I think you're right Mr I : it was fate. Leadville is definitely my focus now. I have my pacer sorted out, hotel booked, flight booked etc. Now I just need to do some training. Goal will be to get comfortably under 25hrs. Might even think of going a bit faster - altitude will be the killer.

Hi Jerry

I read that your night run went well. Gatliff sounds good, alas family stuff means it is not something i can join in, so have fun.

I am ticking over quite nicely at the mo around the 50 - 55miles a week mark, easy week last week felt nice, just looking

for some bods to run with on my w/e long runs, gets a bit tough doing all long runs on your own (get the violins out!!!).

Have the Portsmouth Coastal Mara in a couple of weeks and depending on weather may try and beat my road PB, which

is pretty slow, so do-able. Just finalising my xmas list, and there are a fair few running orientated pressies on there, although

fairly sure i wont get all of them.

Also see Purdey was not lucky enough to be the reserve list either for GUCR, must be fate that he is not to do GUCR 2011 but

you never know, injuries etc could still make it happen but i think Leadville 100 is now his goal event.

I may need to call on your running skills / assistance next year for something i have planned, more details to follow.

Cool, give me a shout when you need me, if it is a big commitment some lead in time would be appreciated.

Tom., I haven't ben reading everything about your knee, yuck, I hadn't realised it was the cruciate ligaments, take it very easy

Jerry

Purdey

Self anointed title

Yeah - it is a bit of a bugger. The typical "footballers injury" apparently. The most gutting thing is that I did it while walking the dog! Slipped on some bloody wet leaves.

ultra-Bobban

Cider IS carb loading

still here. Have put on almost a stone since the Ridgeway. Ran the founders and came in 6th about a month ago. Have been reunning really minimally, circa 15-20 miles a week with some very heavy work pressures and weekend committments put off from before the Ridgeway. Factor in theat I complete on a house on Thursday!

This last 2 weeks I have taken to task and started the training in earnest....I think I actually needed a break. Ran the Surrey League XC last saturday after training the beginners at the club, so my first non-race run over 12 miles at 18 miles. Ran a hilly XC race as the last 10k of an 18 mile run on a hangover and managed just under 46 mins which is 5 mins off my PB but at the end of a LSR was good. Now look to be doing my first 50-60 mile week since tapering in late august. The mody mass is reducing and I can feel something of a return to enjoying pounding he streets of South London.

I am looking forward to Portsmouth XC marathon next week. I won't be looking at anything like a PB, just a get round in about 4 hours. I will save the PB on a return to form and probably a course that I like for fast running and that is Black Dog in April. I want to see if I can go sub-3.20 this year.

Hope you are all doing well. Fancy hooking up for a beer before Xmas to recount some tales like the flying last 1/4 of the SDM in 7s?

http://ultrabobban.blogspot.com/

I must admit it has been bloody quiet. But considering the year everyone has had, I am not surprised. Everyone needs some downtime...

Looking forward to some weekend fun at Gatliff having avoided a transport problem at the last minute. Might be some snow on the ground so it will definitely be case of wrapping up warm, try not to ice skate too much and have a whisky at the end Smile

Was trying to plan a 100 miler in for next year but proving difficult due to BGR recces and balancing domestic life. Found out Grimsthorpe are doing a 105 mile race on the same loop I did the 70 on this year (27 hour time limit) entries open now. www.fat-feet.co.uk Also there is a new series of races taking place on the same weekend on the North Downs with a 26.2, 50 and 100 mile races although prices look steep thats a great race to get involved in http://www.centurionrunning.com/centurion-races/

This is on the weekend of August 13th. I am absolutely gutted as I have a wedding to go to and I cannot get out of it Cry

I saw the Centurion stuff but it is sucha  god awful month to have a long race as that is holiday season and it cannot be guaranteed to be around, I got away with Ridgeway....just this year

Looking at the slide show on that site you can see SAM_0138 onwards are Box Hill with the steps up and down to the stepping stones, which is part of the course for the Midsummer Munro, the Winter and Summer Tanners (well just about 800 yards away. They are a bastard on any day but on a 100 mile run, total insanityBig grin

Jerry

The Grimsthorpe 70 / 105 looks interesting, nice location, no navigation required but it is laps, which i seem to have an aversion to

for some reason and pretty cheap. The centurion runs are a bit pricey and i think i will prefer to do the SDW 103 with Bobban, than

the NDW which is out an back rather than point to point. Again, personal preference.

So many races, but defo wont get the OK to do all of them.

PB's

ultra-Bobban

Cider IS carb loading

laps? Not sure about that. More likely to drop out if you feel as low as immune at 2.00am on the Ridgeway (note; should've stuffed your face with hotdogs and coke mate!!! Wink mmmmm)

Now the Centurion looks like a mission! The idea of soing th SDW in July and the NDW in august.......a double hundred taking in both sets of Downs......that would be THE challenge of 2011. Then if feeling saucy, it would be a late entry to the Ridgeway and round off the summer.

OK this now sounds like bravado and pride comes before a fall and all that but I think that despite the price of the Centurion, one would easliy fleece double that in petrol and accomodation in a hotel in lincolnshire! The NDW finishes in Knockholt, about 5 miles from Jerry's house and only about 15 from mine! We could get roaring drunk afterwards and be home in time for tea! What do we know about this James Elson - race director fella? Surely we must have met him before and his times seem to equate to ours??

And as for holiday season? it fits in perfectly with me as both are in the summer school hols for me!!!

http://ultrabobban.blogspot.com/